Author Topic: green oil chain lube  (Read 430 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
green oil chain lube
« on: August 10, 2018, 07:21:28 am »
Took a bottle of this on tour with me and applied twice following damp days.

Very impressed, zero transmission noise and very easy to apply and carry while touring.  I'll probably switch to this entirely once I've used up my stock of spray lube.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: green oil chain lube
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »

How far do you get between applications?

I'm using chain-l, which claims 1600km between applications. Which assumes no rain, best I got was about 700km between applications (due to rain).

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:41:49 pm »
Unless they have changed the recipe, I wouldn't touch it. It attached dirt like no tomorrow and was an utterly pain in the back side to clean of. (tried it back in 2008)

DaT

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 06:11:40 pm »
Unless they have changed the recipe, I wouldn't touch it. It attached dirt like no tomorrow and was an utterly pain in the back side to clean of. (tried it back in 2008)
I agree, It's to "webby". I normally buy green products but figured the filth on my chain will wear it out quicker leading to me replacing chains more often. That's how I justify not using it anyway.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 11:27:44 am »
I'm using chain-l, which claims 1600km between applications. Which assumes no rain, best I got was about 700km between applications (due to rain).

Was that applied to a new chain to start with? I recall the Road.cc tester said they got about 900 miles, including wet weather, before they needed to reapply. I suppose 700km isn't too bad - it's only 4 or 5 applications over the life of a chain. How have you found Chain-L in general - does it pick up much muck? As someone who can't be arsed cleaning chains off the bike and prefers to just wipe, lube, and replace early (cheap 9-speed chains help here), I've been meaning to try it out for a while.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 11:33:36 am »
Likewise - I tried it and really didn't like it, tho that was a fair few years back.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:01:57 pm »
Was that applied to a new chain to start with? I recall the Road.cc tester said they got about 900 miles, including wet weather, before they needed to reapply. I suppose 700km isn't too bad - it's only 4 or 5 applications over the life of a chain. How have you found Chain-L in general - does it pick up much muck? As someone who can't be arsed cleaning chains off the bike and prefers to just wipe, lube, and replace early (cheap 9-speed chains help here), I've been meaning to try it out for a while.

I had been just going for a simple wipe, and relube approach, replacing chains at 0.75%. But after Paris Roubaix, I had to actually take the cassette and chain off the bike and give it a deep clean, largely as the cassette actually had solid crap stuck between the sprockets. But given the conditions I had subjected it to, hardly surprising. I don't think chain-l picks up much dirt, but I also don't really have much to compare it to. I get weeks between applications, which is good enough for me.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 10:39:04 pm »
Me too - tried some time back, liked the refillable pump action aerosol, but the oil was horrid, much too good at sticking dirt to chain.
Won't be trying again until I know they've changed the formula.