Author Topic: Park Tools truing stand TS-8  (Read 1737 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Park Tools truing stand TS-8
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:15:48 am »
Just took delivery of one: https://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-wheel-truing-stand-ts-8

Built like a tank. The silver bracket on the right there slides to accommodate different hubs and is secured by a grub screw at the back. Trouble is, it won't go through the channel because the welded-in nut that takes the grub screw protrudes about 0.5 mm on the inside. Nothing a file won't take care of but hey, Park = quality, right?  >:(
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: Park Tools truing stand TS-8
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 02:46:28 pm »
Further to the above:

The uprights are held by coach bolts through square holes and into Nyloc nuts. The bolts do not seat properly, probably because the powder coat is so thick. It's bloody tough, too: I had to pull the shoulders of the bolts into the holes with the screws against the resistance of both paint & Nyloc with much fiddling, slipping and swearing.

The nuts & bolts are of course all imperialist sizes. I do have imperialist sockets and spanners but no hex keys. Had to replace a ¼" bolt with a 6mm.

The feeler is a poor effort, and tightening the thumbscrew after you've set it in place against the rim moves it.

The wheel sits in V notches in the tops of the uprights. The heights don't match, so that when it's set in loosely the axis isn't horizontal. They do say in the book of words to do up the QR, though.

Doing up the QR is fiddly because the L-section of the uprights gets in the way.

That all, for now.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 02:57:26 pm »
Further to the above:

The uprights are held by coach bolts through square holes and into Nyloc nuts. The bolts do not seat properly, probably because of paint. Dunno what kind of paint they used but it's bloody tough: I had to pull the shoulders of the bolts into the holes with the screws with much fiddling, slipping and swearing.

The nuts & bolts are of course all imperialist sizes. I do have imperialist sockets and spanners but no hex keys. Had to replace a ¼" bolt with a 6mm.

The feeler is a poor effort, and tightening the thumbscrew after you've set it in place against the rim moves it.

The wheel sits in V notches in the tops of the uprights. The heights don't match, so that when it's set in loosely the axis isn't horizontal. They do say in the book of words to do up the QR, though.

Doing up the QR is fiddly because the L-section of the uprights gets in the way.

That all, for now.
Ummm....
It's sounding a bit err.... Poundland.
(Which I'm sure it wasn't)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:28:35 pm »
Poundland times 84.  I can probably modify the feeler to work a bit better.

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
Poundland times 84.  I can probably modify the feeler to work a bit better.

Or send it back as not fit for purpose? 84 Poundlands is a lot for something that isn't quite right. :(
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:19 am »
Yebbut it came from Brexitland, so it'd be a bore to send back, and I've already damaged the finish while making it fit for purpose. I have a few fettles in mind to make it more effective. At least it's sturdy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 06:49:23 pm »
Well at least the rest of us are forewarned. For which thank you.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 07:11:29 pm »
OK it's made from what I presume is fairly thick steel but at £84 it's vastly overpriced for what it is.

And I would prefer 3 independent indicators that you can screw in and out directly.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:56:58 am »
OK it's made from what I presume is fairly thick steel but at £84 it's vastly overpriced for what it is.

IIRC that was the reduced price. There were other stands at about half that but they either had honest comments such as "too flexible" or comments apparently made by chums of the vendors. Anyway, I wanted rid of my Amazon token stock.

And I would prefer 3 independent indicators that you can screw in and out directly.

As I noted, I have a few fettles in mind.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 07:28:47 am »
Sadly this one of the very few Park Tool products that's not up to much - the Park Tool "professional" wheel truing jig is a joy to work with ... at a price.

Rob

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 08:24:11 am »
Yeah. I don't have any great projects in mind, just maintaining the wheels I have. Once I get into it a bit I'll maybe try building, but not yet.