Author Topic: Gatwick drones -what utter stupidity and selfishness  (Read 15178 times)

Panoramix

• 50 61 6E 6F 72 61 6D 69 78
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Gatwick drones -what utter stupidity and selfishness
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2020, 01:40:07 pm »
I wouldn't call myself an experienced modeller but I've flown a small model aircraft home built out of foam on the cheap, I found it fun to grok the physics to make it flyable and I've flown it within the law (I think, and this was 8 years ago so before the media realised model aircraft existed and parliaments felt compelled to legislate!). I don't understand why model fliers are vilified like this, sure there are idiots who need to be dealt with but most guys just want to spend some time tinkering. AFAIK no serious accident has happened yet. If the same standard of precaution was applied on the road, cars would be forbidden on roads to protect cyclists, and to follow the logic that the skies belong exclusively to aircraft, birds should also be made extinct!
Chief cat entertainer.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2020, 05:22:10 pm »
I get the feeling (and it's nothing more scientific than that) that drones started to be A Menace at the point that they became equipped with cameras. Until then they were a harmless pastime for young geeks and harmless old buffers.

Now they're for Perverts and Invaders of Your Privacy and therefore fair game for the red tops who can proclaim that Drones are used to fly HD cameras over children and Something Must Be Done.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2020, 06:03:37 pm »
Nahh, it's because they became cheap enough for oiks to muck about with.  Nobody cared when it was just commercial operators and beardies in their sheds.

Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #328 on: June 29, 2020, 06:22:24 pm »
(..........and this was 8 years ago so before the media realised model aircraft existed and parliaments felt compelled to legislate!). I don't understand why model fliers are vilified like this, sure there are idiots who need to be dealt with but most guys just want to spend some time tinkering. AFAIK no serious accident has happened yet.

Exactly.  The problem was that our legislator 'experts' could not find a way of differentiating multirotor flying machines carrying cameras, from fixed wing or single (or maybe a twin) rotary wing models that do nothing other than challenge the building and flying skills of enthusiasts.  That's what they are paid to do, be creative, find ways of defining offences.

Typical fecking legislators, impact everyone, even the legit guys who've been quietly and safely minding their own business for decades, then you can be sure that you won't get the real villains. 

Bitter, moi?  Nah.  F*ck off HMG, CAA, EASA, etc.

« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2020, 06:26:04 pm »
What difference did the regs make to existing RC model flyers ?
Rust never sleeps

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2020, 06:40:29 pm »
What difference did the regs make to existing RC model flyers ?
In brief:
Further restrictions on max. altitude, weight as well as flight locations.
Additional permits/certificates (which have to be paid for) required.

More (accurate) info. here https://rcc.bmfa.uk  & https://rcc.bmfa.uk/know-the-law

The 400'  max altitude* is a bit of a bugger even for us Free Flight types.  A model without a dethermaliser (DT) can easily go well over 400' if it catches a strong thermal. 

*That's 400' above the head of the remote operator.  Allows for slope soaring.  Subject to AUW of 7Kg and have to be a member of BMFA, SMAE & one or two other model flying orgs.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2020, 10:46:19 pm »
Many years ago, as a yoof,  at a kite festival on Blackheath, I was flying a train of five fairly small (~1m wingspan) delta kites.
The line was marked. I could tell that I had nearly 2km of line in the air. You couldn't see the top kite.
I was approached by a gentleman in a suit.
'How high are you flying those kites?'
I shrugged.
'Im from the CAA and I'm going to have to ask you to bring them down.'
It took a considerable amount of time to reel them in.