Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 370578 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2900 on: 25 May, 2024, 02:07:57 pm »
This looks like a good way to reach the right hand square without disturbing any obvious privacy
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4583539,-0.1563757,3a,15y,272.71h,85.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shtSB8DIAfHpBr23HE-XYcA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
 although it's not an official right of way.  It could even be rideable.

« Reply #2901 on: 25 May, 2024, 11:29:30 pm »
Thanks Peter, but sadly I have already attempted that one! There was rather a lot of building going on if recall correctly... No way I could squeeze by without being noticed. There's nowhere to hide in the fens!

Bah, and I picked up a tick for my troubles! I had been careful to keep covered up, but one must have hitched a ride on my clothes then attached later. Got it all out fine, and will keep an eye on myself, but bah.  >:(

« Reply #2903 on: 26 May, 2024, 02:46:44 pm »
Thanks Jon, that does help. Interesting to see where other people have given up and turned round too....  ;D

« Reply #2904 on: 29 May, 2024, 02:11:08 pm »
After not doing much tile hunting for ages, over the weekend I picked up two, and got my cluster up to 636. I really need to post an image again!

« Reply #2905 on: 29 May, 2024, 04:31:03 pm »
First 100km ride since before lockdown on Monday netted 80 new tiles between Arbroath and Montrose. Was intending to join up with cluster in Carnoustie, but didn't realise that Bridge of Dun was closed and had to detour via Brechin instead. Ran out of time and especially legs to join it up.  Next time...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2906 on: 01 June, 2024, 05:54:46 pm »
Just been out to bag some of my missing Path of Condie squares,
Arngask route into Glenfarg which seemed to overlap with some event at the house that meant it was busy.
Glendeuglie road out of Glenfarg for the first time, down to Ardargie, where I note I have not taken the road across to Invermay yet.
Got chatting with a local rider most of the climb from Ardargie up to Mains of Condie where he went right and I went left, carrying straight on from Pathstruie rather than go to Path of Condie itself I managed to keep it going up the ramp and in fact all the way up to Newhill.
As I battered past Glendy Mill I realized I hadn't gone over Hilton of Duncrievie so diverted from my planned route direct into Glen Farg and then again in Duncrievie to react the old A90 at Calford Bridge, which oddly enough is the junction that gave me the idea to bag this lot, this weekend when I went that way on Thursday night.
Bagging done it was back to Miggly via Gateside (I did briefly toy with the thought of taking the Leden Urquhart road back there but I missed it...) and the Dryside, with a deviation from plan (straight back via Falkland) to visit the Dunshelt shop for some sweets and a can of juice.

As things are, to grow my square I need to bag the Hill of Errol tile, a lack of sea kayak and "Carthagena bank" being right next to "Sure as Death Bank" get in the way of pushing it further north than that, Largo bay blocks Southward and Eastward progress and Loch Leven is a blocker from it going west.

« Reply #2907 on: 03 June, 2024, 08:53:15 am »
The Triple Reservoir Challenge nicely skirted the northern edge of my cluster, so has increased it by 9 north of Bedford (now up to 2131), and by shadowing previous routes has generated 4 minor clusters further north. Unfortunately I was in company, so didn't feel I could force 6 minor excursions onto the others.

« Reply #2908 on: 05 June, 2024, 07:26:23 am »
Quote from: FifeingEejit link=topic=108374.msg2898391#msg2898391 date=1717260886g

As things are, to grow my square I need to bag the Hill of Errol tile, a lack of sea kayak and "Carthagena bank" being right next to "Sure as Death Bank" get in the way of pushing it further north than that, Largo bay blocks Southward and Eastward progress and Loch Leven is a blocker from it going west.
Loch Leven is the one to get. A paddle board will get you out there on a calm day if you can borrow one )(and a buoyancy aid) For my square, there is a bit of sea SE of Kinghorn that I want to paddle to make my SE corner and then I should be able to go up to Crieff for my NW. Should be about 30 when done.

« Reply #2909 on: 05 June, 2024, 08:52:09 am »
I'm pinning my hopes on a dry Autumn to expand my square again. Going by how bad my local PROWs are (overgrown bogs) at the moment I have very little desire/confidence in planning away rides on unknown trails.  :'(

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2910 on: 11 June, 2024, 04:39:38 pm »
Finally discovered the stats page in veloviewer!

Before this weekends wee tour to go with Asparagus and Strawberries I had
17473 tiles
max tile 15x15
max cluster 774

Afterwards, my tile count is up to 17813, 340 tiles not bad.
Though did some of it by spending the sunday afternoon and monday morning exploring by train.