Author Topic: lost velodromes  (Read 733 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
lost velodromes
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:39 pm »
Walking past Grangemouth stadium this evening, I saw what seemed to be a banked oval around the outside of the running track.

Aha, I said to myself, velodrome. But on closer inspection through the gate, the track seems not to be continuous.

What other regional velodromes are we missing ?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: lost velodromes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:25:13 pm »
Saffon Lane, Leicester - demolished as late as 2008  :(

I've raced with the BHPC on it.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:37:47 pm »
Nottingham, Cannock, Coventry ( The Butts), Birmingham Salford Park ( promised a replacement, but never happened, even for the Commonwealth Games).

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:59:25 pm »
Newport Athletic Club, Clairville Stadium in Middlesbrough, Paddingtom Recreation Ground, Fallowfield in Manchester, and Kirkby in Liverpool.

There were rumours that there had been a track in Lingdale in North Yorkshire, but my Dad (who died in 2010) was never able to find any definite information.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:12:57 pm »
The only one I could think of is Meadowbank. But I found this list - there is one in Grangemouth on there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cycling_tracks_and_velodromes#Velodromes_no_longer_in_use

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:16:28 pm »

There were rumours that there had been a track in Lingdale in North Yorkshire, but my Dad (who died in 2010) was never able to find any definite information.

There's a bit of information here: http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/06/12/lingdale-cycling-memorial/

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 11:13:08 pm »
There was cycle racing in Crystal Palace Park. Not sure if it was a velodrome or rather more multi purpose.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 11:46:21 pm »
Putney Velodrome was the first concrete track in England. Disappeared in about 1905 I believe.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 01:16:47 am »
I think there was a cycle racing track (not a velodrome) at the Welsh Harp, near here.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 06:02:04 am »
Cycle racing still takes place in Crystal Palace Park, not so much a velodrome as part of the old motor racing circuit.
Didn't Paddington have a wooden-boarded velodrome at one time?

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 07:06:36 am »
Wickstead Park, Kettering is no more. I last rode on it in 1977, not an official race as it was no longer in use but a few friends and I bunked off school for the afternoon and played at track racing. I remember having to hitch a ride back to Northampton on the back of a truck because I broke a crank that afternoon.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:15 am »
Swindon has one.  Sort of.  There's a cycle speedway track at The Oasis.
Never tell me the odds.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:55 am »
This one's lost to the start of PBP next year:

I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 08:20:05 am »
A 1911 OS map shows a "Cycle Track" around the edge of Gloucestershire County cricket ground.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 11:55:38 am »
The 1922 World track championships were held on the New Brighton Tower track on the Wirral.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/worlds-cycling-championships

The Tower Athletics grounds disappeared sometime after WW2.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »

There's a bit of information here: http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/06/12/lingdale-cycling-memorial/

Thanks. I've found it on a satellite photograph; there's a football pitch on the infield, and it looks like there is still a track/path round it.