Author Topic: "Summer" touring tyres.  (Read 1646 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: "Summer" touring tyres.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 06:02:13 am »
Planet X are selling the excellent Vittoria G+ Revolution for £8 right now.

I've had these tyres on my deliveroo bike since last March. Done approx 5000 km on them and not one visit from the fairy.

Sizes 28-42mm https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

No brainer! I'm getting a few pairs as a stockpile...
I dd consider those, but put off by the weight of them, even heavier than marathon greenguard!

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:13 am »
Planet X are selling the excellent Vittoria G+ Revolution for £8 right now.

I've had these tyres on my deliveroo bike since last March. Done approx 5000 km on them and not one visit from the fairy.

Sizes 28-42mm https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

No brainer! I'm getting a few pairs as a stockpile...

Out of interest, how is the ride quality on these? I find my Marathon shod Croix de Fer feels basically unstoppable, but the ride is a bit harsh.

Tks

A

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 07:24:20 am »
I think it's terrific. Presumably even better in the wider versions.
Bikepacking bargain basement: reviews of high value kit great for the tourer, bikepacker and randonneur on a budget

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109048.msg2312359#msg2312359

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 07:41:32 am »
Enjoy your new tyres Brian! Am sure you will and you got a bargain there to boot!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

BrianI

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »
Lol, still not fitted or tried them yet, still to cold and icy to get out cycling.  :-[

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 04:05:29 pm »
Lol, still not fitted or tried them yet, still to cold and icy to get out cycling.  :-[

I'm still riding my Hewitt Cheviot on my 32mm Supremes almost every day, though getting home tonight might get interesting...
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 06:33:53 pm »

these vittorias have one major snag; if you ride where there are flints, they get stuck in the tread grooves. After this happens you are dependant on the puncture-resistance of the tyre.   Where I am, quite a few riders have ditched tyres with this kind of tread (but not necessarily the same carcass) after just a few hundred (puncture-infested) miles. Even if you don't get punctures, the sound of myriad little stones trapped in the tyres can drive you absolutely crackers.

cheers

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 09:37:12 pm »
My trailer tyres are of that sort of pattern, and do seem remarkably efficient at collecting small stones etc from the gutter or middle of the road where they inevitably end up.  They've never actually punctured, but I put that down to relatively few miles and not bearing a lot of weight.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

BrianI

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 04:23:33 pm »
First ride with the 32mm Marathon Supreme today. A mere 2.4km each way commute to work.
Certainly plusher compared to the old Marathon greenguard.   :thumbsup: