Author Topic: South Bucks Winter Warmer  (Read 18219 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: South Bucks Winter Warmer
« Reply #50 on: 02 December, 2009, 01:58:06 pm »
Unless I'm being confused by multiple sets of locks, those come pretty close to the end.  Seeing them in daylight will require a pretty fast ride.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #51 on: 02 December, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »
Almost certain DNS for me, too much other stuff going on. Will try and remember to email John when I know for sure...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bullhorn Ballard

« Reply #52 on: 04 December, 2009, 08:28:54 pm »
Forecast looking like early rain then clear and not too cold if the beeb is to be believed.
Hoping to be there.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #53 on: 05 December, 2009, 12:40:59 pm »
R4 this morning said something along the lines of not a bad weekend, Sunday being the better of the 2 days, especially in the South East.
I was trying to sleep at the time but then snippet caught my attention  ;D

LEE

« Reply #54 on: 05 December, 2009, 06:00:16 pm »
3 separate forecasts agree on the following:

Rain then Showers in the morning getting less until the sun breaks through and rain goes away for lunch.

Fairly breezy South Westerlies all day but getting weaker and weaker thoughout the day.

Temp varying around 10C by a couple of degrees either way all day.

You can't really hope for much better in December really.  It will be nice to get the worst over with in the morning and have a wind-assisted ride home with a bit of sun on our backs.  Far better than the opposite.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #55 on: 05 December, 2009, 06:03:58 pm »
Yep, weather is certainly looking like could-be-much-worse.

My sleep cycle isn't quite as deranged as I feared, and -- while I'm not sure I'd quite describe the bike as "fettled" since I'm currently running mismatched cranks -- at least the dreaded ticking noise seems to be cured.  So I'm looking forward to this one.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #56 on: 05 December, 2009, 07:59:10 pm »
I opted for a 200k DIY in the end. I just haven't managed to get enough miles in over the last few weeks. It's just as well, because I struggled round the middle section of the ride, and was finding it difficult to just keep the pedals going round.

Note to self: get more miles in before attempting to ride 200km again!

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #57 on: 06 December, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »
Wet start - head/cross wind until the turn at Alton - sharp shower a 3pm - tailwind back to HQ.  Pretty much as the forecast predicted.  Made for a relatively benign winter 200.

I had forgotten how tough parts of this ride is.  I should have remembered that there is no flat way into or out of Haslemere, but Nutcombe Lane was cruel.  Riding fixed meant that some of the hills were just not doable without reverting to pied a terre.

I should also have remembered that HQ in the Chilterns, atop a ridge, makes for a tough last hour of riding, up until the last climb of the day that takes you (bar 50 yards) to the warming sensation of soup.

Martin

« Reply #58 on: 06 December, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »
there is no flat way into or out of Haslemere, but Nutcombe Lane was cruel.  Riding fixed meant that some of the hills were just not doable without reverting to pied a terre.

you are presumably talking about Glen Lea; that's hard enough on a summer 100 (the Sussex Corker does it) let alone a winter 200. It's pretty easy to avoid though

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #59 on: 07 December, 2009, 08:19:50 am »
there is no flat way into or out of Haslemere, but Nutcombe Lane was cruel.  Riding fixed meant that some of the hills were just not doable without reverting to pied a terre.

you are presumably talking about Glen Lea; that's hard enough on a summer 100 (the Sussex Corker does it) let alone a winter 200. It's pretty easy to avoid though

Not if there is an info at the top and you don't know the answer....

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #60 on: 07 December, 2009, 09:36:42 am »
Ooof.  My knees are going creak this morning.  It's possible that my bodged-together chainset contributed to this, but I'm going to blame the cluster of hills in the last 15K or so.

Lovely route though, and apart from the first hour, the weather was really pretty good.

LEE

« Reply #61 on: 07 December, 2009, 09:42:32 am »
Phew! That went from an easy ride to a tough one in just one stage.

I arrived at 7:55 just as everyone was preparing to leave.  By the time I'd registered everyone was leaving and I still had to get my bike out of the car.

At about 8:10, just as I was about to set off, the heavens opened.  I can only assume everyone got a good soaking.
I waited with 4 or 5 others until around 8:25 when it eased off considerably (later turning into a very nice morning and early afternoon).

Setting off late meant I rode pretty much alone for several hours.
I missed the "Brewers Fayre" turning to Saville Gardens whist riding and  chatting to a local cyclist and ended up in Staines (There went another half an hour correcting my mistake - I really don't like route sheets without distances).  Since Saville Gardens was open by the time I got there I decided on a Coffee and cake stop rather than a quick "stamp & go".

I didn't start catching people until Alton, where I caught Swarm_Catcher a couple of miles before the Supermarket Cafe, so that was 120km on my own really.

Swarm_Catcher headed off with Pete Turnbull and I said I'd catch them later on the Twyford stage (famous last words).

I tagged along with YACF's Lycraman and 2 others from Alton (as it was getting dark at that point).

We were making slow but adequate progress (one of the 4 had a double gear failure and so was riding single-speed against his wishes) when there was the rifle-shot explosion of my rear "Gatorskin" pinching a big hole out of the inner tube as I hit a big stone.

