Author Topic: Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread  (Read 2279 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
Re: Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 10:39:31 am »
I'm going to be on the 23:00 on the 15th as well.

The Flying Fish were super nice - we ordered food in advance to make their life easier last time.

I shouldn't be living in London by then, so not sure of exact travel plans - but likely that I will ride from London (unless the weather is as crazy as it got in 2015 (Brighton flooded etc.) where I was very pleased to get a text from Swisshat (with whom I was riding down to Newhaven) that morning suggesting we get the train to Brighton!).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 04:26:05 pm »
I'm on the lookout for any cancellations for the ferry out of Newhaven at 23:00 on 15th August and return from Dieppe at 23:59 (French time) on 23rd August.  I have secured a berth in a cabin (thanks Yanto) on this ferry but DFDS do not seem to be taking any more bookings for cyclists at these times.  Does anyone have any experience of risking it by booking on as a foot-passenger and hoping they'll accept the bike?
39. Because on every real bicycle there is the unseen pennant of progress, the standard of democracy, the banner of freedom.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 04:41:02 pm »
Back in 2016 Swiihat and I rode to Tours (for Le Douze Cents 1200) via Newhaven-Dieppe ferry. We could not get any bike bookings, as all of the spaces had been taken up by London-Paris 24 hour!
We booked foot passenger tickets, and then resorted to dissmantling the bikes and packing them in pastic bags. Just before joining the shuttle-bus to the ferry, there was a luggage trolly, that we were instructed to put our packed up bags. They were secured in the hold for the duration of the crossing. While it was a total faa, it did allow us to get across and modestly cost us an hour's delay on either side packing up and reassmbling the bikes.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 04:43:09 pm »
I'm on the lookout for any cancellations for the ferry out of Newhaven at 23:00 on 15th August and return from Dieppe at 23:59 (French time) on 23rd August.  I have secured a berth in a cabin (thanks Yanto) on this ferry but DFDS do not seem to be taking any more bookings for cyclists at these times.  Does anyone have any experience of risking it by booking on as a foot-passenger and hoping they'll accept the bike?
As per Laid Back Rich up-thread I have also just booked onto these ferries by phone, no problem

Thu 15th August 2019 23:00 outbound
Fri 23rd August 2019 23:59 inbound

phone number is 0800 917 12 01
39. Because on every real bicycle there is the unseen pennant of progress, the standard of democracy, the banner of freedom.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 04:32:25 pm »
I'm booked in for the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry on the:-

14/08/2019 17:30, arriving Dieppe 22:30.

and Returning:-

24/08/2019 23:59, arriving Newhaven 04:00.

In 2015,  I was on the 23:00 ferry, but hoping to get a few hours sleep before I got to Dieppe was a non event. A load of Women, kids, young girls etc making a racket chattering away. Eventually, someone stood up and told them all to f****g shut up but it was to late, the damage was done. This year, I will enjoy the voyage, get to Dieppe, find somewhere to park and maybe something to eat, get some sleep and carry on driving down to the Hotel early hours Thursday morning.

The return journey, same as 2015 gives me a relaxed day around Paris area or where ever I fancy going to explore, maybe a battlefield, do some shopping, few hours sleep. Drive up to Dieppe through the night, then spend a day in Dieppe and more shopping and touring. Not to fussed about sleep as I will just park up in UK and have a sleep before heading home.

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »
Would anyone have any experience on how they disembark cyclists at Newhaven??

i.e before the cars & punters, or after, or mingled??

I will be trying to get upto London for the Sleeper and was wondering whether the 15.30 Newhaven arrival would see me being able to get up to St Pancras before 21.00. There is no sleeper on a Saturday so I will be going for the Friday option if possible. I think it's about 70 miles & don't think I'll make that by bike in the time available so will wimp out & try & jump a train.

Thanks for any advice