Author Topic: Recommend me an ultralight rain jacket that will fit in a jersey pocket  (Read 1065 times)

Hi - am looking for recommendations for an ultralight rain jacket that will pack down small and fit in a jersey rear pocket. Am not expecting it to be as robust or rain proof as thicker/heavier models and this isn't for commuter/touring use, rather just in case I get caught out on training/club rides.  Would prefer it not to be too "boil in the bag", though and to have some semblance of breath-ability. Thanks!

EDIT: does anyone have an experience of using the Galibier VentUltra jacket?: https://galibier.cc/product/ventjacket/
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Re: Recommend me an ultralight rain jacket that will fit in a jersey pocket
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:42:42 pm »
I tend to use Decathlon or Vermarc ones. As I seem to lose them cheap and cheerful works for me ( I lost 2 over pave in Belgium last month!).
These are “ boil in the bag” , but they keep out the wet, and for me more importantly, the cold. My experience tells me that to get anything seriously better and properly breathable you’re into £200+ Gore jobs.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:31 pm »
Gore ONE 1985 Gore-Tex Shakedry waterproof cycling jacket

Score: 10

Price: £230

At just 98g, the packable and breathable waterproof is proof that you get what you pay for. The GORE ONE 1985 Gore-Tex Shakedry has the versatility of an emergency lightweight rain cape, yet the performance of a hardshell waterproof – giving you the best of both worlds, but at £230, doesn’t come cheap.

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/cycling-jackets-wet-weather-139198#R7xizVJ9AZtFEsaR.99
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »
I'm a fanboi of the Endura Adrenaline 'Racecape', gettable for around £50. Bundles up into an applesize sac.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:30:17 pm »
Another vote here for the Endura racecape

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 02:01:28 pm »
I have the expensive gore shakedry as well
It really is water proof and breatheable and it fits in a tiny volume. It would easily go in a back pocket
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 02:44:07 pm »
I use a Castelli Squadra (£40 in 2014), for windproof & light showers (no taped seams).  Very light with some vents, easy to shove in Jersey pocket.

£25 currently on ChnRxn.

"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 05:59:36 pm »
Thanks for all the replies so far, the Gore Shakedry sounds fantastic, but that price...

Think I want something a bit more rain proof than the Castelli, though it looks like a nice jacket

The Endura Racecape sounds promising, especially for the price and the use case I have for the jacket. How is the sizing with this jacket? I'm about 5'8" (172 cm), 38-39" chest, and currently a bit heavier than I'd like to be (11 1/2 stone / 74Kg) - so hopefully this isn't "Italian race fit"?

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:10:48 am »
I've got a lightweight Campag jacket that was half price (£50ish) from one of the usual mail order suspects a few years ago. Taped seams, semi breathable (not *quite* boil in the bag), and comfortably pocketable - I reckon any current equivalent could be worth a look.

(My next jacket will almost certainly be a Gore Shakedry though, to replace both that one and my heavier, more breathable, Gore one.)

Manotea

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:56:27 am »
Thanks for all the replies so far, the Gore Shakedry sounds fantastic, but that price...

Think I want something a bit more rain proof than the Castelli, though it looks like a nice jacket

The Endura Racecape sounds promising, especially for the price and the use case I have for the jacket. How is the sizing with this jacket? I'm about 5'8" (172 cm), 38-39" chest, and currently a bit heavier than I'd like to be (11 1/2 stone / 74Kg) - so hopefully this isn't "Italian race fit"?
Endura sizes are UK, I'm 5'11 around 40-42" chest and a Large is a snug cycling fit, so I'd suggest a medium for you.

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 12:35:06 pm »
Just to chime in (with stuff you probably know anyway), essentially you have two choices. 1) Windproof, damproof, breatheable, and relatively inexpensive, or 2) Waterproof, various degrees of breatheability, and relatively expensive. One is not superior to the other - they just do different things. Swings n roundabouts/horses 4 courses/mixing of metaphors etc

1) is single layer polyester (often marketed as Pertex) or some flavour of Nylon - both of which are thin but surprisingly tough and will keep their properties for years if you wash them correctly. *

2) is generally a fragile membrane system that IME will fail over time, however well it's looked after.

