Author Topic: Preppers and prepping tendencies  (Read 9551 times)

Re: Preppers and prepping tendencies
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2019, 05:51:23 pm »
Aldi have 1Kg tubs of Meridian crunchy peanut butter for £4.99.  Keeps for ages & a good source of calories.   I'm going to shove it in the loft so I don't eat it all before TEOTWAWKI.

https://www.trueprepper.com/peanut-butter-survival-food/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2019, 05:52:37 pm »
Suggest you shove it in something meece-proof.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:32 pm »
Aldi have 1Kg tubs of Meridian crunchy peanut butter for £4.99.  Keeps for ages & a good source of calories.   I'm going to shove it in the loft so I don't eat it all before TEOTWAWKI.

https://www.trueprepper.com/peanut-butter-survival-food/
Find something audaxer-proof.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2019, 06:08:40 pm »
I shall be popping down to Clas Ohlson tomorrow & buying some more plastic storage boxes in their closing down sale.   :(

Edit:  4 x 40L plastic storage boxes with lids for £14.  Better quality than the ones Tesco are selling as well.    They are doing 50% discount on lots of stuff & sadly it was the busiest I've ever seen the place.

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2019, 01:07:33 pm »
https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

The Mormon Survival Guide.    Does not include instructions for building an interstellar ship to get the hell away from disaster.*

*Expanse reference.

« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2020, 05:19:49 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/zombie-apocalypse-coronavirus-stockpilers-emergency-food

A crisis is a business opportunity.  I read last week about a Hong Kong supermarket being raided for toilet paper.  I wish I’d bought a few crates of surgical masks last year to flog on Ebay :-)

« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:10 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/zombie-apocalypse-coronavirus-stockpilers-emergency-food

A crisis is a business opportunity.  I read last week about a Hong Kong supermarket being raided for toilet paper.  I wish I’d bought a few crates of surgical masks last year to flog on Ebay :-)
Toilet paper?  Nick the bulk rolls from work or do the Calcutta rinse  :D
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2020, 09:37:55 pm »
https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

The Mormon Survival Guide.    Does not include instructions for building an interstellar ship to get the hell away from disaster.*

*Expanse reference.

That is an eye opener. I had no idea that the Mormons are required to keep a year's worth of supplies by their church. I also had no idea they could spin out 20 pages of bible references to prove the need for it.  :o  ???
The Catholic church is a more succinct. "The Pope said so" would cover it.

So, apart from learning how to fish I think I could manage a 96 day survival pack. But what will MI6 think when they see that lot on my internet history?

Edit: after reading some more... These guys REALLY mean it!
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2020, 07:52:52 am »

“If you think about what’s in your kitchen cupboard today,” he says, “it’s a few tins of beans, some manky rice. You might be able to cobble together food for a few days."

Is this true? Do people really not usually have enough food to last a whole week and "just nip in the car, pop to the supermarket," several times a week?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2020, 01:38:53 pm »
Is this true? Do people really not usually have enough food to last a whole week

I think it depends on whether you're inclined toward actual cooking in the first place, and whether you have more than one cupboard and half a shelf in the freezer for storing all your stuff.  It's also easy to buy food one meal at a time when your daily commute involves walking past suitable shops.

I've always been inclined to keep at least a couple of weeks worth of food, bogroll and medication around, in case I get ill.  The only thing worse than having to go out in the cold and do things when you've got a nasty chest infection is being insufficiently prepared for a bout of D&V.   :hand:
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2020, 02:21:32 pm »
I thought I was behind one such in the queueueueue at Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles yesterday.  Huge bags of cheapo frozen chops, enormous piles of tinned fish, gallons of milk and a sack of sugar bigger than my head.  Until I saw the logo on her sweatshirt.  Vetinary service ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2020, 02:32:23 pm »
I thought I was behind one such in the queueueueue at Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles yesterday.  Huge bags of cheapo frozen chops, enormous piles of tinned fish, gallons of milk and a sack of sugar bigger than my head.  Until I saw the logo on her sweatshirt.  Vetinary service ;D

I dunno, that seems like a cunning way of getting the stockpiling done without spooking the sheeple.  :demon:
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.
And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2020, 02:33:35 pm »
Is this true? Do people really not usually have enough food to last a whole week and "just nip in the car, pop to the supermarket," several times a week?

Two different things.

I go to the local supermarket 6 or 7 times a week. We don't really do a "big shop" and tend to just buy stuff for the next day or so each time we pass it (and one of us passes it at least twice a day on the school run or on the way to work - on foot I may add). Every couple of months we'll either do a big shop in the car (or by delivery) but this is generally for heavy items that we don't want to have to lug home by hand, stuff like washing powder, etc. I like the spontaneity of cooking rather than planning things a week in advance.

But I could probably feed all 3 of us for a good 3-4 weeks with what's in the fridge/freezer and cupboards if necessary.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."