Author Topic: Help - Assos chamois pad position  (Read 2127 times)

Help - Assos chamois pad position
« on: April 23, 2019, 06:57:46 pm »
Need some advice and help here with the position of the chamois pad on some new Assos Mille S7 bib shorts.

I find that the pad is positioned half way up my bum in a normal riding position, leaving my sit bone resting on the narrow section at the front of the chamois pad. For some reason the pad is not stitched in place, so after a short while pedaling the pad ends up riding, ermm, let's say up-over :-X, and leaving my sit bone with no support.

Is there some secret to wearing Assos bib shorts?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Has anyone ever tried stitching the pad in place so it does not slip out of position? I have no idea if this is possible or even advisable.

At the moment I feel that I have thrown a good chunk of money away on useless bib shorts, although I would really like to try to make them "work".

International order, return is not really an option from where I am.

Don't have this problem with my other bibs - PI Elite and DeSoto, nor some cheap shorts from Decathlon.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or tips....

Re: Help - Assos chamois pad position
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08:18 pm »
I've several pairs of 3/4s with, what I believe, is the same pad.
I've not had any issues with them.
Sorry - not the reply you were hoping for.

ETA - the bumf states that 'the pad moves with you' (or words to that effect) and, tbf, it isn't sewn in in the same way as pads were in their earlier shorts. Personally, I find this feature a bonus.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:45 am »
Perhaps they're the wrong size for you? If they're too big I can see this happening - I've dropped 2 sizes recently (Endura 260's in my case) and the difference in pad position is marked. As is the ease (or lack of!) of getting them on  :).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:01:09 pm »
Perhaps they're the wrong size for you? If they're too big I can see this happening - I've dropped 2 sizes recently (Endura 260's in my case) and the difference in pad position is marked. As is the ease (or lack of!) of getting them on  :).

I think maybe this is the problem, although the size is as per Assos recommendations ... maybe they are too small in the body, although they feel about right, I bought a large, 182 cm tall and 75 kg.

Tried forcing them forward a little on last night's ride, started off sitting on the pad, but then the pad just worked its way back. Really uncomfortable.

Looks like these are not going to work for me ...

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:15:25 am »
Cycling clothing sizes are a mystery, I am about your size, 180cm/74kg but in castelli bibs the best fit is extra extra large, does nothing for my body image but they fit nice and comfortable for 12+ hours

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:35:40 am »
Most normal folk are XXL or XL in Castelli! BTDTGTGabba  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:09:45 am »

Sounds right. The body shape of current Assos shorts is excellent, far better than the previous models, but you need to get the size right: they're supposed to fit like a second skin.

The edges of the pad are left floating on purpose: I'd guess that the intent is to let the outer layer move without dragging the pad against your skin as much as they would otherwise.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 03:39:28 pm »
I think maybe this is the problem, although the size is as per Assos recommendations ... maybe they are too small in the body, although they feel about right, I bought a large, 182 cm tall and 75 kg.

I've got the same shorts in the same size and I'm 185cm and 90kg, I'm not experiencing the pad issues that you are and they are very comfortable, sounds like you need to go down a size. Assos shorts which have only very limited wear will fetch a decent price on ebay or other outlets (including here ... I'd probably be interested)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 05:57:46 pm »
I've got the same shorts in the same size and I'm 185cm and 90kg, I'm not experiencing the pad issues that you are and they are very comfortable, sounds like you need to go down a size. Assos shorts which have only very limited wear will fetch a decent price on ebay or other outlets (including here ... I'd probably be interested)
[/quote]

Would love to sell them to you, if you ever happen to be passing through São Paulo ....

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 02:45:10 pm »
Thought it was interesting to do a rather unscientific comparison of the Assos pad position compared with some Peral Izumi Elite Escape bibs and a recently arrived pair of Red White bibs, just for me to confirm that I do not have some weird body shape ... don't know how to post photos here, but lying the bibs flat side-by-side shows that the the Assos pad is some 10 cm 'higher up' than the PI pad and 12 cm higher up that the Red White pad. The Red White pad is the one that works best for me, perfectly positioned and very comfortable.

Assos is definitely not designed for me, and I must admit that I was unaware of such difference between brands. 

Live and learn.