Author Topic: Recommendations for a Brussels sprouts shaver implement, please  (Read 1322 times)

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
J'adore les choux de Bruxelles and enjoy cooking many varied and exciting recipes with the little beauties. A fancy has come up for a salad, possibly combining them with lightly toasted flaked almonds, Parmesan cheese and a 'French' dressing. I have a wonderful late 1960s beech wood and stainless steel "Waefa" Suisse mandolin, which only gets used once a year for preparing potatoes for the Chrimbo 'Dauphinoise'. I wouldn't think such a robust classic tool lends itself to anything smaller that potatoes, lest one's fingernails and slivered fingertops were required in the dish also.

Can anyone recommend a more modern and safer way of shaving lovely fresh green round crinkly orbs?

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
Re: Recommendations for a Brussels sprouts shaver implement, please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »
A very sharp 10" cook's knife?

Personally, I would try the mandoline. We've had a nice modern stainless steel mandoline (with an assortment of blades) sitting in the cupboard gathering dust for several years until I decided to start making it earn its keep, so I try to use it for lots of different things. I've not done sprouts on it but I have done radishes. It comes with a slider attachment to keep your fingers clear but I don't like it so tend to go freestyle. Avoiding fingertip-removal is mainly a case of being very, very careful.

Talking of mandolines, one of my all-time favourite TV cookery clips...
https://youtu.be/YhuRkJcZCfI

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51:00 pm »
I've seen some pretty weird sounding topics on YACF over the years, but this one must surely deserve some kind of award?
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »
This box grater from Cuisipro has a mandolin with a blade the edge of which  has been chemically etched (as indeed all of the blades on the other sides have been) as opposed to more conventionally stamped, making it a Very Sharp Indeed tool.
And one of my favourites in my kitchen armoury.

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 06:19:34 pm »
Talking of mandolines, one of my all-time favourite TV cookery clips...
https://youtu.be/YhuRkJcZCfI

:D

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »
This box grater from Cuisipro has a mandolin with a blade the edge of which  has been chemically etched (as indeed all of the blades on the other sides have been) as opposed to more conventionally stamped, making it a Very Sharp Indeed tool.

That looks good - thank you.

Many years ago when I lived in a very rural hamlet in Wiltshire, my partner and I used to drive up to that London in our 1972 orange Mini Clubman to get precious haircuts and visit Divertimenti - even though we still considered ourselves 'hippies'  :-[

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:21 pm »

That looks good - thank you.

Many years ago when I lived in a very rural hamlet in Wiltshire, my partner and I used to drive up to that London in our 1972 orange Mini Clubman to get precious haircuts and visit Divertimenti - even though we still considered ourselves 'hippies'  :-[

Divertimenti.
A bit of a culinary Mecca.
So much stainless and copper.
So little time.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »
Like Slope, I'm a big fan of sprouts. Kim, I suspect is not. Nevertheless... Aren't any of you foodie cyclists making your mandolines earn their keep by using them to shave your legs?  :o
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
I've seen some pretty weird sounding topics on YACF over the years, but this one must surely deserve some kind of award?
I had an instant image of hairy sprouts followed by (image of) electric razors. There might be the basis of a film there somewhere :demon: .

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:50:03 pm »
I had an instant image of hairy sprouts followed by (image of) electric razors. There might be the basis of a film there somewhere :demon: .

I expect there's pr0n about it in Internetland.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »

I expect there's pr0n about it in Internetland.
I expect it looks a bit like this:
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 09:34:13 pm »
Try fried sprouts, now there's a thing.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:54 pm »
I only ever slice thinly and saute, boiling is  :sick:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 05:13:57 pm »
Turns out this post wasn't a euphemism after all.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 05:15:42 pm »
I only ever slice thinly and saute, boiling is  :sick:

Or if small, just halved and sautéd in butter and Malden salt until tender to suit and preferably with the odd crispy dark edges :)

But back to my OP - I settled on this excellent advice

A very sharp 10" cook's knife?