Author Topic: Infinity Saddle for Audax  (Read 704 times)

Infinity Saddle for Audax
« on: January 07, 2019, 02:24:16 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of the Infinity Saddle which was mentioned very briefly in Arrivee a couple of issues ago?

Apparently they dont suit everyone, but why?

Re: Infinity Saddle for Audax
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
I am not sure I buy into the "less is more" concept of these saddles.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:11 pm »
Your dimensions need to, pardon the pun, sit in quite a narrow window, otherwise your sitbones will be pressing against the outer rails.

I have one, haven't ridden more than 130k (in one go) on it yet. I'm on the wide side (I came from a Brooks Cambium C17) and just about fit it. It feels very weird to start with, but becomes akin to a well worn-in leather saddle quite quickly. (I'm not sure if that means 'as good', yet though). The most noticeable thing for me, is with days of consecutive riding, that I don't get that ouchy tenderness on my sit bones when you first plonk back onto the saddle. I am of the boney-arsed flavor.

The jury is still out for me, but it's decent enough that i intend on running it all year.

DaT

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 04:40:50 pm »
I'm always trying to find a better saddle. Quite expensive at £300+
http://www.ten-point.co.uk/infinity-saddles/

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:46:06 pm »
I've got one. Tried it on a 200k brevet and a couple of shorter rides. Feels a bit weird - not painfully uncomfortable but I found the pressure on the glutes and hamstrings quite unpleasant and fatiguing after a while. I've gone back to my very well worn B17, rode a 200k permanent on it last week and felt more comfortable.

It may work better for lighter riders - I'm 93kg

I'll probably put it up for sale at some point but I'm waiting to hear from a local rider first who expressed interest in trying it.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:30:30 pm »
The website quoted above suggests you can hire them to rest out...
Turn, turn, turn again

Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:35:54 pm »
The latest models have been available on the US website since December with a $25 discount code available. Limited details on what the improvements might be.

http://infinitybikeseat.com/shop/

Ten Point are not yet advertising the latest models.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 09:49:06 pm »
Hand wrapped in leather - does that mean they need some care like a leather saddle?
Regards,

Jason

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:44 pm »
The infinity saddle got a brief write-up in the last but one (Autumn, I think) Arrivee. (Not available on line yet.)
I bought one about 6 months ago. It is easily as comfortable as my well worn in B17 for up to 100km. Not had the opportunity to use it on a longer ride yet - will be doing so this year.
I am 6'3", broad and on the heavy side - it seems to fit me OK.
The leather covering is very nice - I will be using proofhide on it every few months or so just because... :)

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:58 am »
I should mention, the curious thing with the infinity is that I find it favours a lesser-padded bibshort.

For years, i've been going thicker with the pad (Lusso became my favourite) to get some relief, but my old worn out Castelli bibs seems to work a treat with it. The Lusso's end up rubbing me on my inner thigh.

« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:35:00 am »
Used to have a fizik which was great upto about400km and then numbness started.
I bought an infinity and have been delighted with it. Maximum is 700k with no problems.

I do agree about needing less padding.

If anybody is selling I would be interested for my other bike.

« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:15:43 pm »
Curious about the Infinity, I emailed Ten-Point about the hire scheme and they replied:

"We offer a hire service for 7 days. (£55 including delivery). You pay the complete price for the saddle (£295) by PayPal (Payment to 10pt @ ten-point.co.uk) or online banking and then return the saddle in the same condition.  We will then refund the difference (£240)."