Author Topic: Recommendations sought for MATT black leg warmers . . .  (Read 1601 times)

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
Recommendations sought for MATT black leg warmers . . .
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:27:55 pm »
AND logo-less, also without swirly motiffed or straight lined reflective 'highlights'

Simple really  ;) ?

Tried Planet X merino ones but sadly they're Nora Batty-ish after a few miles - cos not tight enough

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Recommendations sought for MATT black leg warmers . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 02:59:41 pm »
It's a shame you don't like the PX ones (the on-one branded one's right?) personally they're my favourite set.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:29:11 pm »
Had some Decathlon B'twin ones that from memory met your requirements, though mine weren't a great fit which is why I no longer have them.   No reflectives, not shiny though not sure I'd describe them as matt, can't remember if they were branded or not, certainly nothing garish.  I have a couple of other items of clothing from Decathlon and am generally happy with them.
My legwarmers of choice are those from Corinne Dennis, lovely material and fit, fail your criteria on reflectives and logo, though as they're UK made you could ask if they'd do you a custom pair.

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »
My legwarmers of choice are those from Corinne Dennis, lovely material and fit, fail your criteria on reflectives and logo, though as they're UK made you could ask if they'd do you a custom pair.

Thanks - I didn't think of looking at Corinne's stuff ::-) Especially as I have two pairs of her beautiful "Supplex" very matt black non bib shorts and a pair of her superb ¾ 'knicks'

Email sent to her re the possibility of PLAIN legwarmers

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:53:52 pm »
It's a shame you don't like the PX ones (the on-one branded one's right?) personally they're my favourite set.

Just tried to dig them out from the usual suspect bedroom drawers - but can't find 'em. Loved the 100% merino bit - and bought them cos so happy with the perfect PlanetX Merino arm warmers (of which I have several, bought as low as £4 a pair)

However, the leg warmers weren't quite tight enough around my reasonably high mileage yet skinny thighs, in that they creeped down and then bunched up uncomfortably behind the knees  :(

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:15:49 pm »
I've found that the best thing to prevent the Nora Batty effect, is to put on the leg warmers first, and then to put on the 3/4s on top of them.
Lasts around 15 urban miles before adjustment is required.

Somewhere on here, in another lifetime, which the search engine cannot find, I posted instructions on how to add additional silicone gripper (no sewing required) to your leg warmers.
It wasn't especially at all effective, and as advice goes, is probably best ignored.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:44:35 pm »
All the ones I've tried, knee/leg-warmers don't stay up well on the outside. (and I actually think it's a weird look; I shall write to the "Rules" guy, it could make a whole column in Cyclist ... )

Their merino arm-warmers are indeed great. Except the last lot I bought came up stupidly short - I suspect a dodgy batch, the curse of many On-One deals! Arms are a different shape - who knew?!?

(Howies merino armies are very nice - suspect the RRP is obscene, but sometimes good kit is worth paying for, when you can't find the right bargain.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles