Author Topic: What is good about info controls?  (Read 4404 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What is good about info controls?
« Reply #25 on: 17 March, 2019, 01:09:43 pm »
I also agree with mattc (like most tech enthusiasts, I have a strong luddite streak):  By all means use a camera (safely - I've no objection to ride-by photos taken from the back of a tandem, for example) as way to make notes for yourself in preference to writing things down in a rush at the roadside, especially if you're dyslexic and liable to transpose numbers, or your camera is more waterproof than your brevet card.  You can copy the details onto the card while digesting CAKE at the next control.

Cameras can also come in handy as a controller-friendly[1] means of obtaining some form of proof when things go wrong.  I've taken timestamped and geotagged photos of myself standing in the dark outside a unexpectedly closed commercial control, and of a group of cyclists looking confused at a recently-nicked signpost, to good effect.

But I don't see much point in going to the effort to use photos routinely as electronic PoP; you might as well use GPS.

[1] They may accept you showing them a photo on a smartphone screen, but wouldn't know what to do with a GPX file.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: What is good about info controls?
« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2019, 02:47:07 pm »
Aidan provided a brilliant info on the New Border Raid 600... he zip tied a laminated "INFO: xyz" answer to a sign post. After the slog to get there in the hills and headwind it was a blessed relief to see. Not only was it humorous, it was a massive encouragement that I was in the right place. It's an idea I might adopt for some of my controls too. I did have a secret control on a wiggly 100km ride once. A few riders were worried they'd missed it, but I'd only put secret to keep them honest. I hadn't actually created a secret control. With hindsight that may have been evil. Actually evil. Hmmm, the truth was not in me that day. #repent.