Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 6875 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2019, 10:12:11 am »
The last Daylight was in 2007. Maybe traffic conditions have improved since then.
Althought that's not the last time it was used in daylight on a calendar event.

Traffic count is not a predictable thing, and riders impressions/reactions to it are even less predictable. It's a bit like weather vs climate.

I found it OK, but busier than I'd have liked on both rides (1 in each direction). It's a spectacular road, that is some compensation for the traffic count. But riding at the back of the Daylight '07 I did meet the sad sight of another rider in an ambulance (broken leg IIRC?).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:03 am »
The Daylight was cancelled because the organisers realised it is no longer a suitable road for an audax event. And it has got much worse since then.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2019, 11:58:06 am »
The Daylight was cancelled because the organisers realised it is no longer a suitable road for an audax event. And it has got much worse since then.

What I find a tad annoying is it's a prime candidate for providing a decent alternative, most of the Telford route is probably usable too as the 1920s upgrade was largely offline though wouldn't want to use it over the black Mount as it's bloody busy with walkers since it's now part of the WHW. Yet Sustrans' latest shouting in the area is about providing the "busy" route from Oban to Corran Ferry, which is usually pretty quiet on the road except at commuting times as it isn't the main route from the central belt to the west highlands.

As I've mentioned before the best bet for the A85 and A82 route is to ride it late evening, night or early morning as it'll be all but deserted, and in summer you'll only briefly need your lights.

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2019, 02:23:27 pm »
Mr Eejit has it right. A quick look at DfT's traffic counts (amazing what you can find on the internet) and a few ststistical assumptions from me suggest that peak flow over Rannoch Moor will be about 700 vehicles/hour. That's more than CTT would allow for a time trial course, and certainly more than I'd want for audaxing.

As far as I can work out, it should be possible to avoid busy times on the A82 heading up, but on the way back it will be more difficult. To do so would require some fast riding and/or unusual sleep times. To be honest I'd be happier retracing the outward route, even though it's 40k longer. But this would mean missing the control at Crianlarich.

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:47 pm »
I ride regularly on major A fast dual carriageway roads in the middle of Brum. Are people really saying the A82 is worse than that ?

« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2019, 02:48:45 pm »
I ride regularly on major A fast dual carriageway roads in the middle of Brum. Are people really saying the A82 is worse than that ?

The problem with the A82 is that at least in respect of the 35 miles between Crianlarich and Glencoe Village its an old fashioned two lane A road and its not wide enough for two modern cars and a bike.   

Add to that the fact that there's virtually no built up areas, no speed limits (other than the default national one) and no speed cameras means traffic both ways is very fast.  I drive Edinburgh - Ft William to my in laws fairly frequently with my most recent trip home last Sunday.  When driving at a steady 60 I was being routinely overtaken and had the added pleasure of a couple of close shaves with overtaking traffic coming towards me.   Expect that experience when on a bike.   

In summer I now use the A9 via Dalwhinnie to get to the Fort.  The A9 used to have a reputation for being one of Scotlands most dangerous road but the average speed cameras the full length from Dunblane to Inverness have made a huge difference.   

I last cycled the A82 May Bank Holiday 2010 doing a DIY twist on the Daylight 600, and Id not cycle it again.   

FifeingEejit

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2019, 03:02:56 pm »
I suspect time will be more manageable for those on the 1000 than the 1200.

Comparing it to a fast dual-carraigeway in town with drivers largely with the same aims, get to work/shops.

The biggest problem is the mix of traffic; when I'm driving it I usually want to get somewhere, and I'll be stuck behind some t*rist who's crawling along at 30/40 looking at the hillsides, wandering into the wrong lane, and blocking overtakes I could have made; they'll then eventually complete their freak out and dive into a parking space at 60 to let me past.

Then there's the pinch points: very few of the bridges have been widened from the 1920s build; the bridge between Bridge of Orchy and the Black Mount switch backs is a great example (seen in the video); you're not allowed to overtake on approach anymore, but was a great overtaking spot if you timed it right before that was put in place... If you've a tour bus or lorry oncoming then you're stopping, if theres a tourist oncoming then they're stopping, if there's two locals approaching it then there's either going to be a tight squeeze or wing mirrors flying.

Middle of the day may actually be ok depending on what else is going on and the weather, it's the forenoon and afternoon tourist flows that are the worst.

and of course the lorries are the lorries regardless of the time of day.

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2019, 03:16:06 pm »
Thanks all !! Will see the map and check points andy sends out but I have to make Inverness by 10pm for my hotel on the Sat night !

FifeingEejit

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2019, 04:00:35 pm »
Doing the 1000 my biggest concerns are
the rest and be thankful (climbing over the fates on the old military road may be a necessary pain)
the Corran Ferry to Fort Bill section of the A82 which I reckon will be midday to late afternoon (depending on when leaving Paisely) so could be busy.
return I'm aiming for after the rush

Doing the Twilight Perm my biggest concerns are:
From the Climb out of Tyndrum to the Study
After that I reckon unless there's wind issues the speed I'll be going at will assist massivley.

But that's planned for the start of March, so chances are it's either that I'll spend a fair whack of time filtering the Ski queue or it'll only be a handfull of outdoorsey people on the roads.

« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 09:43:29 pm »
Another set of questions as I can not stop thinking of this !!

- presume at paisley plenty of power points ?
- food wise at Paisley is there nearby chippies etc or if desperate 24hr shops ? I always get VERY hungry

« Reply #110 on: Today at 07:27:17 am »

- food wise at Paisley is there nearby chippies etc or if desperate 24hr shops ? I always get VERY hungry

Yeabbut you can't eat carbs... how about a pot of goose fat in your rear pocket to boost those ketones?  ;D

« Reply #111 on: Today at 07:29:26 am »
Actually when doing rides do not worry because shortage of food I would prefer !