Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 26280 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #425 on: August 06, 2020, 08:13:08 pm »
As we are a cycling forum no thread about tools should be without a mention of Abbey Tools www.abbeybiketools.com

I particularly like their Crombie Tool and when I win the lottery I'll buy one of their dishing gauges...
They're ideal for doing little bits on your bike when you have one of your yachts moored in Monaco.

« Reply #426 on: August 07, 2020, 05:37:21 pm »
 ;D and the Ti versions will not go rusty with the salt in the air while on your yacht.  But in all seriousness I am very impressed with how well the Crombie tool works, it's a really good fit in the lockring and is easier to use than the Park Tools socket with a ratchet handle as there is no play whatsoever when you are holding it as well as being lighter.

« Reply #427 on: August 21, 2020, 03:16:57 pm »
The fork die I bought recently (used once by its original owner) has paid for itself by

1. Cleaning the skanky threads on the Merckx fork
2. Enabling me to sell an otherwise useless 26tpi fork (with long steerer) by cutting off the 26tpi bit and threading it for 24tpi.  It makes beautiful threads and my fussiest alloy headset race goes on smoothly.  It was quite a fun job, and requires a fair bit of welly even with lashings of cutting oil.

Bike-specific dies cost a bomb but this appears to have the correct thread profile and came from a general tools factor.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #428 on: September 01, 2020, 08:22:17 pm »
I lashed out £10 on a Gumtree purchase of a scroll-saw (a.k.a. electric fretwork machine if you did school woodwork in the same era as me) - pretty much in as new condition with retail at about £160 - I have had to buy some blades though.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #429 on: September 01, 2020, 09:17:48 pm »
I have a thing for Elu routers. I have 6 of them. Of the same model (MOF96). There's just something about them.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #430 on: September 03, 2020, 07:27:28 pm »

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #431 on: September 04, 2020, 08:56:26 am »
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #432 on: September 04, 2020, 11:08:58 am »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #433 on: September 04, 2020, 11:27:28 am »
And the hammer.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #434 on: September 04, 2020, 11:29:41 am »
NOW it's a yacf meme.  A bunch of know-it-alls pointing out what's wrong with a joke.  ;D

« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2020, 07:08:10 pm »
My Vessel 220w-3 Screwdriver set has just arrived from Yokohama . 3 interchangeable double ended bits . 6mm slotted/ no 2 Jis   , no 1 Jis / No 3 Jis , No 2 pozy / No 3 pozy  . I tell you it's dead lush. I am so smitten I have ordered another one. For £ 12.00 off Ebay you canny fall off .
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul  three wheels Nurses !!!

« Reply #436 on: September 07, 2020, 08:04:39 am »
My Vessel 220w-3 Screwdriver set has just arrived from Yokohama . 3 interchangeable double ended bits . 6mm slotted/ no 2 Jis   , no 1 Jis / No 3 Jis , No 2 pozy / No 3 pozy  . I tell you it's dead lush. I am so smitten I have ordered another one. For £ 12.00 off Ebay you canny fall off .

Thanks for the tip(!)
Ordered one.  It's worth it just for the bits

Henry Phillips invented and patented the Phillips® design in 1936. The Phillips® design was a great solution for the automobile production lines since it was designed to “cam-out” after a certain torque was reached to prevent over-tightening of the screw. Another advantage over the use of flat head screws was that the Phillips® self-centering design allowed operators to engage the tip of the driver into the screw head very quickly and easily.
Japanese engineers developed their own cross-point design similar to that of the Phillips®. The Japanese cross-point drivers also have the self-centering and quick tool and screw engagement, however the “JIS” (Japanese Industrial Standard) design allowed torque and over-tightening to be controlled by the operator and not at the head of the screw. This key difference is why Phillips screwdrivers cannot properly engage "JIS” (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws.
Sic transit and all that..

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #437 on: September 07, 2020, 08:58:12 am »
NOW it's a yacf meme.  A bunch of know-it-alls pointing out what's wrong with a joke.  ;D

And a cludge.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #438 on: September 07, 2020, 09:10:42 am »
And the hammer.

Isn't WD40 a chemical hammer?
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2020, 04:10:48 pm »

And a cludge.

Better than a cludgie.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2020, 04:31:58 pm »
I have a thing for Elu routers. I have 6 of them. Of the same model (MOF96). There's just something about them.

Do we need to have an intervention?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2020, 04:33:27 pm »

Just for the JIS and vessel that is good.

My machine mart JIS screwdrivers weren't much less, but they don't sell them any more.