Author Topic: Recommended SIM provider for PAYG?  (Read 1845 times)

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
Recommended SIM provider for PAYG?
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:53:20 pm »
After 19 delightful years with T-Mobile, EE bought T-Mobile, switched me (and everyone else) over to an EE SIM and has now cancelled my number and credit. I have lost both. Unbelievable customer service!

I have a twin-SIM mobile that I use for voice calls and text messages, no internet or games or stuff. I usually spend about £30 per year on PAYG credit. Some companies (web sites, usually) insist on a UK number so I would like to continue to have a UK SIM.

As I am starting over I don't feel particularly keen on EE. I am happy with my O2 Slovak SIM so would consider O2 in the UK but you may know better than me. Who do you recommend?

Re: Recommended SIM provider for PAYG?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48:10 pm »
I use Virgin Mobile, a monthly SIM-only myself, and a pay as you go SIM for Mrs O, which she rarely uses.

It uses the EE network, but all dealings are with Virgin, never had a problem, always seem helpful.

CAMRAMan

• Formerly A Warwickshire Lad
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 02:51:08 pm »
Lester, when I was in Hungary I set up a landline UK number with a VOIP provider. Skype do something similar. I used that for UK orders. Might be an alternative for you?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 03:03:37 pm »
Three 3-2-1 SIM-only plan. PAYG credit does not expire, importantly.  3p/min for calls, 2p per text (1p/mb of data but you don't do data).  Simples!
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »
Worth a look at Giffgaff as well. Uses the O2 network. Fairly cheap for most things, including international calls I think. Credit doesn't expire, so long as you make a call/text every 6 months to keep it active.

Or O2's new 321 PAYG tariff looks pretty good.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 03:48:53 pm »
... Virgin Mobile ... uses the EE network ...

Unless I have no choice I will steer completely clear of EE. It is difficult to want to do business with a company that has just stolen my phone number and credit.

... a landline UK number with a VOIP provider ...

VOIP had crossed my mind. I need to learn more about it but sure, it is a possibility. Thanks.

Three 3-2-1 SIM-only plan. PAYG credit does not expire, importantly.  3p/min for calls, 2p per text (1p/mb of data but you don't do data).  Simples!

My new Nokia 216 dual-SIM phone is 2G. 3 SIMs only work on 3G and 4G. Drat! Otherwise, that looks ideal.

dim

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:52:21 pm »
I have an O2 pay as you go package ...

£10 a month gets me 1000 texts, 250 minutes call time, and 500 MB of data (they also have a £15 and a £20 pay as you go option)

I was with Vodaphone, but o2 has a better signal in my village
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 03:54:25 pm »
A 3 SIM has been working without problems for me in France for the last year, alongside a French SFR SIM.  Well now I cast my mind back there was a 2 day outage for roaming users due to some 3 technical c0ck-up across at least France and Spain, I do recall.

Even changed from my previous 3 pay monthly plan to pay as you go while in France.  A downside is that 3 only gives you 3G connections, but for voice and text it is fine.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 04:05:02 pm »
O2 and Giffgaff use 4G, which is odd as I have O2 in Slovakia and it works fine on my new 2G handset.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far; they are giving lots of leads to study further.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 04:16:54 pm »
O2 and Giffgaff use 4G, which is odd as I have O2 in Slovakia and it works fine on my new 2G handset.
The O2 network includes 2G, 3G and 4G coverage. They will still work fine with a 2G handset. There's still large parts of the country where you can only get a 2G signal (though 4G coverage has improved a lot over the last year or so).
All of the 2G network is still operational.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 04:53:42 pm »
I'm still on T-mobile. Which probably explains why they still aren't charging me for data (currently six years and running). I really don't feel bad, I'd expect them to screw me over if they got the chance.

I'm sure there's rules these days about being able to retain numbers etc. I've had the same one since my first mobile phone.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:43:53 pm »
If reception is not certain, most companies will send you a free sim so try a few, work out who has signal where you are.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:26 pm »
I'm sure there's rules these days about being able to retain numbers etc. I've had the same one since my first mobile phone.

