Author Topic: Aldi cycling kit...  (Read 3835 times)

Aldi cycling kit...
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:27:19 pm »
From 30 September...  May nip down and take a look.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/cycling?q=%3Apopular&page=0

Tyre's a bit...

Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Aldi cycling kit...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:23:43 pm »
I used to think Aldi/Lidl were brilliant, until the LBSs started closing.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
I guess Aldi are part of it all, but possibly not up there with the likes of the Chain Wiggle corp.  The only Aldi things I've really had a lot of use out of are a couple of pairs of cycling shorts bought ~3yrs ago, and an AA front bike light that was half decent.  I gave up on Lidl (though still using the bike stand).
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:53:17 pm »
Oh, I do have some Adlidly stuff, and it was, for me, a gateway to proper stuff. A chance to buy a bib short for £12.50 as proof of concept. Concept proved, I moved on, past the £4.99 jackhammers and cabbages.

Still, to this day, after a glass or two of whisky, I give a prayer to the models that were used to design the cycling clothing.

I have been to Germany and I have never seen a 6ft German with 1ft 6" legs. Or a barrel chested one with 3ft arms.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 11:00:20 pm »
Yes, proof of concept is probably right.  My first SPD shoes were from Lidl, OK to cope with for a bit, but weighed a ton & the raging hot foot moved me quickly to Shimano.  Aldi base layers seem quite popular.  Fit does vary a lot, my medium Aldi shorts were always on the slightly big side, when I ordered medium DHB shorts I could hardly get into them.  I note Aldi stopped doing mens kit in 'small'.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 05:39:07 am »
I do use them and have pre ordered a few bits this time round. It’s not all good by any means and I dont don’t bother with the clothing any more for example, but there are some gems to be had.

I’m still using the winter bibs from several years ago, though.

A

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 09:49:50 am »
I've got an Aldi (probably, could have been Lidl) merino blend jersey from several years ago that I still like. This year's version looks more specifically cyclingey, which is kind of a shame as the versatility was good. I've had their shorts in the past and wouldn't again.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 04:02:57 pm »
So I had a look, and bought Long John & LS grey top merino base layers in medium; I'm 188cm (6'2") /~77kg, and they all seem to fit fine. Also pair of merino and some synthetic socks.  I've only had synthetic BLs before, so a bit of a merino 'tester'... 

Cast an eye over the 'high powered cree' twin light set, but as suspected no beam shape & didn't actually seem that powerful.  USB charging (& decreasing battery life), and rear light looked like it was designed for seat post (no good for me).  May be OK for well lit town/city. YMMV.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 04:13:04 pm »
I bought some of the merino blend socks but on trying them on they are a very course weave and have baggy toe-ends with poorly positioned seams that could get very annoying on long rides.  Will be returning.  Decathlon do something similar but much higher quality for 50p more.

The weatherproof gloves however are very nice and my favourite cold-weather gloves down to around 5c.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 04:25:03 pm »
I'm shoe size 11, and the merino socks fit really well - feel 'supportive', and I like the extra length above the ankle.  I could'nt see an issue with the seams, but in any event I have decent toe wiggle room in my shoes. Yes, reasonably thick/heavy weave; will give the sealskinz w/p socks a rest when very cold (&dry), and try these instead.

I wondered about the waterproof* socks on offer (£12.99), which seem less plastic baggy than my sealskinz socks, but left it.

*Only when also deploying the 'marigold-cuff' device...  ;)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 04:42:16 pm »
Cast an eye over the 'high powered cree' twin light set, but as suspected no beam shape & didn't actually seem that powerfu

It's the Lidl lights that have a shaped beam (as on a dynamo light).  The last time they had them was a few weeks ago; non-removable li-ion battery charged by USB, 3 brightness levels with 60 lux the brightest. Previously versions used to take 4xAA batteries but weren't as bright.

But I have got one Aldi light with a shaped beam (4xAAA) but I think apart from that I haven't seem any other shaped beam lights in Aldi.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 08:55:59 pm »
Decathlon do something similar but much higher quality for 50p more.

Have a look at the Planet X socks for £3. Large are a good fit on my size 10's, I got 5 pair for a tenner a couple of weeks ago   ;D
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXMERS1P/planet-x-thicky-merino-socks

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:06:45 pm »

I wondered about the waterproof* socks on offer (£12.99), which seem less plastic baggy than my sealskinz socks, but left it.

*Only when also deploying the 'marigold-cuff' device...  ;)

I have some of those from last year. They are very good. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 07:24:25 pm »
Heads up.  Aldi cycling gear out on Thurs, if interested.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:39 pm »
These are intriguing - firstly for the sizes and secondly for the claim to be "puncture proof".  If I could find an Aldi near me I'd be tempted to give them a try at that price

https://www.aldi.co.uk/26-27-5%22-presta-valve-bicycle-tube/p/097682278628502
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 12:29:42 am »
Likely the same slime shiz as you've been able to buy for years in various guises:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/275x17-22-self-sealing-bike-inner-tube-presta-id_8345620.html

Apparently of marginal benefit for some punctures, but calling them puncture proof is on very shakey ground.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 01:09:03 am »
My experience of slime-filled tubes is that they can work reasonably well for small holes at MTB pressures, but you can forget about patching them.  I'm unconvinced that they're worthwhile at road pressures unless you're incapable of repairing a puncture and want to belt & braces your Marathon Plus.  You also have to be careful to avoid letting the sealant clog the valve.

If you want to go self-sealing, tubeless seems like a better approach.

I assume "puncture-proof" is more a foible of translation rather than a vastly inflated claim.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 12:03:38 pm »
I first heard of slime tubes when Keith notp was mending a puncture. He ended up putting a normal tube in... However, he did say he'd had to mend fewer punctures than normal since using the slime tubes. I guess they could be seen as a halfway house to tubeless without the need for new rims, tyres and compressor? They do apparently self-seal like tubeless most of the time.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 01:26:03 pm »
Nipped in, and picked up some slimey inner tubes to try, the telescopic mini pump, small bike 'axle' stand.  Will try the shorts, to see if they're OK, given the price.

edit. 

pump.  Looked promising, but a bit weedy in getting any air into tyre & the pressure guage didn't register anything with presta.  Guage works with schrader, but seems to read a bit low.  Will try again, but it may go back, though the clip is similar to one I use for my RoadMorphG, so may keep the pump just for this; Aldi pump slightly larger diameter, so 1-3 rounds of duct tape seems to give a good fit.

Shorts.   Decent pad, lycra on the thin side, drawstring is welcome.  Ok for commuting.

Socks.  too short.

Small stand.  OK. On hard flat surfaces only.

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 10:04:59 pm »
'Puncture proof' inner tube tried for the first time with new 32c tyres.  At first inflation the tube full on exploded at ~80psi, and made my ears ring.  On inspection there was a 5" tear in the tube.   No idea what happened - not exactly a common occurence.   :facepalm: :-\ ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 10:34:24 pm »
'Puncture proof' inner tube tried for the first time with new 32c tyres.  At first inflation the tube full on exploded at ~80psi, and made my ears ring.  On inspection there was a 5" tear in the tube.   No idea what happened - not exactly a common occurence.   :facepalm: :-\ ::-)

Well, you're unlikely to get any punctures in it now...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 09:56:36 am »
Yeah its not bad the Aldi stuff. I've had a few pieces that disintegrated due to some heavy commuting but for the price you can't complain!