Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 9680 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:51 pm »

I think a couple of those tiles he could get by just clicking on the rides, I think he's gone through them, but veloviewer hasn't registered it properly.
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:07 pm »
Wow.

On my little efforts, I discovered that it isn't enough to just set Veloviewer to includ hikes, you have to update your data. In fact you have to do an update to get new activities through from Strava to VV. However the result is that I got two Pentland squares that I have not run through but have hiked through. I also found that there's an OS map overlay. That's a real time sink really useful and interesting.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2018, 04:30:08 pm »
I also found that there's an OS map overlay. That's a real time sink really useful and interesting.

It is indeed!

I was given as a Wild Running book as a gift a while ago and it has links to GPX downloads of the routes. I've been looking through them and there are a couple that will be useful for ticking off some missing squares. Good excuse to actually put the book to use rather than have it gathering dust on my bookshelf.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2018, 11:12:12 am »
96x96 is awesome....
I did an 85km ride yesterday and picked up 14 squares to make my total max 10x10 (from 5x5 previously)  :P
Being all in the Peak District, that involved 1750m, off road tracks and paths and a few 15-20% inclines.....
Stats now:
1887 tiles, average of 26.223 km per tile
Max square 10x10
Max Cluster: 191

« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2018, 03:20:39 pm »
55km bimble today to add 34 to my max cluster (up to 269 now). I hadn't prepared properly and my routes were all on a different computer, in my rush this morning I found one on my laptop which seemed to cover the right area but it managed to miss 2 tiles (mean 6 missed from the cluster) but I can rejig a different route to cover them so no huge loss.

Max square still 11x11 but if I fill in 9 more tiles then it'll be 12 overlapping 11x11 squares (or a single 22x11 rectangle). I'll then work on the 22x11 rectangle below this one (where I need probably 150/242 tiles) and I'll hopefully try and design it to jump from 11x11 to 22x22 in the final ride filling in one key square near the middle.

I like having ~6h to myself on a Monday to do this although I'm not fit enough to be riding for all 6 hours yet. New roads are much easier to ride (motivationally) than riding round Richmond Park for 3+ hours (no matter how lovely that is).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »
I went out on a tile grabbing ride on Saturday and nabbed 21 tiles just outside the south west corner of my max square upping my new max square by 2 to 34x34.

The previously unchartered squares contained some great little country lanes,  but a few farm track dead ends and a bridleway were needed to get a handful of the squares.  I got quite muddy, but was good fun.   

It's getting harder and harder to get new squares - that was a 170km ride. though I live towards the east of my cluster, it's the west that's more rural and has better riding.

Eddington: 106 Miles,  148km

« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2018, 04:52:19 pm »
It's getting harder and harder to get new squares - that was a 170km ride. though I live towards the east of my cluster, it's the west that's more rural and has better riding.

I just use the trains to bypass the suburban cycling that isn't hugely inspiring (although I'll probably use them less as I get my cycling fitness back).

Here was todays: https://www.strava.com/activities/1906332667 (Train from Putney to Wraysbury, ride, Train from Eton & Windsor Riverside to Putney).

It helps living somewhere where trains are plentiful and mostly reliable.

« Reply #257 on: October 15, 2018, 06:51:51 pm »
Trains are also my choice to expand my riding territory (both before and after tyle hunting). I quite often set out from home and take a train back (or start with a train out into the wind).

« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2018, 08:13:34 am »

I just use the trains to bypass the suburban cycling that isn't hugely inspiring (although I'll probably use them less as I get my cycling fitness back).

For me, it's that the squares I need to the east are the urban ones. 
I've got Nottingham and the North Nottinghamshire ex mining towns to the east of me and the rolling Derbyshire countryside and the Peak District to the west.   Which is why my Square is skewed to the west of me. 

« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2018, 08:32:27 am »
Now that we're getting towards the end of the year, I'm starting to look at the gaps in my 2018 squares. 
My max square for this year is currently 9x9, but a few stratigic local rides should increase that.

« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:06 pm »
Today's long boring conference call I will be mostly writing something to take the VV 'missing tiles' KML file and converting it to GPX[1] whilst also removing all of the 'sub boxes' it generates, i.e. for each clump of missing tiles I just want one 'track' showing the outline of this area, not every tile contained within it. That should make the subsequent gpx file a lot smaller and less of a burden for the various sites I use to plot routes.

1. I know there are sites to do this but it's the second part that is the most important, and it's easy to do this step at the same time.