Author Topic: Quechua Grey Helium trekking pillow  (Read 1416 times)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Quechua Grey Helium trekking pillow
« on: June 16, 2018, 11:23:12 pm »

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-pillow-grey-id_8382813.html

Spotted these when wandering around Decathlon with Butterfly and clarion last month, and since my Ajungilak will no longer hold air, I reckoned it was worth a punt.

It's got some foam to it, so it's a bit more substantial feeling than a pure inflatable, and you do pay for that with weight (170g) and pack size.  (It comes with a little stuffsack[1].)  But it's impressively comfortable.

The valve is functionally similar to the inflation valves on Schnozzel-equipped Exped mats: it's one-way until you poke it in the middle.  This is ideal for in-situ fine pressure adjustment, and deflation is trivial, but some lip gymnastics are required to get a good seal when inflating.  This isn't really a problem, though, as you don't need much forward pressure to open the valve, and a few leaky lungfuls will suffice.

So far I've used it for about 5 nights, and it's my new favourite.  Barakta had a fondle and an experimental lie on it when I brought it home, and instructed me to get her one too.

Not bad for 12 quid.   :thumbsup:

[1] Complete with comedy pictogram.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Re: Quechua Grey Helium trekking pillow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:01 pm »
I found mine really comfortable too. It is thick enough to do the job without causing back ache.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Re: Quechua Grey Helium trekking pillow
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:28:13 pm »
I bought one a while ago. Yes it's excellent - I see no need to pay more for some of the supposedly cleverer more hi-tech things. And this has the advantage of having a cover which can be taken off and washed. So it's far better than those flocked plastic things. A definite advance on bivvying with your head resting on a dry bag containing your cycling boots :)

Decathlon does some very well designed and made stuff.