Author Topic: There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?  (Read 1983 times)

Re: There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 06:35:20 am »
Some of this may be slightly out of date info but around 3 - 4 years ago there was a change in the law regarding what quantity and quality of rat poison could be purchased by the general public. In theory it was an attempt to reduce secondary poisoning up the food chain particularly with birds of prey.

With this in mind I don't have much confidence in the rat poison available to the general public. I would consider finding a local company to come and put some decent strength stuff in or look online.

Or if you have a way of dispatching the buggers such as an decent power air rifle I would recommend cage traps. If you are going down this route feel free to PM me as some traps on the internet are rubbish.

These can be set anywhere as have advantage that non target species can be released unharmed. You will need these checked regularly. Check the exact law on this but we don't want control of pests to lead to cruelty.

Lastly those ultrasonic things. I used to sell them in my work. Some people swore by them, some swore at them. Might be worth a try.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 09:46:04 am »
Don't use poison.  Post-Brexit, rats will be a valuable protein source, and you may need to keep some aside for bartering with an allotment-owning neighbour or a FOAF who keeps chickens.

<Discworld> Rat onna stick? </Discworld>

With ketchup.

You disgust me, its english mustard.  What else?

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2019, 10:22:12 pm »
One splatted rat , outside in the garden.  A trap in the loft was spring & the bait taken, but no kill.

I tiled the gap where the heating pipes come down.  Apparently earlier this evening there was a lot of scrabbling noises from that area.  I'm now thinking of undoing the tile work, popping a couple of traps in & doing a temporary cover with a piece of wood or something.

My sister was not pleased by me sending her a Youtube clip from "1984" of Winston in Room 101  :demon:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2019, 01:38:46 pm »
if a trap is sprung with no victim and the bait taken, it can be clever rodents tugging the bait off sideways/upwards which mayn't spring the trap; it is advocated that you tie the bait onto the trap if you can, eg if you use bacon rind as bait. However it might just be mice; they can sit within the arc of a rat-sized trap and set it off without necessarily coming to harm.

cheers

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2019, 01:50:13 pm »
Don't use poison.  Post-Brexit, rats will be a valuable protein source, and you may need to keep some aside for bartering with an allotment-owning neighbour or a FOAF who keeps chickens.

With ketchup.

Yebbut only the supermarket own-brand - there's no way I'd waste Taylor's on a rodent kebab.  :demon:
If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

It's not the despair... I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 03:11:07 pm »

With ketchup.

Yebbut only the supermarket own-brand - there's no way I'd waste Taylor's on a rodent kebab.  :demon:

This Unit has had French's Spicy inna-squeezy-bottle recommended to it, as it disguises the taste of the rat.  It's also as pikey as Rogerzilla's old Beemer ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 07:37:48 pm »

With ketchup.

This Unit has had French's Spicy inna-squeezy-bottle recommended to it, as it disguises the taste of the rat.  It's also as pikey as Rogerzilla's old Beemer ;D

French on an English rat!!!!!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 11:10:43 am »

With ketchup.

French on an English rat!!!!!

French's != French, as they were keen to point out when la Republique declined to partake of bush 2’s Land War In Asia.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 09:46:34 pm »
Well we appear to have made the kitchen rat proof.  The little fuckers are now trying to tunnel through the floor in the hall.  A hole in the laminate flooring for a radiator pipe has been considerably enlarged by something.  Now blocked with a plug of steel mesh & some traps put down in the one area we can get to in the underfloor void.   

Another kill in  the loft.  I've shifted a lot more cardboard boxes & found a lot more rat shit & evidence of them tunnelling into the insulation.  The thin chipboard in that part of the loft is breaking under my weight so I'm being very careful.

I left the dead rat for my father to dispose of.   He chucked it onto the roof of the adjacent electrical sub-station.  You stupid fucker, says I.  That's just going to attract more of the cannibalistic little bastards.  :facepalm:

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:39 am »
Just in case you thought it might resist them, expanding foam insulation does absolutely nothing to slow them down, it just means they make even more noise chomping their way through it.

I resorted to that desperate measure professionally many years ago - won't make that mistake again!  We had rats making their way through the cavity walls of a terrace of houses, along about 5 houses, to terrorise one poor tenant of ours.  Why they didn't hassle the tenants of the one that was causing the issue by handling and badly storing Chinese food ingredients, I do not know.
Wombat

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:53 pm »
They have received a Letter From The Council , saying that The Council is aware of complaints of rats in gardens in their street & from a 1/4 mile around.   The Council do not propose to do anything about this unless they pay them Moar Money ......   so whats the £2.2K council tax for then ?  >:(

Traps in the garden have had the bait removed untouched.  Traps in the loft haven't been disturbed & they've heard no further scratching noises.