Author Topic: Recommended SIM provider for PAYG?  (Read 1210 times)

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
Re: Recommended SIM provider for PAYG?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 07:47:47 pm »
Frankie, this 6 month thing is a newish regulation as there are not enough mobile numbers to go round. I suspect it has applied to new contracts over the last few years. As with your old O2 contract, my old T-Mobile contract predated the new regulations and the power to cancel contracts, numbers and steal customers' credit was not in the older contracts ... but it is now. The 6 months varies from 60 days to 6 months, depending on the provider.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 08:09:30 pm »
It's been 180 days with Orange since I got my phone in 2001.

It was only 90 days with Virgin and 80 days with Lebara when I've bought SIMs/phones with them.

A niece who had put quite a lot on the Lebara phone we used for international visitors got thrown out, with credit loss very shortly after the 80 days expired.

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:32 am »
Those "bundles" of minutes and texts which expire after 1 month are not PAYG! And they could even work out to be more expensive per minute for low or irregular use.

The real payg (ie credits that don't expire if you make at least one call within 3/6 months) prices of the main operaters are ridiculous, something like 25p per min!

3 (stupid name) is by far the cheapest, but the signal can be unreliable IME  depending on location.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 11:28:28 am »
O2 Classic PAYG is 3p per minute, same as 3. And usually much better coverage.

Giffgaff is 15p per minute, not too expensive for light usage. Plus free calls/texts to other Giffgaff users, so long as you have topped up in the last 3 months.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 12:24:25 pm »
Those "bundles" of minutes and texts which expire after 1 month are not PAYG! And they could even work out to be more expensive per minute for low or irregular use.

The real payg (ie credits that don't expire if you make at least one call within 3/6 months) prices of the main operaters are ridiculous, something like 25p per min!

3 (stupid name) is by far the cheapest, but the signal can be unreliable IME  depending on location.

I think I'm paying 15p/min off-peak and 40p/min peak.

Which is fine unless...

I have made three £10 top-ups in the last 12 months.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 12:27:13 am »
Is giffgaff 02?

virgin did the same to me, but have got an old number back from tmobile (now EE) recently and looking to move it to 3 as they give you 200mb a month free internet.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:01 am »
Giffgaff is a separate company. As it doesn't have its own network it licenses O2's.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:19 am »
Giffgaff are owned by O2/Telefonica, though they like to pretend they are a separate company.

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 05:48:51 pm »
I have an O2 pay as you go package ...

£10 a month gets me 1000 texts, 250 minutes call time, and 500 MB of data (they also have a £15 and a £20 pay as you go option)

I was with Vodaphone, but o2 has a better signal in my village

I left O2 because I got the same service from Tesco for half the tariff

When I asked for the Code, the guy told me that they could have matched the Tesco deal.

Sorry, but I asked for the lowest tariff, and if you are now saying that you can do it for half that price ,,,,,you lied to me when you gave me the quote