Author Topic: Dangleway ride - Ideas for a riverside pootle?  (Read 832 times)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Dangleway ride - Ideas for a riverside pootle?
« on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:26 pm »
Noting:

The Emirates Line is superb if you are cycle-bound on a riverside pootle.
Board it with a bike and you get an entire gondola to yourself.
Because risk.
Unfortunately, much as I use it regularly, I don't think that there are sufficient 'cycle-bound on a riverside pootle' contenders to make it anywhere near cost effective.
Ultimately, as you say, neither of its destination points are really destinations.

And inspired by:

I really ought to get round to riding the Dangleway before someone sees sense and closes it.
You should.
Its ~ 10% (with an Oyster Card - I'm happy to lend you one) of the cost of walking over the roof of The Dome (showing my age here by calling it that) and a couple of hundred feet higher.
Win Win.
ETA: Make a plan. Come down one weekend, and we'll go for a ride along the river.
ETFA: Others most welcome.

I think we should make this a thing.  Who's interested in a ride that takes in Nowhere and Nearly Nowhere?  For sheer novelty value, and Dangleway opening hours compatibility, this one's going to be during the hours of daylight.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Re: Dangleway ride - Ideas for a riverside pootle?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:24:56 pm »
Well, I've never actually dangled, so I really ought to, it's up the road from me, too.

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:18 pm »
Oh yes. Trinity Buoy Wharf is nearby, with never ending, never repeating music, a tide powered bell and Fatboys diner, which, last time I went, had raised its game. It also has a machine for making nekkid ladies.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:53:11 pm »
There's a planned cyclechat sunday ride to take in the new Ferry's when they come on-line as well post 1st Jan... perhaps combine the two crossings?
Regards,

Jason

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 08:02:55 am »
I could come and see you lot dangelding as I doughty that the trice will dangel   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 08:43:52 am »
Those plans almost look like a Thames Path Meander...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 09:22:21 am »
I could come and see you lot dangelding as I doughty that the trice will dangel   :)
Jurek says cyclists get a whole gondola to themselves and their cycle, so I don't see why the Trice shouldn't dangle too. But by the same token, the actual dangling is presumably going to be somewhat unsociable and time consuming.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 09:25:14 am »
Jurek says cyclists get a whole gondola to themselves and their cycle, so I don't see why the Trice shouldn't dangle too. But by the same token, the actual dangling is presumably going to be somewhat unsociable and time consuming.

It's a size thing. The trike may be bigger than the gondola, which will cause logistical difficulties.  When I crossed using it, I didn't get a gondola to my self, I had to share with another cyclist, the dapper and stylish Topcat1 off of Cyclechat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 09:49:40 am »
I've been on this thing 3 or 4 times with a bike - last time we had 2 or bikes all in the same gondola (the seats tip up IIRC to make more space) - the downside is where you start/finish as they are not very inspiring.

Bill Carnaby's London Sightseer Audax has used/does use the airline as an alternative to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

Rob

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »
Prospective PHDs need not apply.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 10:49:55 pm »
I've done this a few times and would do so happily again

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 10:56:59 pm »
You can combine it with the other river crossings, the Thames Path, the Greenway and the Olympic Park:
https://www.strava.com/activities/125005636

Or a simpler version since the Woolwich Ferry is shut:
https://www.strava.com/activities/713754543

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 11:02:36 pm »
There's a planned cyclechat sunday ride to take in the new Ferry's when they come on-line as well post 1st Jan... perhaps combine the two crossings?

Liking the sound of this...  Can't see the relevant thread on CycleChat?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 01:40:39 am »
I think it's in the pinned SLR thread
Regards,

Jason

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »

It's a size thing. The trike may be bigger than the gondola, which will cause logistical difficulties.  When I crossed using it, I didn't get a gondola to my self, I had to share with another cyclist, the dapper and stylish Topcat1 off of Cyclechat.

Max size they'll allow for a mobility device is 700mm x 1300mm

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »
Typical.  ICE Adventure is a tyre-dependent smidgen over 800mm wide, which makes it incompatible with most doorways.  (And more that 1600 long, but that can be reduced by folding.)

I'm sure it would fit (if a DF bike will go, you can probably get it in sideways), but that doesn't mean they'll let it on.