Author Topic: Tarp Tents - an American brand you should check out  (Read 859 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
Tarp Tents - an American brand you should check out
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:24:45 pm »
www.tarptent.com

I saw one of these in a campsite on Oregon the other day and had to ask the owner about it as it looked really good.  His was a Moment DW, which looked like this:

It's basically the same as my Terra Nova Laser, with a similar weight at a hair over 1kg.  It does have some advantages though:

It comes with options for a mesh inner, a solid insert or both.
The inner can be pitched alone.
It comes with an optional second pole for foul weather.
They look like they've done a better job of the end poles than the Laser, where the ends are a bit finicky.
It's cheaper - at least if I buy it here in dollars.  I don't know how much it is for you lot in pounds.

Tarptent also make several other models.  I have no affiliation etc.

My Laser is getting pretty old and I've got several repairs to make on our on my next rest day.   I'd been wondering about whether to replace it or to soldier on in the hope that once I get to Asia accommodation will be sufficiently cheap that I hardly need to use it.  I'm now strongly considering replacing it with a Moment before I leave Alaska.

Re: Tarp Tents - an American brand you should check out
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:51 pm »
They are pretty well regarded.  I've considered their Scarp model a couple of times.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:50:02 pm »
Seem to be quite expensive, from any UK/Euro shops.

And not seam sealed. Can you be bothered doing that yourself?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:34:57 pm »
It's also listed with 4cm more interior height than the Laser, and the latter is just about too low for me to sit up straight.  It could definitely be worth it - what a shame I didn't have a sit in matey's tent while I was there.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:38:30 am »
They are pretty well regarded.  I've considered their Scarp model a couple of times.
I've also considered the Scarp 1, and may get one if my Akto ever gets trashed.

They are €450-€550 from Germany, depending on whether it's the Moment in the photo or the Scarp 1 and which shop, which is pretty much normal price for a good tent (unlike Hilleberg, who are expensive).

As for DIY seam sealing, that's normal for tents with sil-nylon outers.
Sil-nylon doesn't generally take well to taping, though a couple of manufacturers do now tape, and if sealant were to be used, the manufacturer would have to do the same as you, which would put up the price considerably (time taken for someone to put the tent up, crawl around sealing the seams, and repack the tent, plus the extra factory space for a considerable number of tents in a pitched seam drying state).

If the seams are well-made, sealing isn't usually necessary anyway.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:42 pm »
TT offer a sealing service for $35 though they say you might have to wait until they get a good day to do it before they ship.

Their American prices are $300 / $350 for the Moment / Scarp, plus $50 if you want the extra cross pole, plus $130 if you want both the mesh and solid inners.