Author Topic: Goalzero  (Read 1436 times)

Goalzero
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:59:22 pm »
Goalzero 7+, nice little unit but has 1 issue. Don't charge something when you have it hanging off the back of the bike. The controller box with the USB socket plugs into the panel, could do with a half turn or screw fixing. Lost mine, bumped loose on the ripio. No real backup from company, just a list of retailers, no reply to email. Only shop 2000 kms away in Buenos Aires. Looked to buy a spare box but it's not listed in accessories and no spare parts list. . Will be going on ebay for a used one, or a different make.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Goalzero
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:39:19 pm »
The review might be more helpful if you told us what a Goalzero was ...

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:46:24 pm »
Goalzero make solar panel powered chargers.   I bought an A4 sized one a couple of years back.  It was shoved to the back of the gear cupboard after one trip.   Granted, Belgium in September probably wasn't ideal conditions for solar charging.     I think Kim has had some success with a folding solar panel, but she seems to use it more at campsites rather than when on the bike.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 02:52:25 pm »
I think Kim has had some success with a folding solar panel, but she seems to use it more at campsites rather than when on the bike.

A now-discontinued 15W PortaPow.  I've been pleasantly surprised by its performance in real-world conditions (given a device that's sensible about charging from an intermittently current-limited source - you might only get 0.3-0.4A in cloudy conditions in September, vs the full 2.4A in summer sun, but that's sill enough to be useful if it's charging for hours).  However, I haven't yet needed to use it on the moving bike (I have pulled it out and draped it on the recumbent seat during a lunch stop a couple of times, to make use of the midday sun).  I expect you lose a lot by not angling it in the rough direction of the sun[1], which is generally achievable when loitering within tent.

I have however modified it so that one of the USB sockets (which are on short flying leads in a cache-battery-sized pouch on the back) has a pair of Tamiya connectors inline, so I can extend it with the same cable I use to connect the E-werk[2] to the bike wiring loom, and keep the delicate stuff in a dry tent (or indeed pannier).

Works well when you (or at least your tent) are staying put at a campsite all day, where a dynamo charger isn't going to achieve much.  I've also used it on the dashboard of a parked car, which has obvious security advantages, if the car's pointing in roughly the right direction, and doesn't make solar charging irrelevant.

[1] A small USB power meter is surprisingly useful for aligning it in cloudy conditions.
[2] Indeed, if connected together the E-werk will happily run on the ~12VDC raw output from the panel (there's a regulator in the USB socket), which is useful if you're using it to charge batteries directly.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 08:10:01 pm »
The 7+ has 4 blue leds to give an indication of the charging, was good for positioning the panel. Don't know if the old 7 panel had the same usb box. Says somewhere you can link up the panels, that might sway me into buying another.