Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 926746 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #7050 on: 26 May, 2024, 01:07:39 pm »
I've spent about an hour reading a lot of material online about golden rice.

On balance and for many reasons I doubt the integrity of the project.  It feels to me like another revolution of the wheel that Friends of the Earth were fighting back in the early noughties against large biotechs like Monsanto. 

Key to this is apparently the amount of vitamin A actually in the rice is so insignificant as to make no real difference at all.

It worries me that organisations like the Bill Gates Foundation have put money into this.  The power and influence of such organisations tends to have greater influence in the halls of power than local farmers.

I am not saying that GM or GE as they are framing it in this instance is always bad but I am cautious as to the motives of huge multinational biotechs as theirs are businesses driven by profit, not by philanthropy.

« Reply #7051 on: 26 May, 2024, 01:19:16 pm »
Reading the article referenced suggests to me that its far from a black and white argument. I'm not clear, for example, who controls the seedbank? Where farmers may have built up their own resource right now, if this new yellow rice is one of these sterile varieties that needs them to buy new seeds every year...

There is a lot here that is not clear

A bit of reading suggests that there are no current GM crops sold that are sterile, and that includes Golden Rice, which as a project has been around for ages. So called “terminator’ or “suicide” seeds were originally produced to pacify the likes of Greenpeace who were concerned about hybridisation, but your perspective (sole supplier of seed being the patent owner) generated such adverse publicity that they were never commercially deployed. I think the suppliers switched to producing pesticides & herbicides and then making GM crops that were resistant to the specific chemicals in their products to ensure continuity of sales.

To take fd3’s point, there are many ways of addressing Vitamin A deficiency, but adding it to a food that is a major staple in areas where VAD is commonplace seems a sensible approach. Yes, Syngenta own the patent, but that’s the way of the world. The scientists who originated the concept were never going to bring it to market without funding from a major business.

As for GM foods, I’m growing 2 in my garden, and have done for years. A sweetcorn and a tomato, both F1 hybrids. They seem to hav passed Greenpeace by - or maybe it wasn’t enough of a David and Goliath contest for them.   

And x-post with PB, but from a different perspective.

As to the vitamin A content, this is in a foodstuff that makes up the majority of the diet in the area the product was to be deployed..

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7052 on: 26 May, 2024, 02:08:17 pm »
I don't have a problem with GM, everything we grow is GM through selective breeding, the difference is the splicing so we get glow in the dark aubergine-squids or something.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7053 on: 26 May, 2024, 02:23:48 pm »
Well known Supertwat Barton in expensive hot water.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/may/24/joey-barton-calling-jeremy-vine-a-bike-nonce-was-defamatory-judge-rules

Not yet but hopefully soon!  Vine still needs to prove reputational damage and loss, and even then SuperTwat Barton can still present a defence.  ST Barton may be best advised to offer to settle before trial, but then again I am not sure he is the sort of bloke who takes legal advice.

« Reply #7054 on: 26 May, 2024, 11:29:50 pm »
Gove
Lest anyone get sentimental as he retires, hated by teachers, school kids and parents.  Excellent work increasing the gap between kids in private and comp schools.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #7055 on: 31 May, 2024, 07:56:50 pm »
Alastair Campbell - on C4 news tonight.  Drinking a mug of tea whilst being interviewed - just to lend that homely vibe.  Just couldn't wait a couple of minutes to spare us his domesticities.  Once a PR twat always a PR twat.

Not that I blame him for Iraq or David Kelly's death or anything ...
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #7056 on: 31 May, 2024, 08:11:01 pm »
Bear Grylls = Super-Twat

I won't substantiate this opinion, I just believe it to be true.

He's just the warm-up act.  Wait till Cameron and the rest of the Bullingdon Club are running the country.

Prescient words Fred
#makewattsnotwar

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7057 on: 31 May, 2024, 09:30:09 pm »
Alastair Campbell - on C4 news tonight.  Drinking a mug of tea whilst being interviewed - just to lend that homely vibe.  Just couldn't wait a couple of minutes to spare us his domesticities.  Once a PR twat always a PR twat.