Lycraman stayed with me (a big relief I have to say) whilst the other two rode on.  New tube fitted we rode on to Twyford, taking it easy.  I knew we would finish in time but with not much to spare.  Then the rear went again as I hit a pot hole on a long descent.  New tube, lots of apologies to Lycraman for holding him up yet again.  I noticed that the tyre was in a very bad way, the tread was slashed and the sidewall was torn (it's a virtually new tyre and, if I'm being honest, a load of crap).  I had to ease back on the pressure to prevent the tyrewall bursting open so I half inflated it and rode slowly and carefully from that point.

It was while I was singing the praises of my front tyre (a Schwalbe Marathon fitted to my dynohub wheel) that I got a front puncture with about 5km to go.

I just pumped it up and did the final hill (a longer climb than I was expecting truth be told) and final stretch on 2 rather squidgy tyres.

I was 2 places from Lanterne Rouge (one of the 2 behind me suffered 2 punctures).

Verdict:  I shall remove Continental Gatorskins from my Fratello.  The condition of the rear makes me wonder whether they are suited to winter lanes.  Marathons will be fitted.  They aren't puncture-proof but they don't get torn up as badly and I've never had a pinch puncture on one.

I liked the ride but not the route sheet. I wish I'd taken a GPS now, it would have saved me an hour or more.

It was great to have the company of Lycraman for the final 36km. It was only a short stage but it would have seemed a lot longer on my own, fixing flats on wet verges and grinding up some of those final hills.

Tip to any Alligators thinking of coming to South Bucks for a holiday:  Don't.  Based on my "Gator Skins" your skin isn't suited to the area and you could suffer potentially fatal lacerations to your underbelly.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #62 on: 07 December, 2009, 09:59:31 am »
To be honest Lee, I am not sure what can survive the lanes around flinty lands at the moment. We have had so much rain, they are covered in faerie dust.

I had 4 puntures on the club run last Sunday and that was on Conti GP 4 Seasons, including a slash in the sidewall.

H

« Reply #63 on: 07 December, 2009, 10:52:54 am »
LEE, what a ride for you!  I couldn't understand why you hadn't caught us up - now all is revealed.  I was shattered at the end of the ride and wondered how I ever did a 300/400.  I'm done with cycling for 2009! See you at the Poor Student.

« Reply #64 on: 07 December, 2009, 11:19:08 am »
The winter warmer is one tough ride. Didn't even enter this year as no chance of finishing - it may only be 200 but the combination of weather, terrain and darkness & punctures  make it challenging - lots of lonely lanes in the dark and rain etc.
It is easy and quite fast in the summer though - completely different.

LEE

« Reply #65 on: 07 December, 2009, 11:22:40 am »
LEE, what a ride for you!  I couldn't understand why you hadn't caught us up - now all is revealed.  I was shattered at the end of the ride and wondered how I ever did a 300/400.  I'm done with cycling for 2009! See you at the Poor Student.

Yes, how is it possible to do a 300, 400 or 600 (or, in your case, a 1200) ?

I felt great up to Twyford but the final 36km "puncture stage" really took it out of me.  In the end I did about 5 hours night-riding which isn't that much less than during a summer 400.  A lot of the final stage was on fairly messy, gravel-strewn lanes, combined with a route-sheet that required a fair degree of concentration I was glad to get it over with in the end.

Give me a set of Marathons and a GPS next time.

Anyway, the ride got me my 1km/hr average speed for the year, so that's one target achieved.

« Reply #66 on: 07 December, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »
Well done Lee for persevering. I certainly agree about GPS - I don't contemplate any events now without it. Partly this is because I've slung away all my lashed-up routesheet holders but mostly I can't be faffed with all the struggle to read them in the rain (I need reading specs) and unfolding and refolding. And also because the standard of routesheet writing is so variable - there seems to be a fashion with some people for cramming everything into the smallest possible space!

However, there's no substitute (apart from knowing the route from previous experience) for some preliminary homework - this was my first attempt at this ride and I wasted a good five minutes wandering about at Alston looking for the correct way across the river. The GPS showed me going off course whichever road I took and foxed me until I remembered having read the instructions at home when studying the terrain on Memory Map - one instance where routesheet readers would have had the advantage! Although to be fair, Ron's .gpx track was deadly accurate.

I managed to plod around this one without stopping too long anywhere, although next time I'll hope to remember to use the garages at the Sainsbury's controls to cut down the time taken wandering about looking for stuff in a vast grocery emporium!

Rather surprisingly, given the state of some of the roads, I avoided any visitations from the P... fairy (Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres; recommended). But I had to stop once, just before dark and after the p.m. rain, to put on an extra layer. The Goretex jacket worked well but I'd sweated into my base layer and was then getting cold - I still haven't cracked this "layering to wick away the sweat and keep dry" thing, which I suspect is a bit of a myth, at least for those of us who can't get along without working up a real lather on t'hilly bits.

