Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 348791 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1725 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:16:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Davef

« Reply #1726 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:47:22 pm »

South west corner is where I need to get going next. Maybe I need to go and camp there once we are out of lockdown.

« Reply #1727 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:13:29 am »

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1728 on: 26 March, 2021, 05:14:07 pm »
looks like lots of potential there Dave.F

Getting back into it with a near 200km ride to grab one solo tile. It's getting harder to motivate me to carry on riding from home, 77x77 might be the limit. Itching to get back out on longer adventures like many others I guess.

Davef

« Reply #1729 on: 26 March, 2021, 06:58:46 pm »
looks like lots of potential there Dave.F

Getting back into it with a near 200km ride to grab one solo tile. It's getting harder to motivate me to carry on riding from home, 77x77 might be the limit. Itching to get back out on longer adventures like many others I guess.

I have chosen my basecamp wisely. Currently 52x52 and I am aiming for 60+ by year end and can’t really see any major geographic obstacles.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1730 on: 27 March, 2021, 09:22:52 am »
Caller on RadMac just now was talking about Turf. Have a feeling it might appeal to some here...

https://turfgame.com

I’ve signed up and can see I have two local rivals I’m going to have to get out there and topple... this could be fun!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1731 on: 28 March, 2021, 07:34:57 am »

I have played turf for two seasons, it is funny but what it makes boring is to wait 30 or 40 seconds at each new territory.

« Reply #1732 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:16:05 pm »
I've been chipping away at the north-western and southern edges of my square, I'm now on two overlapping 44x44s. Curse you, North Sea!

citoyen

« Reply #1733 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:33:10 pm »

I have played turf for two seasons, it is funny but what it makes boring is to wait 30 or 40 seconds at each new territory.

I had a little play on it while out walking the dog yesterday. I didn't mind having to wait in each zone to claim it, but nor did I feel particularly excited about having claimed new zones either.  Ho hum!

I can see that it might be more fun if you're in an area with lots of other participants and much denser zone coverage.

« Reply #1734 on: 31 March, 2021, 09:38:18 am »

I had a little play on it while out walking the dog yesterday. I didn't mind having to wait in each zone to claim it, but nor did I feel particularly excited about having claimed new zones either.  Ho hum!

I can see that it might be more fun if you're in an area with lots of other participants and much denser zone coverage.
Cheers for mentioning this, I'd not heard of it before.
I also had a little play with Turf out on the dog walk the other day and took a zone.  Felt a bit meh about it.  Then I thought I'd give it a fair shot yesterday and while out on a ride took 17 zones, now I feel like I'm being drawn in.  I think I might have upset someone by taking lots of their zones, as this morning, I lost 8 of them (watched 3 of them being taken in real time on the app). Now I've got the urge to go out and get them back.   I can see how this can get addictive. 
Here in Derbyshire the zones are quite spread out, there's 8 in my town, but I've got to travel to neighbouring towns/villages for the others - it was a 70km ride to get the 17 zones yesterday.
The appeal of veloviewer squares to me is visiting new places, but Turf seems more about repeatedly visiting the same places over and over.
Eddington: 114 Miles

citoyen

« Reply #1735 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:17:05 pm »
The appeal of veloviewer squares to me is visiting new places, but Turf seems more about repeatedly visiting the same places over and over.

It seems to be more a 'tower defence' game than anything else. Like you say, the zones are too spread out to make it really appeal as a tile-bagging game.

« Reply #1736 on: 31 March, 2021, 01:44:40 pm »
The perils of tile hunting ;)

I just discovered this Forum after Veloviewer retweeted the Evergreen post a couple of days back.
And I also just did my first tiling ride yesterday since 2019 due to some bug going around. Probably my first non local ride since 2019 as well. :o
So went and filled in a couple of holes in Scunthorpe that I stupidly managed to miss when tiling there an eon ago. And did a few others whilst I was there. Felt very hilly for a flat place with the strong wind every time I headed south or west.  ;D My lack of riding anywhere more than 20km for such a long time and out of practice at eating on a ride didn't help. But so good to be back tiling again. 
Plotting a route now is also soooo much easier since Strava finally took its lame route planner out of beta and VV got even better integration. So hopefully no more missed tiles like these.

