Author Topic: Exped Synmat HL sleeping mat (see also Thermorest Neo-air review by others)  (Read 886 times)

Just bought two of these from Rock and Run https://rockrun.com/collections/sleeping-mats/products/exped-synmat-hl-m 
Thoughts

1. Rock and Run are nice to do business with - immediately responsive when DPD made a bollox of the delivery.
2. The mat is indeed very small and light.
3. The Schnozzle pumpsack thing works very well - 3 blows or so and the mat is inflated.
4. The Medium mat is fine for Mrs Q (5'6" tall and regular build), but I wish I'd bought the Medium Wide.  Length is fine for me (just, at 5'10") and the width is ok (just) but doesn't give much room for manoeuvre.  Laying flat on my back the outside of my arms is pretty much on the edge so the sleeping back will be very much hanging over.
5. The mat deflates and folds easily back into it's little bag without being fiddly.

Nonetheless, it's very comfy and looks well constructed and suitable for the job we have planned (lightweight backpacking).  Can't wait to test it out properly.  Re: durability - will let you know.

We considered the Thermarest Neoair but as they're made in USAnia and I have no particular desire to help an orange faced pussy grabber Make A*erica Great Again I bought a European alternative.  It looks a very similar sort of product.

Some recent cycle touring guests introduced me to the "Schnozzel" and its great that its included with many Exped mats now.

I know because I just upgraded. I had a Synmat UL 9M, so 183 x 52 x 9 cm. Which turned out to be a nuisance since I'm 185cm tall and of course long than that when lying down.

So have just got a Synmat UL LW which is 197 x 65 x 7 cm. I was slightly worried by it being thinner but its not actually a problem and I love the extra width and length.

I don't know if it is just the age of my old mat or something that Exped have changed but the new one is also considerable quieter when I roll around, something appreciated by the other half. 

Mrs Q and I tested our Synmat HLs on an overnight jaunt to Sussex over the weekend - which mostly involved getting wet and repairing to the pub for beer ;D

The mats are excellent and I found I was fine with the standard size mat and didn't keep rolling off the side (in part because of the tight squeeze in the tent).  Inflates super quick and re-packs easily into its bag.

The "schnozzel" bag seems to be very versatile and the instructions suggest you can use it as a washing machine, dry bag, non-potable water carrier (possibly ok for potable but it's not been tested to standard for that).

Further review!
Our jaunt to Sweden found our two Exped mats to be excellent. Comfy to lay on (if you don't over fill them with air) and very quick to inflate/deflate. Also easy to roll up and pack bag into it's bag
Mrs Q picked up a puncture, and since then we've been obsessive about shaking out the tent to remove debris, but it was very easily fixed using the included repair kit.  When I say easily, I mean we had to dip it in a snow melt river at 3000'+above sea level to find where the air was escaping. At least it wasn't a seam leak which was what we initially feared.

The "schnozzle" pump sack (https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_Schnozzel_Pumpbag/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=178352&SelectedItem=738529&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInoW49sSv4wIVUkPTCh2o7g1_EAQYAiABEgKkxfD_BwE ) turned out to be surprisingly handy.  We both took ours on the expedition, and on mornings when we had to pack the tent up wet I used my schnozzle as a dry bag to keep the wet flysheet away from the dry tent inner which we packed separately.  The schnozzle bag was also called into service as a rudimentary shower suspended from a tree to reasonable effect, for the purposes of Mrs Q washing her hair.

The mat is what it is, pretty lightweight and therefore a bit delicate, but served us well and should last a long time with good care.
Recommended.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Further review!
Our jaunt to Sweden found our two Exped mats to be excellent. Comfy to lay on (if you don't over fill them with air) and very quick to inflate/deflate. Also easy to roll up and pack bag into it's bag
Mrs Q picked up a puncture, and since then we've been obsessive about shaking out the tent to remove debris, but it was very easily fixed using the included repair kit.  When I say easily, I mean we had to dip it in a snow melt river at 3000'+above sea level to find where the air was escaping. At least it wasn't a seam leak which was what we initially feared.

The "schnozzle" pump sack (https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_Schnozzel_Pumpbag/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=178352&SelectedItem=738529&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInoW49sSv4wIVUkPTCh2o7g1_EAQYAiABEgKkxfD_BwE ) turned out to be surprisingly handy.  We both took ours on the expedition, and on mornings when we had to pack the tent up wet I used my schnozzle as a dry bag to keep the wet flysheet away from the dry tent inner which we packed separately.  The schnozzle bag was also called into service as a rudimentary shower suspended from a tree to reasonable effect, for the purposes of Mrs Q washing her hair.

The mat is what it is, pretty lightweight and therefore a bit delicate, but served us well and should last a long time with good care.
Recommended.

I believe they make an actual shower adaptor for the schnozzel bag...

I had a puncture on mine, despite various attempts to find it, I couldn't, and in the end I sent it back to exped, and they charged me €30 to fix it. Which was worth it to me.

Love mine, I have the synmat HL in 70mm, and the downmat version in 90mm. The Downmat one is great, but you really notice the extra size when it's packed up.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/