Author Topic: Ownersip of Flat Let/Credibility of landlord  (Read 345 times)

CAMRAMan

• Formerly A Warwickshire Lad
Ownersip of Flat Let/Credibility of landlord
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:39 am »
There may well be no no need or reason for this information, but better safe than sorry...
I have found a very nice flat in a good part of Coventry (yes, there are some!). It's a private let without an agent involved. Now, that means no agency fees, which is good, but the rent is very reasonable - almost too good to be true.

With that in mind, apart from a check on the Land Registry, how can I check whether it's a kosher deal and not a potential deposit/rental rip off?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Ownersip of Flat Let/Credibility of landlord
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:26:11 am »
Google his/her name, establish it is the proper landlord and find a different way of contacting than the one you have been given. e.g. if you have an email, contact via LinkedIn or similar.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

CAMRAMan

• Formerly A Warwickshire Lad
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:51:14 am »
It's a Gumtree ad & s/he has no Gumtree history. I only have a first name at this stage. Senses tingling at this stage...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:01:11 am »
I would ask to have a chat with the current tenant.

Most landlords or even agencies with facilitate that, as a anti-fraud check as much as anything.

There is a known scam going around which sounds really really similar to what you are describing.

https://homelet.co.uk/tenants/blog/article/rental-property-scams%E2%80%93how-to-avoid-them

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ben T

• What you saying, then?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:03:42 pm »
Check they do actually own it i.e. aren't subletting
Unless you put on overalls, boots, and a helmet with a high tech pre fitted lamp - and you dig coal - nope, you don't know me.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.