Author Topic: Exal rims  (Read 687 times)

Exal rims
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:24:20 pm »
These are dirt cheap.  A seller on eBay knocks them out in pairs and you don't normally need more than about £20 for two.  There is a reasonable choice of wheel sizes and widths.  Made in Belgium and generally silver (powdercoated, I think, rather than anodised, as the budget doesn't stretch to anodising.  This is a good thing, as anodising is a crappy idea).

They don't normally have eyelets but are a decent double-walled box section, with machined brake tracks.  They have a pinned joint.

They build up very nicely.

I like cheap rims; even Mavics used to be cheap until they started loading them with "value added" rubbish like anodising, machined brake tracks and welded joints.  None of this stuff is actually useful (machined brake tracks were originally necessary because anodising made wet braking terrifying until it wore off, slowly and unevenly).  A rim is a consumable and the most important thing is that it's straight, it builds up without too much trouble and doesn't fail through cracking or spoke pull-through before the brakes wear it down.

For 1/4 the price of Open Pros and only 50g more weight, these are a bargain.
Never tell me the odds.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
Re: Exal rims
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:29:26 pm »
Have a number of pairs of wheels with Exal rims (SP19 and LX17). Built up by Spa cycles.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:37:01 pm »
I don't think Spa would use them if they were crap, given that (a) they sell a lot of wheels so don't want the hassle of inconsistent quality rims and (b) tourists are rather more prone to complaining than your average Halfords customer.

Never tell me the odds.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:59:22 pm »
Have a number of pairs of wheels with Exal rims (SP19 and LX17). Built up by Spa cycles.

I've got an LX17 on the back of my tourer, also from Spa.  Seems to be slowly corroding, where other rims, including the front wheel (Sun CR18) which is obviously experiencing exactly the same weather, haven't.  Which would be fine if I was using a rim brake.

Otherwise no complaints.  Hard to build a bad wheel with a sturdy touring rim like this.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:00:35 am »

I have a Spa/Exal front wheel on my Trek. Over 10,000 km on it and the telltale still has a good depth. When my Open Pros had done ten thou I would start measuring the rim thickness once a month.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:21:09 am »
I have a pair of LX17 and they are bomb proof.  Only difficulty is getting the 28mm GP 4 Seasons on the buggers
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 09:22:59 am »
The Exal rims I have are a great choice in most respects but are bastards to get tyres on/off. Perhaps I should swap to tubeless rim tape, which might be slightly thinner.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:17:57 pm »
Rigida Chrinas have the same reputation but I didn't have too much problem getting folding Schwalbe Durano+ (also notorious for being hard to fit) onto them.  I seek out Specialized Rim Strip (Hargroves, the local Spesh dealer, are generally out of stock of anything basic and useful, although they will have 25 different colours of MTB grips), which is a thin reinforced rim tape and has never let me down.
Never tell me the odds.