Author Topic: Evans displacing an LBS  (Read 1939 times)

Evans displacing an LBS
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:33:00 am »
Here in the Angles of the East, we have an LBS which when taken over recently decided to move up market. This was quite an astute move in some respects as it is virtually next door to Adastral Park, a large tech park, previously all BT but now open to others, that employs a lot of well paid technologists (and me) may of whom cycle. We must be an attractive target because Evans are opening a new store on the retail park an have yesterday announced that they are opening next Friday. Pedal Power have, I believe, in response announced that they are moving from the retail park to another location about halve in towards the town centre, where I suspect they will atrophy and die.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: Evans displacing an LBS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »
A few years back a big bike supermarket opened about a km from my erstwhile LBS, who subsequently found they were getting more customers than before.  The big store was rigid and impersonal, they weren't.  Store's gone now, LBS is still there.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »
Direct competition in retail markets isn't necessarily bad news for either competitor. It might raise both their quality of service or help them differentiate their own niches. It might help to grow the overall market in a vicinity, especially an affluent one. On the other hand, it does tend to make weaknesses more obvious as well.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:34:42 pm »
Indeed. If you were going somewhere to buy shoes and had a choice between a place with one shoe shop or one with several, where would you go?
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 01:30:46 pm »
If they haven't moved yet they might want to wait a bit...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.