Author Topic: Tobacco tins, Strepsils and similar  (Read 744 times)

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
Tobacco tins, Strepsils and similar
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:54 am »

My father or grandfather gave me these tobacco tins which I used for drill bits, fuses, a travelling sewing kit and so on. The Swan tin is quite something, with an embossed lid and still looks brand new.

I was thinking that there is something nostalgic about them, a reminder of packaging and a time gone by, that was until I saw tins of lozenges for sale in Lidl.

Do you have or remember anything like these?

offcumden

• Oh, no!
Re: Tobacco tins, Strepsils and similar
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:29:50 am »

Yes, lots, all inherited as were yours. But mine came with nuts. screws, drill bits etc. . .  which they still contain.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:31:21 am »
Parts of a puzzle I had as a child were kept in Golden Virginia tins. I have no idea where the tins originated as no one smoked in the family except my grandma who had hidden cigarettes. I don't remember her smoking at all, she did it in secret when she was with what my dad called her "loutish" friends - all elderly ladies who never left the house without hat and gloves and never used each other's first name. Mrs Norris, Mrs Devonish...
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:59 am »

Yes, lots, all inherited as were yours. But mine came with nuts. screws, drill bits etc. . .  which they still contain.
Likewise.
I have loads.
From my (engineer) grandfather, and (bodger) father.
Containing drill bits, end mills and various cutters.

ETA - That Strepsils tin (top left) is unacceptably out of line with the rest of the arrangement.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:08 am »
Not quite the same but I have a Dunlop "long cycle repair outfit". I'm not sure how old it is, maybe 1950s or 60s?, but it still contain its original patches, glue etc – all unused and now completely unusable, the patches are so dry one has snapped.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:30 am »
Bit of a theme here. I also have tins, from my father, containing screws etc..

Guy

• Left-Wing Moonbat Green NAZI
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 08:39:31 am »
I have a Strepsils tin which my Dad wrote "MILKO" on with a marker pen, which was use for powdered milk when we went on hostelling weekends when I was but a child. It is currently full of Presta valve dust caps. I also have two Hamlet cigar tins full of fossils and other interesting stones.
What duck?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 10:07:47 am »
I have memories of there being many of those exact same Golden Virginia tins in my house when I was a small. I can only assume they came from one of my grandfathers, both of whom died well before I was a thing.
In primary one we had a 'tin of words' we got sent home with to learn and my words were in one of those tins.
I was most upset when the teacher took my words away when it became apparent I could already read.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 10:39:11 am »
I recall (50+ years ago) some kind of boiled sweet coated in powdered sugar came in circular versions of those tins. Google suggests "Simkins Travel Sweets" (which still exist) might well be the things.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 10:53:35 am »
I still have the Megazone Lozenges tin I kept my Meccano nuts & bolts in, inside the Andy's Candys boiled-sweet tin I kept the rest of the small Meccano parts in. Just like this one:

It's amusing, in this the evening of English grammar, to see that they retained the apostrophe while forming an irregular plural of Candy.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:56:20 pm »
I don't have any.

I have memories of these tins' use as storage for wax crayons in infant school.

Infant school was a long time ago...

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 01:20:54 pm »
My Dad has/had one or more "Golden Virginia" tin(s) like the one bottom left.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 01:29:12 pm »
Loads of inherited [from my dad] "Erinmore Flake" tins, with the usual nuts and bolts.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 01:42:29 pm »
Loads of inherited [from my dad] "Erinmore Flake" tins, with the usual nuts and bolts.

One of my dad's favourites. When I started smoking a pipe I of course tried it, and was rather disappointed that it burnt a bit too hot for me.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 04:37:53 pm »
I used to have an Old Holborn tin from my Grandad, which I filled with an "emergency kit" for the inevitable zombie apocalypse/desert island stranding when on holiday in the Lake District
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 09:37:05 am »

Is that the same hypothesis as blank cassettes in the glove box...?

Meanwhile I wish I had pictures of my brother's gramophone needle boxes for this thread.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 11:01:42 am »
I have a few Golden Virginia ones and one Swan the latter has never been used

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:56 am »
Several gold block tins. Labelled M6, M8 etc...

My dad's garage had dozens of them. A fact not unrelated to his premature demise.

There's plain ones on amazon, which could be useful...   

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 11:48:03 am »
I recall (50+ years ago) some kind of boiled sweet coated in powdered sugar came in circular versions of those tins. Google suggests "Simkins Travel Sweets" (which still exist) might well be the things.

I always have these in the car for long journeys. Its a tradition picked up from my Grandad I think.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 12:06:45 pm »
My garage has quite a large number of tobacco tins. All full of things I can never remember. They were all courtesy of my Grandfather who smoked like a chimney. Still, he lived to be nearly 90 which just goes to show - smoking is actually good for you  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 12:17:58 pm »
^Yup!
It's a little known fact that Jesus smoked.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
Lobby Press at my Grandad's had the toys kept in old Pharmaceutical delivery tins and buckets.
I remember peeling open the lid of a bucket that probably once contained Laxitives to get the lego out.
Can't remember what was in the metal tins, possibly fake lego, counters for the board games and jigsaws.
Don't think any of that stuff was kept.

Considering this was when my gran was alive, and she died 30 years ago (I'd be 7) and most stuff was cleared out when grandad moved house shortly after, I'm surprised how well I remember that flat.

I do have a rather old tub of "Mentholatum" but my fidgeting has resulted in the label wearing off  :-[

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 12:23:05 pm »
My FiL had shelves full of tins like this, some of which had clearly come from his engineering father and his similarly inclined father before that. (Both had an exhibit in the old Science Museum nautical engineering section.)

FiL continued the tradition but as the years passed the boxes told their own story. I can't recall the exact sequence but it started with tobacco and ended with glucosamine sulphate.
Rust never sleeps