Author Topic: LEL2021 - route details  (Read 12931 times)

bairn again

Re: LEL2021 - route details
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2019, 02:49:13 pm »
Ive ridden up and down Princes St Edinburgh a few times with a not very confident cyclist to get an alternative view on the tramlines.  I updated Wilkyboy verbally at Red Lodge on the Flatlands (though i got there with just  12 mins to spare due to a visitation or 3 so was a bit breathless). 

Id be suggesting a Craigleith - Inverleith Park - Holyrood - Commonwealth Pool route.  Inverleith Park offers great views of the castle eg is used for viewing of the twice yearly fireworks.  A close up of Holyrood Palace is nice too. 

It will be a bit towny between Inverleith Row and Holyrood but nothing dramatic. 

« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2019, 03:09:26 pm »

Some of my Randonneurs NL friends have asked me about how they can ride 2021. Most of them aren't AUK members, and won't have the number of LRM rides for a guaranteed place.

What are the options? I'd like to be able to give a useful answer then they ask next.

J

There will be a ballot for the remaining (non guaranteed) places.  So they will need to enter the ballot when it comes up.   Being  in the LEL 2021 FB group will help in terms of knowing what is happening when.

They can also register their interest at https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2019, 10:34:54 pm »
QG .. the possible routes in for anyone without a guaranteed place are

1 .. The ballot for 500 places that will take place in Sept. this year. The window to register for the ballot will be about a week long at the end of Aug /beginning Sept.  Fortunate applicants notified as soon as we can do the admin .. guessing 2 weeks . Deposit of £100 payable if fortunate .. refundable less an admin cost if cancelling by end November 2020. We need this cash input to fund things like deposits for booked  controls, and all the development costs and expenses that are under way already etc etc

or

2 In Jan 2021 .. when the AUK members application period has closed .. we will know how many places are still available .. current guess 800/900 .. and there will again be a ballot for registered applicants .. the date to be on this register is not time defined yet .. but if I had to guess I imagine the first two weeks in Jan 2021.

the LEL facebook group is good for keeping people up to speed on what has happened so far and will be useful from now on

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2019, 10:39:58 pm »
Wasn’t there the option of bringing a family member over to volunteer to guarantee a place?

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »
You are right .. that is an extra route in that I had overlooked .

Trawl back thru the facebook group posts and this is all explained there.. together with the clear statement that claiming a place this way .. but then failing to provide the volunteer .. will lead to no refund of entry cost and no validation of the ride.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2019, 11:13:58 pm »
I trawled back thru the facebook group .. this was Danials post ... so straight from the horses mouth.. but things move on so the initial ballot is as my timing a couple of posts ago....... not as below.. we need the cash  and Danial goes on holiday .

As promised, here is a little bit more news about entering LEL in 2021.

Entry for LEL2021 will be by ballot. There will be a two-week period in January where you will be able to enter. We will then randomly select riders and groups of riders to offer a place to.

During this time some groups of people will be able to enter automatically:

• London Edinburgh London 2017 and Windsor Chester Windsor 2019 volunteers
• Audax UK or Audax Ireland members who were members on 12 September 2018, and remain members on 1 January 2021
• Anyone who has completed a Les Randonneurs Mondiaux validated event in each of the calendar years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
• Anyone who brings a spouse or immediate adult family relative (parent, child, sibling) to volunteer, both at London and another control, for at least three full days.

If you don’t already have a guaranteed slot, there are now only two ways to earn one. You can either volunteer at Windsor Chester Windsor on 1-2 June, or you can bring an adult family relative to volunteer for at least three days during the event.

We’ll also open for early entries in October this year. Just £100 deposit guarantees your place in 2021. Again, this will be by ballot.

Meanwhile, in other news we continue to prepare for 2021. Below is a photo from a route recce this weekend. If you know where this is, keep it to yourself!

« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2019, 11:23:27 pm »
Ive ridden up and down Princes St Edinburgh a few times with a not very confident cyclist to get an alternative view on the tramlines.  I updated Wilkyboy verbally at Red Lodge on the Flatlands (though i got there with just  12 mins to spare due to a visitation or 3 so was a bit breathless). 

Id be suggesting a Craigleith - Inverleith Park - Holyrood - Commonwealth Pool route.  Inverleith Park offers great views of the castle eg is used for viewing of the twice yearly fireworks.  A close up of Holyrood Palace is nice too. 

It will be a bit towny between Inverleith Row and Holyrood but nothing dramatic.

And of course this route allows for a cheeky flyby past Hogwarts.  ;)
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2019, 07:26:18 am »

And of course this route allows for a cheeky flyby past Hogwarts.  ;)

I shall make sure to note it on the routesheet   :thumbsup:
RRTY #7 done.  Need something else to do ... ah, welcome #8 8)

« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2019, 08:55:14 am »

I would agree with this as it is the route I take into central Edinburgh when commuting - avoids all tramlines (unless they have extended it by then!) and follows the blue route (76?) through North Edinburgh, but still take you close enough to all the sights and smells if a tourist diversion is required.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »
I am so slow of thought (and reading skillz) that I've only just noticed the new August start date!  :facepalm:

What was the reason for moving it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2019, 02:02:47 pm »
I am so slow of thought (and reading skillz) that I've only just noticed the new August start date!  :facepalm:

What was the reason for moving it?

Barnard Castle availability, I believe.
RRTY #7 done.  Need something else to do ... ah, welcome #8 8)

« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2019, 05:55:33 am »
Wilkyboy is correct.

Barnard Castle was such a gorgeous control, we were prepared to shift the event a week to keep it for 2021.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2019, 06:46:43 am »
Thanks both!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles