Author Topic: WillyWarmer 2019  (Read 1089 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
WillyWarmer 2019
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:38:54 pm »
Yoiks, it's almost time for...

Yes, its true, this year the Willy Warmer is going to swing both ways! Click the graphic for details...

Re: WillyWarmer 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:51 am »
There must have been a more recent thread than this;

anyhoo who else is in? was looking forward to another reverse of the route but apparently it's all going anticlock

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »
anyhoo who else is in? was looking forward to another reverse of the route but apparently it's all going anticlock

I'm riding. Are you sure about the reverse route, as I selected that option in response to the email of 2nd January?   

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:35:47 pm »

I'm riding. Are you sure about the reverse route, as I selected that option in response to the email of 2nd January?

no, I was going to route check tomorrow (although cannot now) so haven't had any recent email about the reverse. The reverse route is very nice although does involve Whitchurch Hill in the last stages (and that nasty hill up to the A40 whose name escapes me)

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
I rode the reverse 4 years ago. I seem to remember one stretch in particular early on that had ice across the road in a sheltered dip. It was my first audax riding fixed ... I ran out of ooomph with about 70km to go, and was very grateful for a nice sit down and munch at Pangbourne.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:25:28 pm »
That was close, everything ready last night including coins for parking, bike checked etc. I wonder if I would have been the first to arrive exactly 7 days to early?  :facepalm:

Pity as the weather was looking quite reasonable for tomorrow.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:27:23 pm »
HK is planning on being there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:24:39 pm »
News flash: :...
For various reasons I've replaced  the Reverse Willy with a staggered start so riders can come early if they want to. A newsletter will reveal all. Also 'for technical reasons' I've reopened the entry portal till midnight.

Currently at 220 entries... could be the biggest Willy yet!

I know. It's a gift.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:37:53 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

yeahbut if it's cold and icy as it looks ATM, it might shrink considerably...  ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:39:56 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

Is having a willy required to enter? :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:39:36 pm »
Drat! Not long up after cycling home from the Jan Sale PBP qualifier yesterday, and thought I'd enter this as I've heard a team mate is doing it. Done it before but can't remember which way round.

Good luck everyone (and Justin!).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Manotea

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 02:29:39 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

J

Not at all... all hard and nippy riders welcome!

OK, let's stop now...

Just sent out a rider briefing email. The main news is that the route sheet and track have been updated to reflect changes to controls and the 'swing both ways' option has been dropped in favour of a simple staggered start with waves away from 7am.

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:41:58 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

J

No but a woolly warmer Shaun Shaw style might be handed out as a reward....

This is the brevet ther warmd parts others fail to reach and is a cracking ride.