Talking of which, I can tolerate the ascents normally - just gear down and plod away - but having the knee-stretchers come right at the lost knockings when technically I've finished my 200k and just want my tea and cake really upset me!

I didn't get to meet any other YACFers, I don't think. I did ask one guy if he was on the forum but he didn't have a clue what I was on about! Perhaps we should get some "bumper stickers" made along the lines of the little round Audax ones, that could go on your rear 'guard/saddlepack?!

All things considered I enjoyed this ride, although there were times when I felt there was a bit too much fast-traffic-roads; this might be just me; I particularly dislike being passed at close quarters by speeding drivers after dark and generally would rather put up with knarly lanes instead, even if it means harder riding. Not sure I'd want to tackle it on icy roads though, as I gather some people have done in previous years.

Bullhorn Ballard

« Reply #67 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »
Luckily arrived a few mins late so avoided the downpour while picking up the Brevet card and then waiting for 10mins or so. On the 1st leg particularly, I found the roads a bit busy. Pasta & chips at Sainsbury's (although I'd asked for the veg not the chips) and an enormous bit of cake gave a bit of a boost but still found the 2nd leg to Alton a bit of a struggle. Again, luckily avoided the heavy shower at the Alton stop. 3rd leg had me wondering why I was doing this but the 36km to the finish made up for it, riding in a group of 8 or so made things easier and raised spirits, even the final 3 hills didn't seem too terrible. Overall, found it very tough, definitely harder and slower than the Upper Thames a few weeks back.
Normally steer clear of too much technology but yes, GPS would have been very useful, esp. as I'd forgotten the head torch. Not nice to take eyes off road for too long at this time of year in the dark either.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #68 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:11:21 pm »
GPS+lithium batteries.  Awesome.  I got around 26 hours out of this setup (over the course of 2 rides) of which around 10 were with the backlight on constantly.  With Alkaline's I get around 12 with 4 hours backlight, and with rechargeables even less.

As for tyres, I am loving Marathon Plus for winter riding.  Very tough and roll surprisingly well.  I've got 28's on my fixed (rode yesterday) and rode up to York the previous week on 25's.  Their only drawback is that they are a bugger to fit (if you buy them, get a speedlever and a downhill tyre lever - makes things much easier) and if not done properly can be tempermental.

PS: If the tandem riders who loaned me the Park Tools tool set are on the forum, thanks again.  You've no idea how much easier that made repairing my tyre  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »
On the 1st leg particularly, I found the roads a bit busy.
My memory of 2007 is probably a bit ropey, but ...
The section to Godalming, once you get out of the smaller roads (last 12 miles?), was pretty rubbish. Having lived over there, I wasn't surprised - the busier B-roads can be awful in Surrey, too much traffic for their design, and drivers too impatient. After Godalming it got MUCH nicer [and then got much harder!].

I took the diversion from the A3 down to Sainsbury's (thru Farncombe) - it's a squidge shorter and a quieter road. I'd suggest it to the organiser, but I guess it adds a couple of instructions.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #70 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:55:34 pm »
Well I don't think enjoy is the right word to use to describe the South Bucks Winter Wetter Warmer!
This was my first attempt at an Audax since I withdrew from the Severn Across, feeling exhausted at Tewkesbury, so I was feeling quite cautious about going off too fast, my usual mistake.
I arrived late and set off at about 8.20, latching onto Greg and James who are non-ACFers. James it was who lost the use of his gears after the cable let go.
We proceeded round the route, using a combination of my GPS and the route sheet, and mostly found our way, although not without unwanted diversions.
I met Lee at Alton, and he has already described his tyre adventures better than I could. I felt very lucky to get round without a visitation. I have a Conti Sport Contact on the front and have re-fitted the original rear tyre (can't remember make - Hutchinson???) that came with my bike 5 years ago, and still has good tread. The main culprit is the sharp gravel that gets washed into the road by heavy overnight rain, so unless you have a bren-gun carrier on tracks, you are likely to get a puncture.
The best part of my day was a hot bath and two glasses of red wine.
Might consider the Poor Student in January, proving that I am a sucker for punishment.
Lycra Man

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #71 on: 07 December, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »
Well I don't think enjoy is the right word to use to describe the South Bucks Winter Wetter Warmer!

Joy is what you feel when a winter audax ends!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #72 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:01:50 pm »

Yes, how is it possible to do a 300, 400 or 600 (or, in your case, a 1200) ?

I think you mean 1400.

No wonder you went off route if swarm_catcher's fears (via twitter) were true

Cafe stop. In good company with Pete. Wondering where LEE is. Hopefully he's with Mel Kirkland. #audax

:o
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Chris S

« Reply #73 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »
I suspect you folks had the better of the two days; the last three hours of the Tinsel & Lanes was Wet Wet Wet on Saturday.

The lanes are a gritty/flinty soup right now - Marathon Plus for me on the Pompino, even if they are heavy to haul up hills.

It feels great to finish a testing winter 200, doesn't it?

« Reply #74 on: 07 December, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »

Joy is what you feel when a winter audax ends!

And a Winter Audax in the mild South East is like a summer Audax in Wales (or the Moorfoot Hills).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."