Author Topic: Audax & Recovery time  (Read 1733 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Audax & Recovery time
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 03:53:57 pm »
Yeah, I used my charm and good looks to sneak in. ;)
The RatN start town should be a little less hectic than TCR, although I'm pretty good at turning everything into a last minute panic.
Then again it's NL so there's the coffee shop option for relaxing pre-race. :)

In Amerongen? *giggle*

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
Fitness aside, I DNS'ed (with apologies) from the BCM last year because having just done the Brevet Cymru, I simply didn't fancy the logistical exercise again so soon.

I know some of you would ride one every weekend if you could, but one every 1.5 months is about my limit.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »

Have created a thread in the racing section for RatN, as it appears there's a fair number of us from YACF racing:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109961.0

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »
The general principle of TSS is that an hour at FTP = 100 TSS.

So 2 hours at 50% FTP also = 100TSS.

This specific detail is incorrect.

TSS = IF^2 * hours * 100.

So your example of 50% FTP * 2 hours is 50 TSS.  For 2h to be the same TSS as 1h at 100% FTP you're looking at an IF of around about 0.7.

The physiological cost of higher intensity is not linear, which is reflected by this formula.

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:35 am »
It would be easier to answer the question for racing, as the objective is clear - to go as fast as you can.  Rules of thumb are as others describe: say 1-2 weeks for a 400 or 600 and 2-4 weeks to get over a 12 or a 24, but it varies by individual. 

For audax you may not care about going as fast as possible, but be content to plod round at the time limit.  If that is the aim, your body could probably do the next one more or less immediately. It's just like doing something like the TCR where you just keep on doing big distances day after day. 

The real limiter is mental: whether you will be prepared to do it - how you feel to be back on your bike for another ride.  There's only one way to find that out!

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:39 am »
The real limiter is mental: whether you will be prepared to do it - how you feel to be back on your bike for another ride.  There's only one way to find that out!

Have to agree.  I find that a lot of long rides in short space of time often results in a long period of not much riding at all, simply because I can't be bothered any more!

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 01:00:12 pm »
Another vote for depends who you are. I’ve done the following over a 9 week period, working a full time job in the NHS commuting by bike when not pedalling brevets;

Summer Arrow (500+ km)
600km brevet
1200km brevet USA
1400km brevet UK
1200km brevet Spain

As Hippy said the ‘how much do I want this’ is very important as well as the physical capacity to carry out this type of riding. Agree that it’s the mental bit that gets the biggest bashing 

Similar crazy escapades have been repeated since generally because my Director Sportif aka Timpsie is a total patch chasing slave driver. N