Author Topic: Recorder music  (Read 2696 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: Recorder music
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 07:13:42 pm »
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 10:02:57 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0Yh3wg3js&ab_channel=RiqueBorges

Bach solo string pieces arranged for recorder. Gorgeous...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:14 am »

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 10:34:27 am »
Much woe in the 'Bagger household yesterday: my precious olivewood alto recorder, as purchased in late August, has developed a crack. It seems that this is an occasional problem - and writes off a recorder. It still makes a lovely sound, but...

It's to do with the "block" (it's called a blockflute for a reason), which is usually cedar, expanding at a different rate from the surrounding wood when the condensation from your breath works its way into the wood grain, in this case olive. You have to play recorders in - no more than 15 minutes' use per day for the first 6 weeks or so. It's under a 3 year guarantee.

I have other alto recorders to play, but this is by far the best. I'm about to take it to the sorting office.

I'm clearly going to have to buy at least 3 really good alto recorders so that I can play for 2 hours per day... ;)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 11:08:48 am »
I'm clearly going to have to buy at least 3 really good alto recorders so that I can play for 2 hours per day... ;)
Oh dear! What a shame.

There is no escape from GAS!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 10:27:22 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 11:10:29 pm »
Much woe in the 'Bagger household yesterday: my precious olivewood alto recorder, as purchased in late August, has developed a crack. It seems that this is an occasional problem - and writes off a recorder. It still makes a lovely sound, but...

It's to do with the "block" (it's called a blockflute for a reason), which is usually cedar, expanding at a different rate from the surrounding wood when the condensation from your breath works its way into the wood grain, in this case olive. You have to play recorders in - no more than 15 minutes' use per day for the first 6 weeks or so. It's under a 3 year guarantee.

I have other alto recorders to play, but this is by far the best. I'm about to take it to the sorting office.

Really sorry to see this, Wow!

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 11:21:49 pm »
The Early Music Shop told me they were to send out a replacement today. Should arrive Monday.

I have 3 or 4 other alto recorders to play: my old Dolmetsch plastic which I hardly play now (funnily enough, my pal Panny ha wat appears to be an identical recorder but badged EMI), Jan has a Moeck in pear wood, I have a Mollenhauer with a plastic head joint and pear body, and also a very nice recorder hand-made in resin from Vincent Bernolin, France. The one drawback with the resin recorder is that you have to be careful it doesn't get too condensationy. The advantage is that there's no limit to the amount of time you can play it. Wooden recorders absorb quite a bit of moisture, especially when new, and the wood expands. That is why you have to limit them to about 15 minutes a day for the first month or so, and then gradually build up to about an hour a day. Condensation makes it very hard to reach the high notes reliably. It's the harsh sounds which come with that that put the Rogerzillas of this world off soprano (descant) recorders. They are already pretty shrill when they are played well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVj5ta6VFdE&feature=push-sd&attr_tag=eo_1JnrI_u6N8_TY%3A6&ab_channel=JamesHowardYoung

Here's some more cleverness from James Howard Young.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 01:19:52 pm »
I am finding that I am increasingly walking around with the head joint of a recorder in my shirt pocket, keeping it warm in case I need a quick blow...

For the uninitiated, warming your recorder before playing it reduces condensation, and condensation in the wind canal is the biggest cause of squeaky and duff notes.

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 01:57:46 pm »
When I was a student and going to church services in a cold, largely empty, Victorian church, one buxom recorder players would keep hers in her cleavage. This was not conducive to prayerful thoughts.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 02:59:59 pm »
When I was a student and going to church services in a cold, largely empty, Victorian church, one buxom recorder players would keep hers in her cleavage. This was not conducive to prayerful thoughts.

Dear Lord, in your infinite wisdom and mercy, next time round, may I come back as a recorder?

See also "I think that I should rather like
To be the saddle of a bike."

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2020, 08:13:30 pm »
https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1338932563218477057?s=20

I saw this Tweet* & thought of Wowbagger.....  ;)

*Hat tip to quixoticgeek who retweeted it.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark