Author Topic: North Riding 300 : 9pm 8/3/19  (Read 856 times)

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
North Riding 300 : 9pm 8/3/19
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:26 am »
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-203/

This one is interesting me: 300km lap of the Yorkshire Moors (not a PBP qualifier). Starts on a Friday night and follows some of the roads you might not normally ride in daylight. I wonder how much it has been influenced by the VeloViewer Explorer game.

I'm thinking of doing this - I imagine weather will play a significant role.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: North Riding 300 : 9pm 8/3/19
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:06 am »
I have entered.. Fun for a fiver Darlington, Whitby, Scarborough = FNRTTC++. 
Deans calendar comment:
The point of overnight riding, surely, is the opportunity to ride along roads that you wouldn't ride in the daytime. You can use roads that are horrible in the day, but deserted at night, and have the slightly transgressive feeling that you're doing something you probably shouldn't do (like going to the pictures in the daytime, and coming outside when it's still light). Note: not a PBP qualifier.
The  first 150K is lumpy, then flat n' fast

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:46:21 am »
Having found out I can't ride PBP I'm looking at alternatives for an SR this year - and this one looks interesting.

Daft me likes night rides.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:59 am »
Can I start at Nunthorpe?  ;D

Interested!

ETA: Ah bugger - just realised it clashes with a 200km qualifier on the Saturday....
Regards,

Jason

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:46:41 am »
Can I start at Nunthorpe Guisboro?  ;D

;D
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:04:32 pm »
It looks great!  All my favourite local roads and I can get to the start after work on Friday  :thumbsup:

Oh wait ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:10:27 pm »

;D

That's 2 votes for alternative starting locations  :thumbsup: LOL

I'd expect at least 3 ft of snow !  :facepalm:
Regards,

Jason

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 04:01:35 pm »

;D

No, but you can get Chris to stamp your card if you like ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:11:54 pm »
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-203/

This one is interesting me: 300km lap of the Yorkshire Moors (not a PBP qualifier). Starts on a Friday night and follows some of the roads you might not normally ride in daylight. I wonder how much it has been influenced by the VeloViewer Explorer game.

I'm thinking of doing this - I imagine weather will play a significant role.

It has nowt to do with explorer tiles - just a simple route with facilities. And the Moors Roads at night are awesome.

The only hilly bit is Guisborough to Driffield - it's mostly quite steady climbing, but Birk Brow and Staxton Brow ought to be fun.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:34:27 pm »
As an exiled Darlingtonian now living down south this one appeals...even passes through the village where I grew up.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »
As Network Rail seem to have decided to allow trains to operate on the Saturday afternoon/evening I'm in. I wasn't keen on the idea of an extra 100km ECE on top of the 300 to get home to York!
(Unless Deano comes round to the idea of staggered starts around the course, in which case can I put in for a 16:30 start from Bilbrough Top** and I'll meet you in Darlo?  ;) )

**Approx 4km from my front door!  :facepalm:
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional Circuit Commissaire
British Cycling Ride Leader

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 05:50:28 pm »
As Network Rail seem to have decided to allow trains to operate on the Saturday afternoon/evening I'm in. I wasn't keen on the idea of an extra 100km ECE on top of the 300 to get home to York!
(Unless Deano comes round to the idea of staggered starts around the course, in which case can I put in for a 16:30 start from Bilbrough Top** and I'll meet you in Darlo?  ;) )

Dunno what you're complaining about - think of all the friends you can make by offering sofa space for a nap!

I'm not against parallel starts - but it'd be a nightmare to coordinate 4 different start locations (so far - any bids for Driffield?) and having to set up four different events :)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:07:35 pm »

Dunno what you're complaining about - think of all the friends you can make by offering sofa space for a nap!

The chances of anyone being slow enough to stay with me for 200km without falling off/asleep is fairly minimal, but don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to have a cheeky kip/bit of snap at home!  :D Probably won't, just in case I get comfy and don't go back out!

Mind you, at that time of a morning they'll be fighting the mother for sleeping on the sofa space.  ::-)

I'm not against parallel starts - but it'd be a nightmare to coordinate 4 different start locations (so far - any bids for Driffield?) and having to set up four different events :-)

It was, as you are no doubt fully aware, a bit tongue-in-cheek in the light of the other requests!  ;) I will be purchasing tickets just as soon as the TPE phone app allows me to!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional Circuit Commissaire
British Cycling Ride Leader

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:06 pm »
Righto. I'm in. Tickets booked for train along with bike reservations.
I hope we have a mild spell.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 09:14:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:56 pm »
As an exiled Darlingtonian now living down south this one appeals...even passes through the village where I grew up.

Hurworth?

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:41 am »
Correct  :)

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 09:36:02 pm »
I'm entered - its the chance to have a look at potential roads for All Points North.