Author Topic: Hiplok lite - sold secure bronze wearable lock for £40 (£35 if you deliveroo)  (Read 1142 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Been using this since September when I began doing deliveroo riding. Sometimes it's unavoidable that you're going to have to leave the bike for more than a minute somewhere shifty, so I picked this up as a middle ground between cafe lock and my more robust Krypton evolution.

It's very comfortable to wear even when hauling pizzas and curry. I've got the knack of doing it shut and open very swiftly with the aid of a ski pass type retractable lanyard Gizmo around my neck (tucked down my jersey) so I can have the bike safely secured in around 10 seconds with some practice.

Clearly it's not going to stop a hardened thief with an angle grinder but bronze is rated against opportunist tea leafs which fits my requirement (I'd be upset if the work bike got pinched but could live with it).

I can recommend it for deliveroo type riding (start-stop) and maybe touring (it is convenient and light, and you could stow it on the bike). But you want something more robust for most eventualities, though it makes for a good secondary wheel lock.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Kim

• Timelord
What puts me off this sort of thing is what happens if you land on it in a fall.  Still, its better than having a D-lock on your belt, and I can see how the speed is advantageous for deliveries.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

bludger

I mean that is definitely a sub-ideal outcome, though to be honest doing deliveroo I'm scarcely ever going much faster than 20km/h. I don't know what odds it'd make if you wore it strapped diagonally instead of around the waist.

One advantage of the design is you could easily wrap it around a bag for touring, saving luggage space. Not fort knox by any means but certainly better than a cable lock (I did once take my kryptonite on tour which is a mistake I shan't be repeating).

Kim

• Timelord
Yeah, I accept I'm excessively paranoid about that sort of thing.  I tripped over at a brisk walk and landed on a screwdriver in my pocket once (fortunately not the stabby end!), and in the subsequent period of hobbling on a badly bruised hip vowed never again...

I'm using a Bordo Lite for touring - same general principle of being a step up - if only in deterrent value - from a cable lock, without the weight of a proper lock.  That one's better for mounting on the bike (it folds up and slots into a neat dedicated holder), but that adds a surprising amount of extra faff when you come to use it, so not ideal for frequent stops.  Space saving aside, carrying your lock in your luggage can be a pain if you're trying to keep the contents of the luggage dry.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
A lock round your waist just doesn't look at all comfortable for touring, to me. As for access to a lock and dryness of pannier contents, I generally keep my lock in a pannier external pocket (Super C panniers) when touring.
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

bludger

I wouldn't stick it around the waist for touring, I'd wrap it around the handlebar bag. Never had panniers personally just used 'bikepacking' stuff.