Author Topic: Rando Imperator  (Read 936 times)

whosatthewheel

Rando Imperator
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:09:38 am »
Looks amazing, for those lucky enough to be able to do it... sadly I can't, so it's Brevet Cymru for me

https://witoor.com/en/rando-imperator/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Rando Imperator
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:09:00 am »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:31:22 am »
15 weeks away.

Looking forward to it.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
A superb ride, did it twice.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 06:55:02 pm »
I shall enter this. This looks fun.

For those that have done it before -
Is is worth just taking the accommodation options laid on with the event? Or are there plentiful choices?
What did you submit by way of a 'Medical Certificate'?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:16:26 pm »
Is is worth just taking the accommodation options laid on with the event? Or are there plentiful choices?
There's always booking.com ;D But I used and will use the hotels in M√ľnich and Ferrara that are offered by the organizers, bringing a bivvy for a nap somewhere around the 350km mark.

I did provide a boiler plate certificate (in English) that I found on the internet. In the Netherlands no GP will sign such a thing (fair enough, how would they know?), but I had done a VO2Max test / sports test just six months prior and that doctor was willing to sign the form.

For the organiser it's just CYA, I intend to send the same certificate again, with the date removed (as it's two years old now) and don't expect any issues.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:11:06 pm »
Members of foreign sports organisations usually don't have to provide the certificate.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:32:17 am »
Members of foreign sports organisations usually don't have to provide the certificate.

False... the Italian law demands a medical certificate irrespective of nationality. This is for pretty much any cycling event, irrespective of distance, speed or nature of the event. No certificate means that you are riding without an insurance, which might put the organiser at risk of a lawsuit, should anything happen.

You can produce a fake, which at least will have the courtesy of shifting the liability onto yourself

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 09:51:27 am »

False... the Italian law demands a medical certificate irrespective of nationality. This is for pretty much any cycling event, irrespective of distance, speed or nature of the event. No certificate means that you are riding without an insurance, which might put the organiser at risk of a lawsuit, should anything happen.

You can produce a fake, which at least will have the courtesy of shifting the liability onto yourself

I didn't have to produce one last time, because I could produce a membeship card of a cycling association. The exact wording also indicated this last time.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:00:22 pm »

I didn't have to produce one last time, because I could produce a membeship card of a cycling association. The exact wording also indicated this last time.

Could it be that they think that if you are a member of another nations cycling organisation, it's that org's insurance that is covering you ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 12:10:39 pm »
Sadly, new rules apply in Italy starting this year. One major change is that for audaxes >= 600 km you now need a certificate issued in the last three months before the event, stating you're fit for the route of that specific audax. I'm talking about the first rows at page 55 of this document: https://amatoriale.federciclismo.it/it/document/norme-attuative-attivita-amatoriale-2019/858ba617-71be-481b-a440-cdc82c5ec9c9/
BTW just before that, some "kind words" for 70+ year old riders. Apparently, the section has been hastily added to a long document that sees minor changes every year. The Italian equivalent od Audax UK, ARI, politely took some distance from these new rules: https://www.audaxitalia.it/index.php?pg=news&obid=389

Rando Imperator is an exception among Italian Audaxes because its route is only suggested, while usually Italian audaxes have a mandatory route. The new rule's been written only considering what's usual, with no respect for what is unusual (...sigh...).

Now the question is: will this rule be enforced? I kindly suggest interested people to get in touch with the organizer.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 12:30:57 pm »
the law, that previously applied only to competitive events, has been extended to all events in 2015.
It might be that Audax got away for a while in view of small numbers and being essentially under the radar... AFAIK there is no exception and a BC membership or any other membership won't help

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
I shall enter this. This looks fun.

For those that have done it before -
We haven't done it before but are not bus-shelter/ bivvy types. We've booked their hotels for during and after.

Thanks frillipippi for the clarification on the medical certificate. I think we may need to find an amenable doc...
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:57 am »
HK and I have booked the before, during and after hotels. Still haven't worked out how we want to get there or back but we'll come up with something eventually.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:21 am »
I'm having a bit of trouble with the Endu website.  It keeps trying to process payment before i've finished filling it in, thus kicking me out and telling me my card is declined and not to try for another 2hrs.

Tried on multiple browsers.