Author Topic: Caledonian Sleeper - New! Improved!  (Read 1496 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Caledonian Sleeper - New! Improved!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:10 am »
I think it depends - a lot of disabled people are more likely to need showers for disability reasons... Tanni GT has said she's going to livestream herself protesting by going from the Cal sleeper to a station shower in her PJs to make a poitn.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 08:02:29 am »
I've just got off the new sleeper. I had the first class, room and ensuite to myself. So a quick review seems useful...

Bike space was 3 dangly ones, plus another 3 occupied by big bags of bedding. There's a sharp right after the door, but the spaces are open from the corridor so easy to get at.

The room was comfy enough, but panniers or airline take-ok case is about all you can get under the bed. The floor space in the room is pretty narrow.

The shower involves flapping a lid down over the toilet, so that and the paper mostly stay dry. It wasn't high pressure, but warm and freshened me up in the morning. There's two handles and a seat to sit on, so more accessible for balance than many hotel showers. There are wheelchair adapted rooms, which were in use.

I have the impression that they're still getting used to the new trains, but we arrived on time and staff were pretty good at helping fix any issues.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 08:47:36 am »
Interesting to read about longitudinal vs transverse sleeping. I've seen the former on Russian trains in the open carriages (a carriage full of bunk beds – it might not even exist now).
They do exist still though the one I used on Tuesday is a private service so maybe doesn't count. 4 transverse per 2 longitudinal, either works for me.
2019 targets: TINAT 160 rough
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 10:49:56 am »
I've just got off the new sleeper. I had the first class, room and ensuite to myself. So a quick review seems useful...

Bike space was 3 dangly ones, plus another 3 occupied by big bags of bedding. There's a sharp right after the door, but the spaces are open from the corridor so easy to get at.

The room was comfy enough, but panniers or airline take-ok case is about all you can get under the bed. The floor space in the room is pretty narrow.

The shower involves flapping a lid down over the toilet, so that and the paper mostly stay dry. It wasn't high pressure, but warm and freshened me up in the morning. There's two handles and a seat to sit on, so more accessible for balance than many hotel showers. There are wheelchair adapted rooms, which were in use.

I have the impression that they're still getting used to the new trains, but we arrived on time and staff were pretty good at helping fix any issues.

Was it busy or is Serco's ridiculous pricing clearly blowing holes in their feet?

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 11:03:39 am »
Not packed, but there were maybe a dozen in the bar carriage when i went to bed.
I booked early enough that the price compared well to daytime train and a cheap hotel.