Author Topic: Assos Emergency Vest (=hi-vis race cape)  (Read 2389 times)

Assos Emergency Vest (=hi-vis race cape)
« on: May 27, 2018, 02:17:20 pm »
link

After collecting your jaw from the floor when you see the price, please read on!

I wasn't terribly happy that all of my winter kit is now black (damn you for not doing white kit Endura!) and I wanted something to make me more visible but not turn me into a sweaty puddle. I wanted something that I could wear over the top of whatever winter kit I was wearing at the time. There are various companies who make gilets that claim to be hi-vis but none of them had 100% great reviews and most didn't fill me with a breezy feeling that they were well ventilated.

This little number from Assos (which my wife affectionately calls my training bra) only covers the top half of your torso but puts big reflective bands around your neck, shoulders and torso. It's got wind breaker material on the front and shoulders too and it packs down to nothing (ie. you can put other stuff in the same jersey pocket where you've got this guy stashed). The half torso covering means that you have full access to jersey pockets and a race number is fully visible (if that's of interest to you). It's stretchy too so I deliberately got one that's quite tight; if I wear a waterproof jacket, this goes over the top and keeps the jacket from flapping in the breeze.

I wear this jacket at the start of every ride  - not just in the winter. I also always take it with me. It's a bizarre product, but it fills the little gap they're aiming at perfectly. Also, if you're on the fence, it doesn't come in plain white; it comes in "panther white".

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Re: Assos Emergency Vest (=hi-vis race cape)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:33:22 pm »
I'm glad I clicked on the link, if only to read the phrase:
ultralight protection for your sensible breast region
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Porkins

• Formerly Nick H. And a long time ago etc, Eurostar

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 06:24:35 pm »
No more "Panther White"? I withdraw my recommendation immediately then.

I'm glad I clicked on the link, if only to read the phrase:
ultralight protection for your sensible breast region

Assos marketing has always been enjoyable in a very European way.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:54:45 am »
I've also discovered that if you wear this over the goretex shakedry jacket underneath, you can unzip the jacket and fold most of the torso protection up into the back of this gilet. You end up with a hunchback, but it keeps you from riding with a loose and flapping jacket. When it starts raining again, pull the jacket back down nice and easily.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:57:10 pm »

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:12:41 pm »
If you're less fussed about style and aerodynamics and you're just commuting screwfix can do you a fully fluoro hi vis vest for a fiver or less. I'll be digging mine out for winter commuting and Audax soon.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.