Not that I blame him for Iraq or David Kelly's death or anything ...
Recovering alcoholics like you to know.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7058 on: 01 June, 2024, 04:45:07 pm »

ElyDave

« Reply #7059 on: 01 June, 2024, 05:01:28 pm »
They really do have some names ripe for ribaldry don't they

« Reply #7060 on: 01 June, 2024, 11:18:02 pm »
Fer Fox sake.........  after a hard day's  freedom fighting with waxy lemon & Andy Ngo , Lozza appears to have been involved in a prang...    he sounds a little slurred....

https://x.com/DrakesWriter1/status/1797016664405373042 

https://x.com/LozzaFox/status/1796992177605681595

https://x.com/LozzaFox/status/1797009779786703219

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7061 on: 02 June, 2024, 12:55:02 am »
No MOT ergo no insewerants.  And absolutely zero sympathy from the E17 judge.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7062 on: 02 June, 2024, 10:53:42 am »
Looza by name and looza by nature.

« Reply #7063 on: 02 June, 2024, 11:12:33 am »

« Reply #7064 on: 02 June, 2024, 12:42:43 pm »
Fer Fox sake.........  after a hard day's  freedom fighting with waxy lemon & Andy Ngo , Lozza appears to have been involved in a prang...    he sounds a little slurred....

He sounds like he's had more than a couple of pints.

I'll be cheering on the magistrate/judge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7065 on: 02 June, 2024, 03:29:03 pm »
I'm as/more willing to engage in some shadenfreude than the next, but I don't feel that being drunk, getting a list from someone and that person having an accident is much of a story.
I don't know why I would post it on x though.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7066 on: 03 June, 2024, 02:42:51 pm »
I'm as/more willing to engage in some shadenfreude than the next, but I don't feel that being drunk, getting a list from someone and that person having an accident is much of a story.
I don't know why I would post it on x though.

He then went home and called the police, claiming he'd been assaulted and followed home.

Only problem being, he vidoed his journey home, and the video made clear he was neither assaulted nor followed home.

Wasting police time is an offence.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7067 on: 04 June, 2024, 12:42:21 pm »
Not what the xits were about though

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7068 on: 04 June, 2024, 01:03:31 pm »
Not what the xits were about though

They're all linked...

He got in an accident and decided to record/post it (whilst also abusing several bystanders).  When it became clear nobody had any sympathy for him, as the car he was in was in the wrong, he decided to head home, recording himself on a call to his girlfriend.

Once he gets home, he clearly decides he's not had enough attention, and so calls the police to claim that he was assaulted and followed home.  In doing so, he deletes his earlier tweet, which contains the video showing this didn't actually happen - not realising that others had already captured his tweet and the video.

He then videos his chat with two police officers, in which he makes false claims - and also includes video of one of his children (having previously claimed he'd "do" anyone who doxxed his kids).

He's an attention-seeking, narcissistic sociopath.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #7069 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:19:21 pm »
Ian Gribbin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjmmrwexv4ko
One of Farage's little darlings.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #7070 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:28:37 pm »
Ian Gribbin

He's a hedge fund manager

« Reply #7071 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:43:40 pm »
Ian Gribbin
What a nasty little shit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7072 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:51:03 pm »
Farage has always been the only 'kipper that manages to keep his mouth shut when there's a chance he might out himself as a racist.   It's the secret of his success.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7073 on: 15 June, 2024, 02:04:59 pm »
This is a thread for listing those people in the public eye that you absolutely can not abide.

I'll kick off with Bear Grylls.

Bear Grylls - Super-Twat

I won't substantiate this opinion, I just believe it to be true.
Going back to the very first post in this thread, I see Bear Grylls is stepping down as Chief Scout. His baptising of Russell Brand in the Thames recently was never a good look.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

« Reply #7074 on: 15 June, 2024, 05:40:32 pm »
I don't really see anything involving either B Grills, or R brand as in any way a "good thing"