Author Topic: Chain Lube  (Read 1413 times)

Re: Chain Lube
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 09:42:51 am »
I've been using Shimano chain lube recently, found it pretty good. However, when riding on the dusty riverside path I'm having to relube as frequently as if I were riding in heavy rain.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
I've stopped degreasing my chains to see if it prolonged the life of them and it would seem not, I still seem to get circa 2500km (1500miles) out of them, irrespective of lube type.

Last chain I had however just got 4300km out of it (2700 miles) and the only difference was I changed from 50/34 to 46/30 chainset.  This is with a FSA Team issue 11spd chain (which were crazy cheap at Planet X at a time)  I'm on my 3rd of that chain and will see if this distance is to be repeated or if it is an outlier - I change my chains at 0.75 wear indicated on my park tool gauge.   I've tried most lubes and seem to have settled on Finish Line wet (or 'cross country' as the German sites like to call it).
Regards,

Jason

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 02:33:29 pm »
I've taken to using Finish Line Wet Ceramic over the last couple of years.
The transmission doesn't get as dirty as with Finish Line Green, and it seems to last quite well in rainy weather.

My regime is basic. The chain goes on, and I add oil and wipe down if I notice it starting to sound rough.

Rock 'N Roll Gold came out better in the friction/efficiency tests than Prolink, though the application/wipe method is similar - see:
https://www.scribd.com/document/262044061/Velo-Friction-Facts-Chain-Lube-Efficiency-Tests
Slightly disappointed that wasn't the version of the test where Extra Virgin Olive Oil was the 2nd best liquid lube (as opposed top melt-in waxes).

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 02:43:24 pm »
Extra virgin olive oil would make your chain smell best. Presumably similar friction/efficiency results could be achieved with other vegetable oils at less cost.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 02:50:45 pm »
Oxidation...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 02:59:54 pm »
Self sufficiency. When stranded in a bus shelter, you could wipe the grease off your chain and fry a rat
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2019, 03:19:32 pm »
Self sufficiency. When stranded in a bus shelter, you could wipe the grease off your chain and fry a rat

That might become standard in a few weeks time!
Regards,

Jason

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 07:25:24 pm »

That might become standard in a few weeks time!

;D
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 08:02:18 pm »

chain lube could improve it...?

cheers

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:44 pm »
Excellent example of ruining a good joke by careless subtitling.  Blackadder really ought to have asked it "Rat au vin?"
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 02:00:37 pm »
I've taken to using Finish Line Wet Ceramic over the last couple of years.
The transmission doesn't get as dirty as with Finish Line Green, and it seems to last quite well in rainy weather.

How far do  you get between applications? They list on their website as claiming upto 175miles (~280km), which would mean lubing up more than once per ride, which seems a right faff to me.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 02:03:21 pm »
Excellent example of ruining a good joke by careless subtitling.  Blackadder really ought to have asked it "Rat au vin?"

yeah, but I couldn't be bothered to do it myself so I just linked to something on the interweb, even though it isn't perfect....

just don't ask Baldrick for white coffee....

cheers