Me too, I have had this number since 1997 and would dearly love to hang onto it. EE's Exective Customer Care tells me that it has cancelled my number and I cannot have it back. That is not customer care.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 07:14:26 pm »
The seems both unwarranted and unusual. I'd complain vociferously.
!nataS pihsroW

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 08:06:47 pm »

Me too, I have had this number since 1997 and would dearly love to hang onto it. EE's Exective Customer Care tells me that it has cancelled my number and I cannot have it back. That is not customer care.

How long was the number unused?

Orange/EE had a six month clause though I wouldn't be surprised if they had changed it to 30 days on the quiet.

I am still with EE/Orange and have the same number and Plan as I've had since 2001. They have forgotten to charge me for Orange Out There renewal for around a decade so I get 5 free texts a day.

They have closed down my online account, which is a PITA.

Calls can be pricy but I make very few, though enough to keep the phone 'alive'.

But I am here and you aren't!

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »
EE tells me it has been unused for 6 months but given the amount of spam calls I receive I don't think so and I logged onto HMRC recently and HMRC sends a log-in code by text message.

Like you Helly, I wish to keep my number alive - I cannot count the number of people that will have that number for me and I certainly couldn't contact all of them to announce a different number.

I have replied to EE, asking for a PAC so that I can take my number elsewhere, possibly to O2.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 09:50:29 am »
Just as an FYI. I have an old 2G phone with a giffgaff sim as a backup/emergency phone.   :thumbsup:

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 10:44:44 am »
Thanks, lahoski.

I am going off EE rapidly: today the Executive Customer Team tells me it cancelled my number on 14th January, 180 days after it was last used (which makes that 17th July), which is not true as I called Torslanda on 18th July and Helly on 19th July as well as calls to AirBNB hosts in August and more beyond including getting a login code from HMRC by text message in February 2018. My Slovak SIM did not have international roaming so I had to use my UK number all the time outside of Slovakia last July and August. EE is wrong, intentionally or not.

The ombudsman online doesn't recognise the EE company name, nor its owner, BT Group, so I am unable to continue with the ombudsman. The ombudsman suggests I talk with Citizens' Advice.

I read today that when a PAYG number is cancelled it sits dormant for 6 months before being released back into the market, so I have two months (until 13th July) to discover whether it is possible to get my old number back. I just called it and it is not active - as a One2One number from 1997 (0956 back then, laterly 07956) maybe no one will be allocated it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 11:01:38 am »
I pay £5 per month to GiffGaff, which allows me to do everything I need to do in the UK, but not in Abroad.  For the latter you need to top up your credit balance and remember to switch off data.  And swear at the bloody thing when it decides there are no networks in Billings MT (pop. 100,000).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 11:07:51 am »
Thanks, all comments are proving to be helpful.

I can think on it for a week or so. I am warming to O2 (as is my Slovak SIM) or Giffgaff which, as fuaran says, uses the O2 network, and Giffgaff could help me avoid confusion between two O2 SIMs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 11:22:53 am »
The diary entry for your visit to us was on 26 July. Did you not make any calls or texts after 19 July?

I am a little surprised/puzzled!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 11:46:09 am »
Receiving calls or texts does not count as use. You have to make a chargeable outgoing call or text.
Maybe worth marking it on your calendar, as a reminder to send a text every few months?

Useful summary of PAYG expiry policies here: https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 11:55:15 am »
Indeed but as I have difficulty answering the door, I always ask visitors to text or call on approach...

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 12:59:03 pm »
The diary entry for your visit to us was on 26 July. Did you not make any calls or texts after 19 July?

Aha, I got my weeks muddled up: that means I called Torslanda on 25th and you on 26th (with our ETA, driving down from Sheffield in the rain). I called our AirBNB host in Kent on 31st July as I couldn't find their house, as well as calling our AirBNB host in Holland the following day, 1st August, also with our ETA so I know EE is lying but there seems to be nothing I can do to get my number back.

fuaran, thanks.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 04:52:13 pm »
I have more than once left my O2 PAYG unused for over 6 months (unused as in, phone switched off) - but so far no problems with continuity of service, no loss of credit, I last topped-up about 2 years ago.  Sheila's Giffgaff PAYG (again no monthly top-up required) is noticeably flakier when roaming, than my O2. 
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."