Author Topic: Community garden project  (Read 1891 times)

Community garden project
« on: 14 November, 2008, 02:49:23 pm »
I originally posted this in "Wild Things", but it was quite rightly pointed out to me that it should be better placed in The Allotment...so here is it in the correct place:

I am in the position of overseeing a community 'garden' type project and looking for your suggestions re what kind of thing you would go for if you had acres and acres to play with.  

No restrictions, sustainable, possibly partially self-financing (so, could be looking at selling produce), looking at developing educational opportunities for those without qualifications, linking into training providers, encouraging schools to become involved.  Looking at wildlife garden, some animals, pond, benches, allotment type area, etc

I have been informed the land covers 5 acres but I visited a few days ago and reckon it's a bit bigger, but maybe not....

Seriously this is a real opportunity for me to oversee something of value for the community.

Any suggestions?  :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Community garden project
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:16:56 pm »
I originally posted this in "Wild Things", but it was quite rightly pointed out to me that it should be better placed in The Allotment...so here is it in the correct place:

I am in the position of overseeing a community 'garden' type project and looking for your suggestions re what kind of thing you would go for if you had acres and acres to play with.  

No restrictions, sustainable, possibly partially self-financing (so, could be looking at selling produce), looking at developing educational opportunities for those without qualifications, linking into training providers, encouraging schools to become involved.  Looking at wildlife garden, some animals, pond, benches, allotment type area, etc

I have been informed the land covers 5 acres but I visited a few days ago and reckon it's a bit bigger, but maybe not....

Seriously this is a real opportunity for me to oversee something of value for the community.

Any suggestions?  :thumbsup:

1. Plant an orchard. Do it all in one go otherwise adding trees later can be problematic. This is also a pretty much win-win low maintenance bit of produce.

2. Compost heap

3. Rows for veg. Can be extended as the need arises. Think rotation as well as the more permanent sorts (asparagus).

4. Fruit bushes. If you do this you should put them in a cage to protect from the wildlife. I may be able to donate some rhubarb crowns. Black/red/white currants gooseberries, and blueberries should grow readily from cuttings.

5. Well matured horse manure will make for a great pumpkin patch. ISTR you have access to such material.

6. Lots of containers for stuff like roots. It keeps the need for weeding down. Local restaurants are good sources of 15-25 litre pots.

7. Chickens. Though this will rely on people taking some care of them.

Hope these suggestions help.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2008, 03:33:04 pm »
Have you thought about joining in the the River Cottage Landshare scheme?  It could work to everyone's advantage...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FyPuNK

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2008, 04:07:34 pm »
With 5 acres there is loads of scope, apart from veg and fruit why not introduce a wildlife area, play area/ area's (young and old). Get in touch with local business and try and get them to donate to it, I know times are hard for some but they can claim tax for community projects, we had a local builders merchants bring their mini diggers down and landscaped an area at no charge.

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:57:53 pm »
I think you should talk to these people The National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners, NSALG, Allotments, protect, promote, preserve, grow your own and maybe ask advice on this forum Allotments 4 All - Allotments 4 All

I know that maintaining a community garden can be problematical, like any shared work scheme.  Everyone thinks that they're doing more than their share, but it somehow never adds up to 100%.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:02:46 pm »
5 acres implies it's not a town centre site.

Therefore, spend a bit of thought on access. If you don't, it will be car access only by default - to the exclusion of the young and poor.

Bike parking, walking routes, nearby bus services etc.

Non-car access is and always has been a bit of a hobby horse of mine.

cometworm

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2008, 09:27:02 pm »
If you're around the Southbank, the Tate Modern has a lovely community garden. If you tell them what you're up to you can probably have a look around (it's gated, with a password for access by local residents).