*I've started using a Paramo windproof layer for general casual/outdoorsy things now, which although breatheable, keeps biting winds and light showers out, and can be combined into a fairly waterproof system by wearing one of their special fleeces underneath. Although not as fully waterproof as a 'proper' membrane sytem, I don't overheat like i have done with Gore/Triplepoint in the past. As a result, I'm looking at Montane running jackets (Litespeed) now for all round use. (bike, running and general knocking aboutery) as I don't cycle these days if I know it's going to proper chuck it down. (If however I do have to venture out with cats and dogs forecast to descend from high, at least I'll have the option of bunging a Paramo fleece on underneath)

Saying all that, the Endura Racecape does look rather natty...!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:12:21 pm »
I guess really I need two types of jacket:

1) One for autumn/winter commuting (I have to cycle, whatever the weather) or where I've committed to a non-commuting ride, but know it will likely to be very wet. Ideally should be fairly durable and breathable, so I don't arrive at work too sweaty. I've been using an older mid-range Gore jacket for the past 3 or 4 years, which has a sort of soft-feel outer -  it's been pretty good and the fit in medium is spot-on for me, but it's starting to not be so waterproof anymore, even after washing in Tech Wash, and the lining is now ripped in both sleeves and I should probably replace this before this winter.

2) A lighter-weight one for training/club/sportive rides where the weather is probably going to okay, but there is some chance of rain. Also to keep me warm if I need to stop for a while to repair a puncture etc.

My original question was more about 2) but I need both really (or perhaps a Gore One and be careful about looking after it...)

Recommend me an ultralight rain jacket that will fit in a jersey pocket
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:45:52 pm »
Use two different ones. Both were bought on sale. SHUTT velo Rapide for £45 instead of £85. Perfect for windy weather and slightly thicker than my Rapha Wind jacket for £75 instead of £150! Both really adept at keep the blasted wind out. SHUTT is better for rain but not deluge or torrential.

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 01:54:13 pm »
I have a as new Shakedry in small for sale: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107993

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 02:02:22 pm »
I have a as new Shakedry in small for sale: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107993

Thanks, though am pretty sure I would be at least Medium

Manotea

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 05:21:39 pm »
I guess really I need two types of jacket...

Youre not wrong... I team up my Adrenaline with a basic Gore paclite jacket (just a back pocket/pacsac). A bit old school nowadays but does the job. Packs to about the size of a waterbottle. What determines what I wear is temperture rather than how hard its raining.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 09:04:44 am »
Cioch Clothing On Skye made me a wind shirt tailored to fit.  Can be made showerproof with a techwash, fits perfectly and, for £90, is a fine piece of kit.  Smock style, rolls into its chest pocket and will scrunch into a pocket.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 08:34:42 pm »
Bike specific I use a Castelli Tempesta. Super nice and super pricey. I’ve also got an Althea Pocket Rocket that’s OK and I can stuff in a jersey pocket or saddlebag and not worry about it. It works ok, but is probably not all that breathable.

In non cycling terms I’ve a couple of petted running jackets of varying ages and an everyday Paramo Quito that does everything.

The Montane jackets have nice long tails I think.

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 08:49:15 am »
I guess really I need two types of jacket:

1) One for autumn/winter commuting (I have to cycle, whatever the weather) or where I've committed to a non-commuting ride, but know it will likely to be very wet. Ideally should be fairly durable and breathable, so I don't arrive at work too sweaty. I've been using an older mid-range Gore jacket for the past 3 or 4 years, which has a sort of soft-feel outer -  it's been pretty good and the fit in medium is spot-on for me, but it's starting to not be so waterproof anymore, even after washing in Tech Wash, and the lining is now ripped in both sleeves and I should probably replace this before this winter.

2) A lighter-weight one for training/club/sportive rides where the weather is probably going to okay, but there is some chance of rain. Also to keep me warm if I need to stop for a while to repair a puncture etc.

My original question was more about 2) but I need both really (or perhaps a Gore One and be careful about looking after it...)
1) Shower Pass Elite, best jacket I've owned, though that's only a sample of three.  Well made, robust, good fabric but mainly the venting means I'll leave it on even after the rain stops without overheating. I wear it on winter commutes regardless of the weather. Also a nice company to deal with, free returns and ask nicely and you may get a 10% discount.
2) last time we had this thread I recommended the Alpkit Arro, I still would if you're lucky enough to find it in stock, a 50/50 chance at best.  I've had a few of these windproof, water resistant, Pertex type jackets, they've all preformed about the same.  IME the difference has been down to fit, loose and they're annoyingly flappy, too tight seems to effect the water resistance.  The latest waterproofs like the Shakedry look impressive, my only concern would be longevity, I don't mind if a 30 windproof gets trashed in a spill or wears out in a couple of years, I would if I'd spent £150.