Author Topic: LEL 2021 Route  (Read 17404 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: LEL2021 - route details
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »
I think lots of potential riders (like myself) would be interested in the route and its gestation, even at this distance.

The event is still well over year away, possibly two (depending on how this virus-wotsit carries on). 

We already have a number of local riders generously guiding us through "their patch", particularly the new bits, and I'm looking forward to riding out with them later in the year (presuming we'll be allowed to).  Once I get a chance to ride some of the new sections, I hope to keep a rolling update, but right now there isn't enough flesh to it.
RRTY #7 done.  Need something else to do ... ah, welcome #8 8)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2020, 01:07:48 pm »
FWIW this is the most precient post I've seen for a very long time. To run in 2021 a decision will have to be made very early in the year, monies laid out, deposits paid, etc. That's a big risk. I'm glad Danial does this so I don't have to. That's a big decision.
The event is still well over year away, possibly two (depending on how this virus-wotsit carries on).   
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2020, 01:53:12 pm »
FWIW this is the most precient post I've seen for a very long time. To run in 2021 a decision will have to be made very early in the year, monies laid out, deposits paid, etc. That's a big risk. I'm glad Danial does this so I don't have to. That's a big decision.

Danial mentioned he's exploring the idea over on FB in the last day or so.  However, he said to assume that it's still going ahead in 2021, it's just everyone might have less fitness*.

* so those hills are going to feel bigger than ever  :demon:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: LEL 2021 Route
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2020, 03:21:26 pm »
Close (to 1500km) by design.
Why don't you have a read of the LEL 2021 Route thread?  ::-)
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111765.0

Because with all the searching, I couldn't find that thread, so started a new one.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2020, 03:41:50 pm »
I believe LRM is now allowing extra time for "hillyness" when the organiser requests it. In light of the additional 3000m sight seeing, will there be a AAAllowance? (hey, more time to enjoy the food at the controls, right?  ;D)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2020, 03:44:36 pm »
I believe LRM is now allowing extra time for "hillyness" when the organiser requests it. In light of the additional 3000m sight seeing, will there be a AAAllowance? (hey, more time to enjoy the food at the controls, right?  ;D)

I doubt there will be any allowance, the route is generally still less than the UK average "norm" of 1% and waaaay less than AAA territory (apart from a few places).

TBH you shouldn't need it — the bump from 1400 to 1500 already provides a nice drop in minimum speed that gives quite a few extra hours.

The route is flat.  Apart from the hilly bits, which are quite hilly  ::-)

« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:29 pm »
I doubt there will be any allowance, the route is generally still less than the UK average "norm" of 1% and waaaay less than AAA territory (apart from a few places).
TBH you shouldn't need it — the bump from 1400 to 1500 already provides a nice drop in minimum speed that gives quite a few extra hours.
The route is flat.  Apart from the hilly bits, which are quite hilly  ::-)
Clearly you expect 2021 to be hillier than 2017, but to support your generalisation, even the 2017 stretch that might offer the highest climb for distance percentage (going on the profile) - crossing under the M1 going north to the top of Yad Moss going south was 465km and (according to my plot) 4710m: dead on the 1% normal for UK.

« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:58 pm »

The 2013 & 2017 editions had 2.75AAA, but not sure exactly how that was arrived at. As I recall, when reviewing the new assessment tool, the ~600km section north of the Tees was just under the AAA threshold, I suspect the new route will be adding more distance than climbing so unlikely to qualify.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #233 on: Today at 02:12:57 pm »
The 2013 & 2017 editions had 2.75AAA, but not sure exactly how that was arrived at. As I recall, when reviewing the new assessment tool, the ~600km section north of the Tees was just under the AAA threshold, I suspect the new route will be adding more distance than climbing so unlikely to qualify.

It's for a 100km section around Edinburgh.

There's very little LEL happening at the moment. We usually have this lull around now, once the vent is framed but before we start to organise the event itself. At the moment I'm working to a 2021 event but will be exploring postponing until 2022. I can't do that for a while though, because most of the schools are closed.

« Reply #234 on: Today at 08:33:40 pm »

IIRC we were still "testing" & "tuning" the new tool at the time the 2017 route was planned, and the merest tweak of the settings (or even of how accurately the route was drawn to follow the roads) could yield AAA values as low as zero points and as high as 10 points.    I rather suspect 2.75 for was selected for consistency with 2017 because the Lincolnshire Wolds were insufficiently lumpy
(click to show/hide)