Well I was going to post a screengrab of ride but after jumping through lots of hoops that I've not used for more than a decade. Hello Flickr, very long time no see. No image wants to appear.   :'(
Do you need to post for a while before being able to post images, because some forums do that.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1737 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »

Do you need to post for a while before being able to post images, because some forums do that.

Not that I'm aware of.

I find the easiest way of adding piccies to this forum is to use the Tapatalk app on my phone.  They then do the picture hosting.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1738 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:42:03 pm »
The perils of tile hunting ;)

I just discovered this Forum after Veloviewer retweeted the Evergreen post a couple of days back.
And I also just did my first tiling ride yesterday since 2019 due to some bug going around. Probably my first non local ride since 2019 as well. :o
So went and filled in a couple of holes in Scunthorpe that I stupidly managed to miss when tiling there an eon ago. And did a few others whilst I was there. Felt very hilly for a flat place with the strong wind every time I headed south or west.  ;D My lack of riding anywhere more than 20km for such a long time and out of practice at eating on a ride didn't help. But so good to be back tiling again. 
Plotting a route now is also soooo much easier since Strava finally took its lame route planner out of beta and VV got even better integration. So hopefully no more missed tiles like these.

Well I was going to post a screengrab of ride but after jumping through lots of hoops that I've not used for more than a decade. Hello Flickr, very long time no see. No image wants to appear.   :'(
Firstly, welcome! You could try imgbb, there isn't any built in attachment support here.

This mini cluster is annoying me, so I might even join that up this evening.

citoyen

« Reply #1739 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »

Ahoy!

Don't think so. You need to use the BBcode tags rather than the basic URL, if that helps.

« Reply #1740 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:47:52 pm »
Ta for suggestions.
I dusted off an ancient Flickr account to use as there's no direct upload here. But nothing appeared when using the usual *img* link. Hence why I wondered if there was a minimum number of posts before allowing images to be added.
Tapatalk is no use to me as my screengrabs/photos are on desktop and Flickr would be least painful option because I can easily upload to Flickr directly from Lightroom.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1741 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:49:11 pm »
Don't think so. You need to use the BBcode tags rather than the basic URL, if that helps.
I used the url nested between the *img* tags if that's what you mean.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1742 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:52:56 pm »
Wondering if it's a Flicker issue.
Just tested with an image url from elsewhere and it works.

The Tile Collector

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1743 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:55:44 pm »
On the Flickr photo page by the photo there's an arrow-pointing-right icon, Share Photo. Click this, choose BBCode from the pop up. Choose the image size from the drop down menu (go for a medium one if possible). Click on the code in the box, it will be copied to your clipboard. Paste that into your forum post. I do this from a laptop - I don't know if it works the same on a phone or tablet.

« Reply #1744 on: 31 March, 2021, 03:03:12 pm »
Yes that BB code copy worked. Cheers for that suggestion.

Anyway so here are a couple of holes missed due to Ye Olde Strava Route Planner being a bit rubbish when plotting routes in 2019
Added some other tiles to fill out that edge. No point going any further East for now because theres 4 tiles in Humber only accessible by kayak just above there.

Scunthorpe missing tiles

The Tile Collector

citoyen

« Reply #1745 on: 31 March, 2021, 03:05:14 pm »
I used the url nested between the *img* tags if that's what you mean.

I meant what Pingu said, but he did a much better job of explaining it than me! Anyway, you seem to be on top of it now so all good.

I do this from a laptop - I don't know if it works the same on a phone or tablet.

You can't do this from the Flickr iPhone app, I know that much. It's infuriating!

« Reply #1746 on: 31 March, 2021, 03:39:43 pm »
You can't do this from the Flickr iPhone app, I know that much. It's infuriating!
Well you have to dig around to be able to do it on desktop too. Lots of times when you click share, it's not an option.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1747 on: 31 March, 2021, 03:52:32 pm »
This is NE edge of my Square. Marked tiles are only doable by kayak or pedalo.

Kayaking the Humber
The Tile Collector

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1748 on: 31 March, 2021, 04:12:24 pm »

Hello!
This is the home of erudite and smutty cycling... or at least that is what is says on the tin. Loads of really helpful info and people with experience on most aspects of cycling life. Glad you found us.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1749 on: 01 April, 2021, 12:11:24 am »
This is NE edge of my Square. Marked tiles are only doable by kayak or pedalo.

Kayaking the Humber

https://eu.orukayak.com/pages/compare

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/