Author Topic: Recommend a discreet rack pack or small messenger bag.  (Read 5706 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Recommend a discreet rack pack or small messenger bag.
« on: 23 March, 2019, 11:07:59 am »
Recommend a discreet rack pack or small messenger bag.

Looking for a small bag that can pass as an everyday (non-cycling) bag off the bike. Muted colours. No stripes or reflectives. I would want to mount it on top of a pannier rack or wear it as a messenger bag (for which I would want a stabiliser strap/belt). Needs to hold bike lights and valuables, nothing more, so small is good.

Re: Recommend a discreet rack pack or small messenger bag.
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2019, 10:00:40 am »
How would you want to mount it to the pannier rack? I don't think I've ever seen anything that mounts to a rack and works as a messenger bag (never mind looking non-bikey off the bike). Most rack packs (Carradice Super C, Arkel Tailrider, &c.) have a shoulder strap, but can't really be worn as messenger bags. A small messenger bag (e.g. BigxTop mini messenger) could be strapped to a rack, but it might be a bit of a bodge involving bungees. If I had to have a bag off the bike all day I'd probably get something suitable for that (and with just lights and valuables it could just be a musette?), and then get something like a basket and cargo net to carry it securely under way.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2019, 01:11:55 pm »
How would you want to mount it to the pannier rack?

Brompton block?  This thought influenced by the proliferation of civvy-looking messenger style bags designed to clip to the front of Bromptons.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2019, 03:26:22 pm »
How would you want to mount it to the pannier rack? ....
I want a bag that I can carry while cycling into town to meet friends. Bag would come with me when I park, and would hold bike lights.  A small messenger bag with waist strap would work for me. I would wear that as a messenger bag when on the bike. A rack pack would be an alternative. Keen to avoid red flashes, white stripes, yellow hi vis elements.

« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2019, 03:54:13 pm »
I use one of these (in XS size) as my daily bag (I'm not into "proper" handbags, and this is more hardwearing and practical). I hardly ever cycle with it, but have done so. Never tried mounting it to a rack, though - I suspect that would involve bungees.

That BTwin posted upthread looks good too.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2019, 04:55:49 pm »
I use one of these (in XS size) as my daily bag (I'm not into "proper" handbags, and this is more hardwearing and practical). I hardly ever cycle with it, but have done so. Never tried mounting it to a rack, though - I suspect that would involve bungees.
Does the Timbuk2 XS have a cross strap? I have an older model that doesn't, though the larger models do. So it can swing about when cycling. I might buy a cross strap to add on, but can't find any UK shops selling them.

Though, yes, it is nice as an everyday 'handbag'. Also good as a small camera bag, with a padded insert.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2019, 06:25:10 pm »
Thanks. Yes, a small messenger bag in grey or black would do. To clarify, I'm not looking to put a messenbger bag on a rack.
Pics at that link seem to show the small Timbuk2 without stabiliser strap. I say 'seem to' because they only show the model from behind. Does the Timbuk2 bag come with a stabiliser strap to stop the bag swinging round to your front when you're riding? That's a key requirement.

« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2019, 06:26:18 pm »
Thanks. Yes, a small messneger bag in grey or black would do. Does the Timbuk2 bag come with a stabiliser strap to stop the bag swinging round to your front when you're riding?

I have one on mine, but I *think* I had to get it separately (though can't quite remember as it was years ago). I believe the bigger versions come with them.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2019, 07:11:09 pm »
Thanks for that.

As an alternative plan, I guess I could adapt an existing bag to add a waist strap.

I've found a listing for a Rapha Musette. It's interesting to see how they attach the waist strap - looks like a single anchor point on the side of the bag. I reckon I could add one of those to a cotton canvas bag.

Perhaps I'll check out army surplus musettes too.

« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2019, 08:50:30 pm »
IME if a musette-type bag has an adjustable strap properly angled at the seams it doesn't need a stabiliser strap with light loads as long as it's cinched up.

The BigxTop mini messenger would fit your brief (albeit at the bigger end for keys and valuables) and is a great bag - I've had a play with a mate's before - but isn't cheap.

« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:58:41 am »
Wouldn't pretty much any shoulder bag (and no rack bag) serve the purpose? 
I've cycled to meetings often enough with a briefcase over my shoulder.  Needs adjustment now and then but not a big deal if not going far, and nothing heavy in it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 25 March, 2019, 09:22:07 am »

Dunno if it fits your desired usecase, but I've used an Exped Typhoon 15 backpack as my handbag, and commuter backpack for the last year and a half. It's been great. Dunno if it's what you want tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #13 on: 25 March, 2019, 01:25:52 pm »
Wouldn't pretty much any shoulder bag (and no rack bag) serve the purpose? 
I've cycled to meetings often enough with a briefcase over my shoulder.  Needs adjustment now and then but not a big deal if not going far, and nothing heavy in it.
Can't really have it swinging round to the front, which has happened when I've tried this previously. I'll be travelling along a major city centre road in stop-start traffic, so I need not to have to think about the bag.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2019, 01:31:28 pm »
Have we covered the leave-on-the-bike basket (or bike bins or something) to carry a normal bag option yet?  That worked extremely well for my friend with extremely specific shoulder strap requirements, particularly when we discovered that their bike's factory-fitted rear rack would accept a quick-release basket that could be locked in place.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2019, 08:30:21 am »
This bike will be left in Manchester city centre, an area where anything left attached to the bike will be fiddled with by the light-fingered. I was previously using a pouch on the frame which got half-inched Friday night (despite it being empty at the time).

« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2019, 11:03:32 am »
quite a lot of small messenger type bags can (if lightly loaded and with a good closure) be used as a frame bag on frames with horizontal top tubes that are not too small ; just fold the closure over the top tube and fasten it. The shoulder strap goes inside the bag of course. You may need to add some steadies (mini-bungies?) at the corners to stop it from flapping around.

In a similar vein I have often wondered if a small bag could be made which fits snugly inside a U lock; if you have the U lock on the bike anyway, the bag can be removed when locking your bike, and there is nothing left on the bike when it is parked.

FWIW whether a messenger bag needs a steady when it is slung over your shoulder depends on the bag and  what kind of clothes you wear; some combinations are very slippery and the bag just won't stay put unless it is strapped. Others will stay in place quite well.

cheers

« Reply #18 on: 27 March, 2019, 12:17:42 pm »
What about a Junior Carradice bag (no side pockets) on a bagman quick release? With a shoulder strap it would look like a normal shoulder bag.

« Reply #19 on: 27 March, 2019, 07:46:15 pm »

il soigneur musette.https://discerningcyclist.com/2012/11/il-soigneur-musette-review/

Alas, they seem to be defunct, but Carradice do various simple musettes, including swanky tweed ones.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 27 March, 2019, 07:56:07 pm »
This bike will be left in Manchester city centre, an area where anything left attached to the bike will be fiddled with by the light-fingered. I was previously using a pouch on the frame which got half-inched Friday night (despite it being empty at the time).

Yeah, hence the need for something that can be bolted (if not actually locked) in place.

« Reply #21 on: 27 March, 2019, 08:58:14 pm »
I've got one of the large Chrome messenger bags.  Very tough, comfy shoulder strap, stabiliser strap .

https://www.ridelow.co.uk/chrome-citizen-messenger-bike-bag.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #22 on: 30 March, 2019, 12:57:42 pm »
We have several very light sacks for going on backs. They would be a musette except that they have two cords that loop round the neck to act as drawstrings and are fixed to the bottom corners so they become the straps for going on your back. Just takes A4 size papers (or baguettes sticking out of the top, the most common use for me) and light enough to go in the pocket folded up. Don't ask where you can buy them, all we have have come as freebies at various events (my preferred one is from the 2003 Brive-Rocamadour, they are fairly resistant).

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #23 on: 02 April, 2019, 03:39:33 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have ordered a few different army surplus haversacks to try for size. They're essentially heavy duty musettes with belt loops. Will keep the one I like best.

« Reply #24 on: 02 April, 2019, 04:10:13 pm »
I have ordered a few different army surplus haversacks to try for size. They're essentially heavy duty musettes with belt loops.
Link please.