Author Topic: Goretex One coat  (Read 1610 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Goretex One coat
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:43:39 am »
Just got a new Gore Tex One "shakedry" coat.  It is super light weight ( about 100g) and genuinely water proof
Very breatheable too

Ridiculously expensive, I found it at the "bargain" price of £108

Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Re: Goretex One coat
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »
Now that you have tried it, would you pay £200 for it?

Asking because I am looking to get one!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:52:41 pm »
 Saw one on sale on the interweb for £143 this week....
I have one of these - it is VERY light, VERY waterproof and as breathable as you get...
Fit is "athletic"; I got the biggest available and it just fits...
I like it - it is my go to waterproof.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 03:28:26 pm »

£200?  No
I got it here, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//gore-bike-wear-one-gtx-active-bike-jacket/rp-prod157280
list £121 plus I had a discount voucher from British Cycling
I'm sure that the small and XL will be available somewhere at less than 100 quid at some point for the limited few

It does seem like a brilliant coat and it is worth what I paid to me.  I already have 2 older Goretex Oxygen IV that are a similar purpose and shape.  This coat is marginally better than them - it is more breathable and more waterproof and a few grammes lighter
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:11:31 am »
Best bit of kit Mrs Oakhambike has every bought me - is very waterproof very breathable and very light. Is what I believe is called ‘race fit’ though - so if a few pie and chips excess or wear lot of clothing underneath need to size up.
Old fat and slow

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:55 am »

It's worth it as far as function goes.

The problem is that because it's so light, it's also fairly delicate, so a crash or contact with thorns stands a good chance of wrecking it.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:27:49 pm »
I take mine on all rides as a jacket to chuck on if it starts to get a little chilly. I used to use a gilet for the same function. My only objection is that it only comes in black so makes you rather invisible. I got around this by getting an Assos emergency Gilet My Review Link

The problem is that because it's so light, it's also fairly delicate, so a crash or contact with thorns stands a good chance of wrecking it.

I lent mine to my wife on her 2nd road bike ride. She had a clippless moment and fell off. I had to delicately check that the jacket was ok whilst attempting to look like I was only interested in her wellfare. Fortunately, both came off rather well with no long term damage to either.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:34:23 pm »
I take mine on all rides as a jacket to chuck on if it starts to get a little chilly. I used to use a gilet for the same function. My only objection is that it only comes in black so makes you rather invisible. I got around this by getting an Assos emergency Gilet My Review Link

You could have saved yourself a few quid and just bought a large bra

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:43:10 pm »
You could have saved yourself a few quid and just bought a large bra

I probably could have saved some money and hired someone to follow me around with one of those 'tall building aircraft warning flasher' devices.

Or just a flasher which presumably would achieve the same goal.

fd3

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 09:30:40 pm »
Bought one of these (the 1985 version) off Wiggle - I was chuffed at getting it for just a bit more than vorsprung spent.  After years of reading other people talking about wearing light jackets in winter with "just a base layer" I now understand.
My issue with the 1985 is the opposite of what has been mentioned upthread: being about 6'2" but under 70kg I had to get the XL to be long enough (and it could be another cm or two longer in the torso) which is a bit flappy (though means I can wear a thicker jersey under it).

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 10:14:05 pm »
How breathable is it, for someone who sweats like Diane Abbott in a maths exam?
Never tell me the odds.

fd3

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 10:55:27 pm »
More so than my montane windbreaker, which has more holes in and is not water proof.  I did run hot on the way home tonight, but no rain and was wearing waterproof trousers - which didn't help.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:50:32 pm »
The size guide on Wiggle seems odd, a "Medium" is listed as 33-35" chest, 27-28" waist - WTF!  Isn't "Medium" usually about 38-40"chest, 31-33" waist? Unless "race cut", I'm usually a Medium in most cycle clothing (5'8", 39" chest, 33" waist about 74kg). is the Wiggle chart just wrong?: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-c5-gore-texr-shakedryr-1985-jacket/

The sizing on the storm blue version looks completely different (and a bit more sane), though I guess I'd need a large, which would mean the arms would probably be too long: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-c5-gore-tex-shakedry-1985-jacket/

Odd, as an older medium-sized Gore Bike Wear rain jacket I have (but which after about 4+ years heavy use now has some rips and the membrane doesn't seem to be as waterproof anymore, even with re-proofing) fits me perfectly (including sleeve length and body length), even with a soft shell jacket underneath. I wouldn't call it "race cut", but it's not baggy. Not sure what the model name was, though the fabric has a soft feel (and taped seams)
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 02:39:59 pm »
Sizing is a bit of a lottery. Too often I find that if I buy to fit my somewhat pathetic chest, the arms or legs are too short.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 05:56:33 pm »
Would echo the comments above. The Shakedry really is a waterproof, light weight jacket that fits in the back pocket, not too sweaty, bought on offer for “only” £170. Value for money, of course not, but, it does do exactly what it is says on the tin. 5 Stars, recommended, yes, I would buy another one. Unlike the worn once SEALSKINZ™ High Performance (waterproof) Gloves. Free on request.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 08:31:57 pm »
Just sayin'! Probably wise not to wear a backpack on top of this... The delicate waterproof membrane is on the outside of the coat - which is the innovation, usually it's sandwiched between an outer fabric and some sort of lining. Hence the lack of weight and hence the better breathability.
But I reckon Gore would advise nothing should abrade the surface if you want this to last.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 06:17:13 pm »
Sizing is a bit of a lottery. Too often I find that if I buy to fit my somewhat pathetic chest, the arms or legs are too short.

Maybe I should order a Medium AND a Large Gore Shakedry, hope that one of them fits, then return the other one...

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:06:14 am »
Another issue I have found with the earlier ones that were all black and not available with yellow bits is that it is not very long at the back and tends to ride up over your jersey pockets, the later one is a little longer.
It’s is excellent other than that and they seem to have brought out a insulated one recently.

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 10:26:29 am »
After this morning's drenching, this has really shown my current old waterproof is really not up to the job, I definitely think I will be investigating the C5 version of the Gore Shakedry, probably the navy one. Just hope one of the sizes actually works for me

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 12:27:06 pm »
Just sayin'! Probably wise not to wear a backpack on top of this... The delicate waterproof membrane is on the outside of the coat - which is the innovation, usually it's sandwiched between an outer fabric and some sort of lining. Hence the lack of weight and hence the better breathability.
But I reckon Gore would advise nothing should abrade the surface if you want this to last.

One Gore's own product pages for the jacket they explicitly state "no backpack usage" (where they show a list of "attributes"): https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c5-gore-tex-shakedry-1985-jacket-100093.html