Author Topic: Fuelling the Trangia  (Read 1051 times)

Fuelling the Trangia
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:39 pm »
I've been using bio ethanol supplied in 5l tubs from Go Outdoors in the Trangia for the last couple of years as it seems to burn cleaner than regular meths.  However on a recent visit to re-supply I was told that it's no longer stocked and instead pointed towards the gel fuel stuff.

Does anyone know of other suppliers of bio ethanol?  If not I'll use regular meths but I've come to quite like the clean burning stuff.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Fuelling the Trangia
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »
I've been using bio ethanol supplied in 5l tubs from Go Outdoors in the Trangia for the last couple of years as it seems to burn cleaner than regular meths.  However on a recent visit to re-supply I was told that it's no longer stocked and instead pointed towards the gel fuel stuff.

Does anyone know of other suppliers of bio ethanol?  If not I'll use regular meths but I've come to quite like the clean burning stuff.

I bought 25l of the stuff on ebay, 5 friends split it and had a 5l tub each.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:51:25 pm »
It never occurred to me to check ebay/amazon and such having assumed that you couldn't easily send liquid fuels by mail order.  I've also discovered that its can be found in B&Q for £6 for 2L.  I'll check the local hardware store before going to B&Q mind.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
Surely gel fuel wouldn't work in a Trangia. It'll burn, but I wouldn't have thought the jets around the edge would appear.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:48:58 pm »
Surely gel fuel wouldn't work in a Trangia. It'll burn, but I wouldn't have thought the jets around the edge would appear.

As far I can remember, you replace the burner of the trangia with the tin of gel fuel

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »
Look what just turned up in my Amazon recommendations  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B5T7CTM/ref=pe_4652421_264229591_em_1p_3_ti

That'd keep me in camping trips for a while, though I don't think I've got the cupboard space.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark