Author Topic: New audax.uk site  (Read 10429 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: New audax.uk site
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 07:24:02 am »
I notice the login credentials of Aukweb do not work for me on the new audax.uk site login. Maybe a teasing issue? Resetting just redirects back the forgotten password on Aukweb.
Thanks for raising that...

There is a small difference between the authentication on the new site and the old. The old site will accept either your original system generated password (the one with random letters and numbers) OR any new password you created for yourself. However the new site will only accept your new password if you have set one (which is how most systems would work). So if you are having problems logging on the likely reason is that at some point you set yourself a password but forgot about it and are still using your original system password (we discovered this when the communications director could not log on!). The remedy is to logon to Aukweb, reset your password and then use that.

We will get a message put on both websites to inform people of this.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:26 am »
And I went looking for my own results — it wasn't all that obvious where they'd got to, and the sorting order leaves a LOT to be desired with ECEs separated from events on busy days — did nobody on the team think to ask Francis what the sort order should be and WHY?!!
Can you send me a screen shot please - then we can log this properly as something to check out and if necessary raise with the supplier.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 07:27:08 am »
And what about HTTPS?  Does nobody on "the web team" understand what that is and what it means with respect to Google searches?! 

And what it means with respect to the rather punitive GDPR?!

This is a very temporary situation - the project manager has this in hand. He hoped it would be sorted last week but it should be done this week. We thought it was better to put it live than keep it back for another week.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 08:04:35 am »
Removal of the cookie notice would be appreciated - cookie law got relaxed years ago just stick a link in the footer.

Site looks great though :)

Just logged in and looked at the Event section under Members... so so much better. Great work.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:04 am »
I dig the site. Big improvement. Already starting to plan my 2019 rides.
Bikepacking bargain basement: reviews of high value kit great for the tourer, bikepacker and randonneur on a budget

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109048.msg2312359#msg2312359

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 08:14:01 am »
The old site shouted ‘function’.

This one shouts ‘Committee’. (Like the footer, which is traditionally links only, this has paragraphs too. It is weird)

Hopefully some design expertise and content editing are to happen and this is just a sneak preview of an alpha site.

If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 08:14:04 am »
.... and now people start to realise how much IT (good functioning and robust) costs. It looks like a good start, but there is a long way to go, and then there will be the site maintenance costs.

I fear that AUK will struggle to fund a site meets the very demanding requirements of the membership and will have to make some hard decisions.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 08:15:32 am »
Dashboard observations:

1. Missing :hover state for Caret at right under "My Upcoming Calendar Events"

2. Missing :hover state for Caret at left under "My Completed Events This Season" for individual Event rows

3. Still a lot of work to optimize both tables for mobile devices (reduce font size) - applying the 'table-responsive' Class to the <table> element would help as well as it's currently impossible to scroll left/right.

4. Provisionally completed events are not indicated in any way as being as such.

+ It would be helpful if the "My Upcoming Calendar Events" accordion was already open on visiting the Dashboard page.

+ Again under "My Upcoming Calendar Events" I see the Status column, clearly both original tables have been joined, great - however it would be useful to have a checkbox to Hide/Show the "Maybes".

+ Ideally it would useful to be able to click anywhere on a row to have it collapse or alternatively align the row Carets to the Right underneath the parent Caret.

+ I'd like to be able to Sort the rows by Date, Distance and Climb and Status.

----

A couple of my rides have the Red Alert symbol showing against them they have had their AAA-rating adjusted - this is a great addition - a ride on Dec 1 now has points I can claim I never knew about.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 08:19:40 am »
So is this one now defunct?

http://www.aukweb.net/

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 08:20:42 am »
On Calendar Events under Advanced Search I can now filter out events that do not support PayPal - nice work!

Works in Permanent Events too; bonus, might encourage a few dinosaurs to join the information super highway.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 08:33:41 am »

It says In Development on the new website; so No not yet.

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 09:17:31 am »

It says In Development on the new website; so No not yet.

The all "organiser" part of it is on the old site, so it better still work, or no event will take place...  :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 09:29:28 am »
The site must be displaying differently to different people (which itself might indicate something not quite right?). I'm not seeing a cookie notice nor a paragraphed footer (though the footer is rather large and grey).

Good point someone raised up there^ about it being not at all obvious where to find your own results. The My Audax button could perhaps be made a bit more prominent, in colour, position, shape or similar?

PayPal is something people love to complain about – seeing it listed on the events page does show that the vast majority of events do take paypal. I can only see 3 on the first three pages that don't.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 09:36:39 am »
I noticed that if you open the Arrivee page in your profile, there is quite a lot of advert at the bottom. I would expect this to be the case when using a free platform, like Wordpress, but when paying a quarter of a million pound for a site to be developed, one would expect it to be advert free...  ::-)

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 09:40:04 am »
I noticed that if you open the Arrivee page in your profile, there is quite a lot of advert at the bottom. I would expect this to be the case when using a free platform, like Wordpress, but when paying a quarter of a million pound for a site to be developed, one would expect it to be advert free...  ::-)

Your now on a different website "Issu" that's why.

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 09:41:01 am »

Your now on a different website "Issu" that's why.

I see... so smooth a transition, I didn't even notice... :P

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 09:55:39 am »
Immediate impression is that it looks very slick, despite the evident initial niggles.

But here's one for the grammar experts. The lovely picture on the landing page invites us to challenge ourselves "to go that bit farther".

In the UK, don't we generally go "further"?

<lights blue touch-paper and retires to a safe distance>

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 11:27:14 am »
They'll be visited on the sun :P
2017 - R500 ✅ | 2018 - R1000 ✅ | 2019 - ?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »
I never look at perms, but having read that and looked, I see 22 pages. I don't know it's 22 for me and 36 for someone else. Screen size?

I see 1 page with a filterable and pageable list of rides.
This is normal practice for displaying data on a web page.
What isn't normal practice is preventing people from selecting how many they want to see on each data page.

The only problem I see is that the Postcode and distance from doesn't work just now, and erm... if i was travelling down to say Tewksbury for some reason and decided I'd like to do a 200 while I was down there, I'd struggle to guess the post code...
But then I'd use Phil W's map for that sort of searching anyway.

edit: also thinking I don't know how far JoG is, but it's further away from me than a fair chunk of England, but the region based searching was rather handy (I'd always use "North" to get the events in the areas I'm willing to travel without a good USP, which is anywhere from the north coast down into Lancs and Yorks.)

Only had a quick skim but the site design looks decent and in fitting with current design practices.
It's the sort of thing I'd expect my front end developer colleagues to knock up while I deliberately stretch out the back end developments to avoid having to cry over CSS  :sick:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2018, 02:11:54 pm »
Distance, AAA and PayPal are all visible on the old site.
Not immediately. For instance the first event I see is:
Fri 23 Nov 2018
300kmMoonrakers & Sunseekers from Easton, Bristol
on the old site, but:
Fri 23 Nov 2018   Easton, Bristol   300km (306km)   Moonrakers & Sunseekers   2300m   0   22:00   £13.50   Will Pomeroy   
on the new site.

You're confusing the front page on the old site with the Calendar page.  The Calendar page is one click away on both sites and contains comparable amounts of information on both sites.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 02:17:42 pm »
My first reaction when I saw it was "Looks like something someone with the right knowledge could bash out with Wordpress in about a month", but that's easy for me to say - I don't know what other infrastructure is in place, ready to make backend connections.

The more interesting thing to come from the presentation at the Reunion was the following exchange:

Question from the floor:  "So - after two years and £150k, we have a new UI that addresses none of the current urgent issues with AUKWEB?"
Answer from the board: "Yes."

::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 02:29:12 pm »
Distance, AAA and PayPal are all visible on the old site.
Not immediately. For instance the first event I see is:
Fri 23 Nov 2018
300kmMoonrakers & Sunseekers from Easton, Bristol
on the old site, but:
Fri 23 Nov 2018   Easton, Bristol   300km (306km)   Moonrakers & Sunseekers   2300m   0   22:00   £13.50   Will Pomeroy   
on the new site.

You're confusing the front page on the old site with the Calendar page.  The Calendar page is one click away on both sites and contains comparable amounts of information on both sites.
Ah, I was and it does. Why there are events listed in two places on one site I don't know. I also note that "Choose a ride" on the new site is somewhat newby-unintuitive in that it requires yet another, not particularly obvious, click to discover the difference between all these types of rides.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 02:32:32 pm »
Having now looked at the site on my desktop browser, I think it looks mostly OK. The image+slogan on the front page looks like one of those fatuous inspirational quote things posted by divs on facebook, but I don't really have a problem with that.

As others have noted, the limited number of results listed on the calendar page is a minor gripe - the optimum would be letting the user choose how many results are displayed (as per most shopping sites these days).

When I first looked at it on my phone yesterday evening, my first thought was that the calendar listing format is not optimised for small screen viewing - it needs to be more condensed. As it is, browsing through the list requires an awful lot of scrolling. Otherwise, it seems to function well.

The current lack of the 'My calendar' page is mildly irksome, but I guess that will be addressed in time.

Only other gripe is that clicking on an event on the calendar opens the detail page in a new tab. I know how to use my browser's back button, thank you very much.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 02:37:54 pm »
The addition of up-coming calendar headline info straight onto the front page of Aukweb was as a result of much pressure campaigning helpful suggestions on this very forum, and when it was done it was well received here as a clear improvement over a static logo-and-statement-and-sidebar type front page.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

arkle

• Mr Full Value...
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 02:49:05 pm »
My first reaction when I saw it was "Looks like something someone with the right knowledge could bash out with Wordpress in about a month", but that's easy for me to say - I don't know what other infrastructure is in place, ready to make backend connections.

More or less what I thought. Compare and contrast with the (admittedly simpler) website of Audax Ireland.