Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 46175 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #775 on: November 18, 2019, 07:11:43 pm »
Did a DIY 200k on Saturday that, with a bit of meandering and a couple of spurs, grabbed a few tiles including the pesky one near Atherstone that has been bugging me since April.  Max square now 38*38.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #776 on: November 21, 2019, 09:59:45 pm »
Max cluster now at 843. 6885 tiles bagged. Max square remains at 17.

vv_20191121 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #777 on: November 27, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »
Created a Strava Club for those based in Scotland- maybe see if we can arrange summer water based (Kayak or Canoe) trips to collect problem tiles e.g. Forth and Tay estuaries, Loch Leven, Montrose Basin etc.

Anyone interested welcome to join.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #778 on: November 27, 2019, 02:33:01 pm »
Targeted 3 tiles today increasing total to 3206 and upping the cluster score from 119 to 129

vvexplorertiles271119 by ian, on Flickr

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #779 on: November 30, 2019, 04:51:36 pm »

Went out on a 50k ride today, aiming to tick off a load of tiles and increase my max square.

I bagged all the intended tiles, and in doing, increased my tiles square from the 6 over lapping 17x17 to... 9 over lapping 17x17...

Ah well, cluster improved a bit.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #780 on: December 01, 2019, 09:57:15 am »
Nearest unbagged tiles to me have a manhattan distance of 6 (going both North or East).

However the nearest tile I need to improve my square (currently 4 overlapping 18x18) is 40km as the crow flies. I don't have the time to ride there and back (and it's not a particularly nice route) so I now plan to get there/back using trains and do a 50-80km ride out there.

Once the weather improves in spring and I get my fitness back I can target the tiles N/NE/E of me which only require a short bimble across already bagged tiles so no reliance on trains.

Looking at my map of unbagged tiles annoys me as I can mentally see all of the tiles I know I've bagged before but don't have a GPS log for. There's a couple of Audaxes that predate my GPS use that would have bagged a whole load in North London and out towards Oxfordshire (like the old Muswell Hills 200), or the old Elstead 200 out to Friar Muck's in Amesbury.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #781 on: December 01, 2019, 09:27:00 pm »
Today's Braco Way 100km audax added 14 new squares, including a 2km detour in Causewayhead  (some strange looks from fellow riders) to bag me a new tile which expanded my cluster by 39 tiles to 863 and it now extends out beyond Callander.

Capture 20191201 by , on Flickr

« Reply #782 on: December 01, 2019, 10:34:09 pm »
Today I managed to push my cluster past the 5000 mark. And a lot of tiles easy to connect to it so I can expand it a lot this winter. Especially since I changed my Dutch railroads pass from 'daluren' to a weekend free pass, I pay a lump sum and can travel freely from friday evening to sunday evening. That makes tilehunting quite affordable.

« Reply #783 on: December 02, 2019, 11:50:58 am »
182km of sliding around on ice, mud and icy mud yesterday has increased my max square from 22x22 to 25x25. I'll hopefully get a chance to improve it a bit more before the end of the year but I really hope the weather improves a bit - all of the off-road sections around York are totally sodden at the moment!

« Reply #784 on: December 09, 2019, 06:17:16 pm »
The forecast for Saturday was pretty reasonable for December so I plotted a tile-gathering DIY 200k including the northern edge of Coventry and the Lutterworth area.  28 tiles nabbed and my max cluster bumped up from 2163 to 2201.  More importantly it cleared a two tile wide border around my max square in that area so I shouldn't 'have to' go there for a while.

100k today out to the northwest of Derby into a fairly strong headwind that refused to blow me home.  Another 10 tiles and an increase in my max square to 39  :)  There were another couple of tiles up towards Ashbourne that were tempting but I had to get back for a dentist's appointment  ;D