Author Topic: Audax & Recovery time  (Read 2342 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Audax & Recovery time
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 03:53:57 pm »
Yeah, I used my charm and good looks to sneak in. ;)
The RatN start town should be a little less hectic than TCR, although I'm pretty good at turning everything into a last minute panic.
Then again it's NL so there's the coffee shop option for relaxing pre-race. :)

In Amerongen? *giggle*

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
Fitness aside, I DNS'ed (with apologies) from the BCM last year because having just done the Brevet Cymru, I simply didn't fancy the logistical exercise again so soon.

I know some of you would ride one every weekend if you could, but one every 1.5 months is about my limit.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »

Have created a thread in the racing section for RatN, as it appears there's a fair number of us from YACF racing:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109961.0

J
--

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »
The general principle of TSS is that an hour at FTP = 100 TSS.

So 2 hours at 50% FTP also = 100TSS.

This specific detail is incorrect.

TSS = IF^2 * hours * 100.

So your example of 50% FTP * 2 hours is 50 TSS.  For 2h to be the same TSS as 1h at 100% FTP you're looking at an IF of around about 0.7.

The physiological cost of higher intensity is not linear, which is reflected by this formula.

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:35 am »
It would be easier to answer the question for racing, as the objective is clear - to go as fast as you can.  Rules of thumb are as others describe: say 1-2 weeks for a 400 or 600 and 2-4 weeks to get over a 12 or a 24, but it varies by individual. 

For audax you may not care about going as fast as possible, but be content to plod round at the time limit.  If that is the aim, your body could probably do the next one more or less immediately. It's just like doing something like the TCR where you just keep on doing big distances day after day. 

The real limiter is mental: whether you will be prepared to do it - how you feel to be back on your bike for another ride.  There's only one way to find that out!

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:39 am »
The real limiter is mental: whether you will be prepared to do it - how you feel to be back on your bike for another ride.  There's only one way to find that out!

Have to agree.  I find that a lot of long rides in short space of time often results in a long period of not much riding at all, simply because I can't be bothered any more!

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 01:00:12 pm »
Another vote for depends who you are. I’ve done the following over a 9 week period, working a full time job in the NHS commuting by bike when not pedalling brevets;

Summer Arrow (500+ km)
600km brevet
1200km brevet USA
1400km brevet UK
1200km brevet Spain

As Hippy said the ‘how much do I want this’ is very important as well as the physical capacity to carry out this type of riding. Agree that it’s the mental bit that gets the biggest bashing 

Similar crazy escapades have been repeated since generally because my Director Sportif aka Timpsie is a total patch chasing slave driver. N

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 06:25:10 pm »

'scuse the thread necromancy...

Originally I started this thread about recovery times from 400+ events. What do people feel if 200's are thrown in the mix? I'm wondering if I'm being an idiot trying to do:

8 days
5 days
14 days
~9 days (depends on when you count the ride finishing...)
1890km (RATN)
12 days
7 days
7 days
12 days
12 days
20 days
TCR

The Increase in the length of RatN by 200km means I no longer have the nice 16 days (1 per 100km), between it and the 400k (Ronde van Texel).

Trying to complete my RRtY (3 months left), trying to complete an SR series, and trying to do RatN,*AND* the TCR. I'm questioning my sanity...

Current HRV numbers are parasympathetic 8-10 most days, I've had a few days in sympathetic <5, but they have all been on days where work related stress has been through the roof.

Power meter hasn't yet arrived, so I can't properly track TSS, and associated useful stuff yet.

J
--

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 06:35:42 pm »
I had no qualms entering a 400 the week after my 600 and considering another 400 on the 3rd weekend.

I generally feel ok by the next weekend except for when I do a 1000.

Only you can know how you feel the following weekend. But a 400 14 days after a 400 should be ok unless the first one is the porkers in wessex.

edit. looking at the prgramme I would have doubts about the 40 so soon after 1890km, and also the 200km in the 2 week gap between the 400km and the 600km.

I know after a 1000km ride I don't want to ride at all for about 2 weeks, I certainly wouldn't want to do a 400 so soon.
   E = 77  SR = 2

« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 09:59:53 pm »
Can't see how RRTY and an SR would make your calendar that crowded. RRTY only enforces one ride of 200km or greater per month.  Plus the rides for the SR can also count for RRTY.

Again depends how fast you recover, how hard you push during the events, and whether mental burnout is a possibility.   On the Ratn you are likely to be doing 300km + back to back days with only a few hours sleep between.  So nothing mad about your schedule if that's what you want to try.  Just be wary of getting mentally burnt out ahead of the important events in your list.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 10:08:12 pm »
Can't see how RRTY and an SR would make your calendar that crowded. RRTY only enforces one ride of 200km or greater per month.  Plus the rides for the SR can also count for RRTY.

I've not yet done a ride longer than 312km. I tried a 600 last year, but bailed at the end of day 1. So by sticking the 200's in on the 1st day of the month, I can bank RRtY, which takes the pressure off on the 400's and 600's, so I don't over do it, and injure myself to avoid wasting the effort I've already done.

Again depends how fast you recover, how hard you push during the events, and whether mental burnout is a possibility.   On the Ratn you are likely to be doing 300km + back to back days with only a few hours sleep between.  So nothing mad about your schedule if that's what you want to try.  Just be wary of getting mentally burnt out ahead of the important events in your list.

My RatN plan currently has 280km per day as the aim. My target is to get round in the limit, Jasmijn Muller is going to win, it's just a case of how far behind I'll be. As long as I'm inside the time limit, I'll be happy.

J

--

« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 11:49:30 pm »
I think it’s a good idea to get your 200km rides in early in the month for RRTY to take the pressure off the longer rides and also to give excellent training for them. You’ve got some tough, long rides there so you’ll need to train a bit. Ideally I would ride a 200+km ride every weekend, but other commitments usually limit me to 3 per month. This year the main focus for me is PBP and I’m hopefully riding 3 of each qualifying distance over the next few months plus two 1000km rides before PBP. I am more concerned about losing fitness by leaving too long a gap between rides than allowing enough time for recovery. Even doing 3 x RRTY at the same time I managed a 4 week no cycling gap in January/February and my fitness did suffer and is only just back on the way up again now.